Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VMona
Beginner

NUC5CPYH sometimes speed fan max until Bios restart PART 2

As in the following post : , when restarting the nuc, the fan runs at max, the model is slightly different because it is NUC5cpyh not NUC5ppyh . I proceeded to update the bios to the latest version, load the default settings. Delete the cmos memory via jumper. But with the default settings: Balanced, the problem repeats itself. I solved by setting the Quiet fan option in the bios. I ask if it could be a bug in the bios. Thanks to those who want to answer me, best regards

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello ithokor,

I understand that you were experiencing issues with the speed of the fan.

Regarding this, I would like to know what kind of tool or utility are you using to check the speed of the fan when the system is running? Are you seeing this in the BIOS? How do you know it runs at the maximum speed?

If possible, please attach a picture showing that the fan is spinning at the maximum speed, this could help us determine what could be causing the issue.

Regards,

David V
VMona
Beginner

Hello the software I used to monitor the fan on Windows 10 64, HWiNFO64 version 5.84 of which I attach a picture with the characteristics of my system. Place a first picture when the fan presents a normal behavior, a second with fan revolutions at maximum after a restart, speed that does not decrease.

A first picture when the fan presents a normal behavior, with oscillations between a minimum 3,515 RPM and a maximum 3,534 RPM.

A second with fan revolutions at maximum after a restart, speed that does not decrease to 3,500 RPM ,but it will remain constant at around 6,000 RPM, despite having the processor a low temperature. To overcome this behavior, as I mentioned above, I have set in the Quiet fan options and on reboot does not present such an uncontrolled increase of the fan. This problem occurs at random upon reboot and with the Balanced option of the fan selected in the Bios.

idata
Community Manager

Hello ithokor,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding the temperature and the RPM shown, what we can recommend is to check this information in the BIOS itself. This is because the program you are using is a third-party application that could be giving bad readings.

You can access the BIOS and then leave it idle, see if the RPM increase and decreases constantly, even when the processor is not at a high temperature to see if it is a device or fan problem.

Let me know please

Regards,

David V
VMona
Beginner

Thanks for the friendly reply, I checked the fan's behavior from the bios, as recommended. I attach three photos, the first picture taken just rebooted presents a fan speed of 6308.00 rpm motherboard temperature 42 °C, the second socket after about 12 minutes has a fan speed of 6308.00 but the temperature of the motherboard had lowered to 38 °C. After 12 minutes I restarted the NUC, the speed is back to normal and I attach photos of the bios where the fan has a speed of 3552.00 RPM

Best regards Vincenzo M.

idata
Community Manager

Hello ithokor,

Thank you for your response.

I understand that even in the BIOS you are showing weird fan speeds. Up to this point what I can recommend you to do is a BIOS recovery to check and see if there is a corruption or error in the current BIOS version you have installed.

Please refer to the link below in order to download the latest ".bio" file for your NUC:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27929/BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A-?product=85254 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27929/BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A-?product=85254

After downloading the .bio file, please refer to the link below in order to follow the steps to do a BIOS recovery with a .bio file:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

I would recommend to follow the "Power Button" method.

Once done, reboot the system and check to see if the fan still behaves oddly, let us know the outcome.

Regards,

David V
VMona
Beginner

Thanks for your answer. I did as suggested. I restored the bios via the .bio file, using the "BIOS Recovery by the Power Button Menu" procedure. Off the NUC, disconnected the power supply, reconnected the power supply, restarted and restored the default settings of the bios with F9 and saved with F10. Tested with the default settings of the "balanced" fan, the faulty has returned. I have modified the settings of the bios with "quiet" of the fan and the n.u.c. does not present the problem. A clarification I have tested the n.u.c. with different operating systems, to rule out that it was an operating system problem. The systems were: windows 10 64 , ubuntu 16.04 64 lts and xubuntu 18.04 64 lts. The problem continued to recur. A consideration of N.U.C. in my possession apart from the small problem of the fan that with the "quiet" setting I solved, it works well is not unstable and has no other problems.

Best regards

Vincenzo M