Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC5CPYH with erratic boot problems (Ubuntu / W7)

Hi,

Last week I bought a NUC5CPYH fresh of the shelf with

- 8 Gb Ram DDR3L (Kingston 8GB 1600MHz Low Vo)

- WD Green SSD 120GB 2.5 IN 7mm

- TravelStar SATA HD 1000 Gb (very reliable)

- USB 3.0 stick 32 Gb

and got myself into an unsuspected situation with erratic and continuous boot problems.

I tested the setup with the latest UBUNTU desktop.

During installation sporadic boot problems already showed - the SSD was not always recognized.(approx 4x on 10 boots)

This resulted in no destination to install UBUNTU.

Nonetheless I managed to get UBUNTU running.

I tested the same with a TravelStar HD 1000 Gb, same pattern, the disk was not always recognized.

Also during the install process with a bootable UBUNTU USB.

With this confirmed working I moved on to W7 Pro, suspecting UBUNTU might be the problem.

After the operation of inserting USB3.0 drivers in the USB boot image, I got W7 Pro running.

I know W7 is not ideal as some (non essential) drivers are not available - but confirmed stable on other platforms.

The pattern continued - W7 did not always boot properly, activating the recovery partition on the same install.

This in the SSD drive (TravelStar HD 1000 Gb not yet tested.)

The BIOS has been successfully updated to the latest version currently available prior to installations.

When booted, the HD / SSD is always available.

The NUC boot screen is always there, BIOS is always accessible.

In BIOS the HD / SSD always shows.

I did some reading here - I saw quite a bit of boot problems, some also referring to the NUC5CPYH.

One thread caught my attention - the SATA cable on some NUC units are not standard causing sporadic boot problems.

Is this a hardware problem also occurring for the NUC5CPYH?

Any ideas welcome, I am out of options where to look or what to do.

Last resort is to send the whole lot back as unstable - not preferred at all!

Thanks!

Indra.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

To be more specific:

Once the NUC + W7 or UBUNTU manages to booted it runs ok - no trace of a problem there. (24 hr+ continuous test)

This rules out RAM issues imho.

The problem seems to be in startup regardless of SSD / HD or UBUNUTU / W7.

Thx!

Indra

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

You could try replacing the SATA cable assembly or go straight to the replacement of the NUC's base unit. Either way, you need to contact Intel Customer Support directly.

Here's contact information, by geography:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html%23%4011 Intel Customer Support Contact Information for US and Canada

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Europe, Middle East and Africa

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/apac-contact.html Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Asia-Pacific

http://www.intel.la/content/www/xl/es/support/contact-support/lar-contact.html Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Latin America

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply - I made a support request for this NUC.

If replaced, Its a bit of disappointing to find a NUC straight out of box with hard to diagnose problems like this.

I rather prefer to have a NUC that doesn't do anything or crashes allover the place.

Took a lot of time than expected to come to this point.

If replaced I hope the next NUC does 100% reliable boots.

Fingers crossed!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

It happens - perhaps too often. Whether it is damage in transit or they never tested it at all during manufacturing is to be determined...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Let's see - the NUC left today with DHL under the Intel warranty replacement program.

Hopefully +10 working days later there's a new NUC without boot problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Faulty NUC has processed by DHL, Intel, new one on the way within warranty.

Looks like the new NUC is replaced within 5 days - ETA in a few days,

Shipment is completely free.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The replacement NUC5CPYH has arrived in 6 days through DHL.

It functions properly so far - a significant different with the first one.

No erratic boot failures in the past 12 hours - so far so good.

Detail:

The production date of the replacement NUC5CPYH is April 2016

The production date of the original NUC5CPYH is July 2017

The BIOS of the replacement NUC5CPYH was already updated.

The original purchased NUC had an older BIOS, although with a much newer production date.

It might well be possible there are other faulty NUC's on stock.

Without detailed knowledge, its hard to diagnose erratic boot failures to a Hardware cause.

if you see a similar pattern like this with your NUC, consider contacting INTEL.

A side note:

I received the replacement NUC - without - the 19 Volt DC adapter, bracket and screws.

Beware to those sending in other faulty NUC's - Read the warranty replacement email carefully.

The information to send only the NUC was stated at the END of the Warranty replacement email from Intel.

This AFTER a mention that only COMPLETE return shipments are accepted and eligible for a replacement.

This may set you on the wrong foot and endup with a replacement NUC without the adapter.

The 19 Volt Adpater is just 15 US$ at Intel, but shipment costs are almost double.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

After 5 days of use I can confirm the replacement works properly,

My intent was to buy a 2nd NUC5CPYH for backup / redundancy purposes.

Knowing the effort it took to get the first one working im not sure.....

Mainly because there's no info in the root cause.

Anyone who has a clue what could have been the problem?

Thx!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

See here for a case that seems to be similar

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Nothing complicated; you had a bad unit. It happens.

In future, I suggest that you NOT use the Fast Boot feature. With other improvements in BIOS operation, this feature really doesn't deliver the benefits that it used to and the negatives of its use are significant.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

A 2nd NUC5CPYH has been ordered yesterday - hopeful that the first NUC was indeed a single bad unit.

More later!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The 2nd NUC was a straight and flawless install with windows 7.

Not a single problem, everything works with a USB stick with Win 7+ USB3.0 drivers.

Its been running 24 hrs a day since delivery.

UBUNTU has been installed as 2nd boot parition with GRUB as boot manager.

Compliments to Intel for the very fast warranty replacement of the 1-st NUC unit.

Cheers!

0 Kudos