Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12525 Discussions

NUC12WSKi70Z stuck on 100 Mbps

cjessing
Novice

Just came home with a new NUC12WSKi70Z, set it up (Windows 10 Pro) and wanted to copy some additional installation files onto my hard drive. I then noticed it was going rather slow and upon examining my network connection I realized it only negotiates 100/100 (Mbps):

Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 100/100 (Mbps)
Primary DNS suffix: localdomain
Manufacturer: Intel
Description: Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V
Driver version: 1.1.3.28

AFAIK this is the latest driver for my NUC model. And I should mention that Speed & Duplex is set to Auto negotiate.

As soon as I move the ethernet cable from the NUC to a desktop PC it negotiates 1 Gbps. So clearly the issue is not the cable, the router or anything other than the NUC.

Can anyone help me? What's the point of adding a 2.5 Gbps port if it can't get more than 100 Mbps? I'm using WiFi instead as this gives me twice the speed.

Please advice

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @cjessing 

Checking your SSU report, it appears to me that you have not correctly installed the network drivers. I suggest that you should reinstall it using clean installation method:

1. Download the following drivers:  Intel® Chipset Device Software

and the Intel® Ethernet (LAN) Network Connection Driver and save it on your drive.  Disconnect the Internet Connection.

2. Install the Intel Chipset Device Software and reboot your NUC.

3. Uninstall the currently installed Network Driver (follow the procedure for Clean Driver Installation). 

4. Install the previously downloaded Intel Ethernet Network Driver.

5. Reconnect the Internet and check.

Leon

Edit:

Please also download the Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver and install it right after installing the Chipset Software. Reboot your NUC.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You've updated the BIOS to the latest (86, here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/739909/bios-update-wsadl357.html)?

You've manually installed all of the drivers available here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?ws=idsa-default#q=NUC12WSKi7&f:@tabfilter=[Downl... especially the Chipset Device Software and Intel Management Engine packages?

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. Important note: The Intel Driver and Support Assistant (IDSA) is only a maintenance tool; you cannot rely on it to install all necessary packages - and, in fact, cannot rely on it to maintain all packages (see these articles: Things to Know Before I Start to Use Intel Driver & Support AssistantIntel Driver & Support Assistant FAQ and Intel Driver & Support Assistant Exclusions).

cjessing
Novice

I have now Bios and a couple of the other drivers were already updated. Unfortunately it has not helped a bit. Is it possible it's a hardware issue?

n_scott_pearson

You may indeed have a hardware issue. I suggest that you contact Intel Customer Support directly to discuss possible RMA.

You can start here: Contact Intel Support or use this page where you can directly look up local/country phone numbers: Intel Support Phone Directory. You can also use the online forms service or email, but I recommend calling them directly. The above link provides local or toll-free numbers for most countries and these numbers support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered only in English and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

cjessing
Novice
Before I start an RMA is the some sort of report I can run and post the results here? Just to verify that I have installed everything I'm supposed to...
n_scott_pearson

There most certainly is (I skipped a step there)...

Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. When you start the tool, select Everything and then click on Scan. Once it completes the scan process, click on Next and then Save. Pick a name for the text file to create and click on Save to create it. You can then close the app. Finally, open a response post here and then, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog (below the edit box for the body of your response post), upload and attach this text file to the response post.

...S

cjessing
Novice

Will do that as soon as I get home from work Thanks

cjessing
Novice

Here you go. Hope it helps!

I was thinking: Is it a red flag, that Windows 10 did not recognize any network during the installation? It was not until I manually installed the LAN_I225-Win10_Win11-1.1.3.28 drivers I got it working...

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @cjessing 

Checking your SSU report, it appears to me that you have not correctly installed the network drivers. I suggest that you should reinstall it using clean installation method:

1. Download the following drivers:  Intel® Chipset Device Software

and the Intel® Ethernet (LAN) Network Connection Driver and save it on your drive.  Disconnect the Internet Connection.

2. Install the Intel Chipset Device Software and reboot your NUC.

3. Uninstall the currently installed Network Driver (follow the procedure for Clean Driver Installation). 

4. Install the previously downloaded Intel Ethernet Network Driver.

5. Reconnect the Internet and check.

Leon

Edit:

Please also download the Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver and install it right after installing the Chipset Software. Reboot your NUC.

cjessing
Novice

Hey Leon!

Happy to say it worked! I didn't see your edited comment about the ME Consumer driver before following your original steps. Just ran a speedtest and got

DOWNLOAD Mbps: 944.82
UPLOAD Mbps: 934.08

So I'm happy. Thanks a million!!!

Claus
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Claus,

I'm glad that NUC is working as expected. Any way, install the Management Driver also and then run the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, to check if all other drivers are updated. Once you have manually installed the Chipset Software, the IDSA, should update other drivers if needed.

Leon

cjessing
Novice

Will do. I actually did install it prior to all this but will reinstall it.

I have a couple of other questions but will create seperate topics for those