Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DAles
Beginner

NUC5CPYH can't power on after sitch off by Windows

After I switch off computer by operating system (Win10) by click Strat-Switch off I can't switch it on. Only if I disconnect power supply from PC and connect it again PC can start. (there is no light on the power button, no noise of fun, OS not loaded, "No signal" text on the monitor)

If I switch off PC by the power button on the board it can switch on correctly.

I have monitor connected with HDMI port (D-SUB was tried too), mouse, keyboard,camera, speakers (power connected separatly) connected with USB

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

DAles, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. We can try a BIOS update to the latest version 0075: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28173/BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A-?product=85254 What is the model of the SSD/Hard Drive? What is the model of the memory RAM? Please provide speed and voltage. Is this a brand new NUC? Was it working fine before? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Alberto_R_Intel

DAles, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
TBlue
New Contributor I

I suspect you have a bad/low CMOS battery, which causes corruption of the CMOS. Don't rely on the voltage reading of the battery, mine was bad but still read at slightly above 3V. I replace the battery with a brand new one, which only read 0.05V more on my multimeter. Then I had to turn on/off the unit *many* times until it finally POSTed, when it did I went into the bios and reset all bios settings to defaults. Ever since my NUC5i5RYH has worked flawlessly again. This happened almost exactly 3 years after I bought it.

See this thread: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004FmN0xSAF/nuc5i7ryh-may-be-dead

DAles
Beginner

AlbertoR, thank you for reply

BIOS version Intel Corp. PYBSWCEL.86A.0075.2018.0917.1423, 17.09.2018

SMBIOS Version3.0

SSD - Patriot Burst Firmware VersionSBFM61.3

Processor Intel® Celeron® CPU J3060 @ 1.60GHz

NUC is new from the box

This issue was find from the first start.

I am far from the PC now and can get information remotely

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @DAles​ 

Since your NUC powers ON correctly after shut OFF using Power Button, I assume that there is nothing wrong in your NUC and your problem comes from Windows. Please try the following procedure to perform full shutdown from Windows:

Step 1: Open Start menu, select Power button.

Step 2: Press and hold the Shift key on keyboard, while clicking on Shut down, and then release the Shift key to perform a full shutdown.

If after this shutdown, you will be able to power your NUC ON, the problem is in Windows setting.

Leon

TBlue
New Contributor I

I don't think that's the problem.

Just for reference, when I ran into this issue I wasn't even using Windows. My NUC5i5RYH would work fine, I would turn it off and then the next day it refused to turn on no matter what I did. An hour of on/off finally got it to boot once, then it would work again but some other day would run into the same problem. I noticed that if I left the unit unplugged from power for a while, it would always get into that state. Replaced the CMOS battery, then did on/off multiple times again until it finally POSTed, reset bios to defaults (it was already at defaults, just to be sure) and haven't had a single problem since...

DAles
Beginner

Leon, thank you. I'll try to do this, when will be near PC.

TBlue. My issue a little different. When I plug off the power supply, and then plug it on, the NUC switch on correctly.