cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC5i3RYH and M2 ssd.

Hi there,

I recently bought a NUC5i3RYH along with a 4GB DIMM and a Kingston SA400M8/240G M2 ssd.

I cannot get the NUC to recognize the ssd either in the SATA or PCI sections of the bios. I have updated to the latest BIOS release.

I have also checked the SSD in another machine (Dell Optiplex 7050) where it is recognized. The m2 from the Dell however *IS* recognized in the NUC so I think that confirms both the drive and the NUC are working.

According to Kingston's website, this drive should work with the NUC.

Does anyone have any idea how to make these work together?

Cheers.

Phill.

9 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Send the kingston back and get another, or get another brand.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
Highlighted
Employee

Hello PHarv3, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I was looking into the technical specifications of the Intel ® NUC you have specified and I have found that the M.2 SATA drive is not supported, only NVMe M.2 drive is supported, please refer to the link below, you can find the technical product specification: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC5i5RYB_NUC5i3RYB_Tech... NOTE: The attachment was taken from page 13. This reason could be why the drive is not being recognized. To confirm, please provide me with an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Make sure to attach the created report to this thread. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

In the TPS (page 13), it states "... key type M (PCI Express x1/x2/x4 and SATA)", which means it should support M.2 NVMe SSDs and M.2 SATA SSDs. Also in the TPS (page 19), is shows both PCI Express x4 and SATA lanes being routed to the M.2 connector.

I find it disturbing, however, that term NVMe is not mentioned in the TPS anywhere.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello everyone,

I was checking my previous post and I see that I did not attach the screenshot showing information about the storage in the TPS.

Please refer to the attachment and check Note 2 which states that only NVMe is supported and SATA is not in the board with processor i3-5005U. For that reason, PHarv3, I want to confirm the processor of the specific Intel ® NUC unit you have, as mentioned before, please provide me with an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

This is what I get for downloading the documents; they sneak in updates when you're not looking (sigh!)...

Ok, this makes perfect sense if the Core i3-5005U package supported only a single SATA Lane, but the Processor I/O datasheet indicates that there are a minimum of two SATA Lanes available external to the SoC package.

I am not arguing with the limitation being identified, but sure would like to understand why this limitation exists.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

My NUC5i3RYK (with Core i3-5010U processor) has no trouble running Win10 from either SATA or NVMe M.2 SSD installed into the M.2 2280 slot.

Does the Core i3-5005U processor differ from i3-5010U processor in SATA support? If so I find that hard to believe.

Highlighted

This was done intentionally and it was a marketing related decision. Regards, Ronny G
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello PHarv3, I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you. If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello PHarv3, Please contact us if you have any additional questions. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos