Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AScha2
Beginner

NUC5i3RYH no longer boots - only a single short blink of the power button

I use a NUC5i3RYH with 8 GB RAM and SSD. The device is very rarely in operation (holiday residence). At the last visit the device could not be started anymore. If the power cable is connected, a green LED lights up on the board. When the power button is pressed, the blue lamp in the power button lights up briefly once and goes out again. If you repeat it immediately, it will only light up again briefly after 3-5 seconds and then go out again. I have tested this with an HD instead of the SSD. This starts audibly and then stops immediately. The attempt of a BIOS reset (yellow jumper on position 2-3) has also brought no result.

I measured the voltage of the power supply. It is constant and correct. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I suggest that you do a hardware reset of the CMOS. To do so, disconnect the NUC from its power source and unplug its CR2032 battery for 15 minutes. Accessing the battery usually requires that you at least partially remove the board from the chassis. To do so, remove the two small screws holding the board in place and then, using a small slot screwdriver, carefully (and gently!) pry up the board along the front panel edge of the board (you are prying the chassis away from the board to release the protuberances that interlock the board with the chassis' front panel openings).

Once you've gone through the reset, hopefully the board will power on. Use this process to then reset everything else:

1. Use the F2 key to enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS).
  2. Set the Date and Time.
  3. Reset the BIOS configuration (press F9 then Y to accomplish this).
  4. Exit from BIOS Setup saving the current (reset) BIOS Configuration (press F10 then Y to accomplish this).
  5. After the system POSTs, again use F2 to reenter BIOS Setup.
  6. Make any changes in the BIOS Configuration (Boor Order, UEFI Enable, etc.) that your hardware configuration absolutely requires (or you otherwise desire).
  7. Exit from BIOS Setup saving your modified BIOS Configuration.
  8. Test that the system will boot cleanly.

Hope this helps,

...S

AScha2
Beginner

Hi Scott

thx for your proposal - I've done the following

- SSD connected

- RAM connected

- Security Jumper on 1-2

- Display connected, keyboard connected

- unplug power supply

- unplug CMOS Battery

- wait 15 minutes

- plug in CMOS Battery

- plug in power supply

- switch on the Nuc by the main switch on the chassis

green LED on the back of the board lights up (when I connect the power supply), blue LED close to main switch flashes shortly (after switching on the nuc by the main switch), fan of processor moves minimal and very short, no further reaction. If the main switch is pressed again, the blue LED flashes with some delay.

any idea?

Cherrio sfx

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Placing the security Jumper between pins 2-3 doesn't reset bios. It is Lockdown position: all POST hotkeys are not visible and not accepted. Power Menu button is not accessible.

2. Try to power ON your NUC without SSD and without HDD (only with RAM). Remove the Security Jumper too. Your NUC should boot after about 30 seconds into Configuration Menu. From this menu by pressing on F2 you will be able to enter bios and reset bios to default settings (press F9 and then F10).

Leon

AScha2
Beginner

Hi LW 1948

thx for your proposal - I have done the following steps:

- SSD/HD separated from the board

- RAM still conected

- Secutity jumper removed (was on 1-2)

- Display connected, keyboard and mouse connected

- Connecting the power supply

- Switch on Nuc

no success - green LED on board lights up (when I connect the power supply), blue LED close to main switch flashes shortly afer pushing the main switch on the top of the nuc, fan of processor moves minimal and very short, no further reaction. If the main switch is pressed again, the blue LED flashes with some delay.

any idea? Cheerio sfx

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi sfx,

The one thing that I suggest now to test is your SODIMM. With failed SODIMM your NUC can't start and can't give any video output.

1. In first test, remove your SODIMM (I understand that you have one 8GB module) and power ON your NUC. The blue Power LED should blink three times and then pause for few seconds and blink again... This test shows that NUC POST works and memory failure was detected (since there is no memory installed).

2. Next, if you have only one SODIMM, borrow another one (may be from laptop), install in your NUC and try how it is working. If you have two SODIMMs (4GB each), leave only one installed at time. Test each SODIMM first in lower then in the upper slot.

3. If you have only one SODIMM you may try to install it in the other unused slot. If the problem is in the board rather than in SODIMM it may work.

Leon

n_scott_pearson

I agree with Leon. If the (blue) power LED is blinking, it is typically an indicator that the system cannot operate with the included SODIMM(s).

...S

AScha2
Beginner

Hi Leon and Scoot

Thanks for your recommendation. I removed the SODIMM module (8 GB) and tried to start the NUC again.

All remaining ports were connected as described before - SDD connected, security jumper on 1-2, HDMI connected, keyboard connected, mouse connected, CMOS battery connected.

Unfortunately it gives the same result. When pressing the power button, the blue LED flashes 1x briefly. If I immediately press the button a second time, the LED will blink again after 5 seconds. The fan moves short and a really little bit.

Thanks for ideas - I can't imagine what the solution might be.

Cheerio Andreas

n_scott_pearson

One time? Ok, that means it isn't the SODIMM. Hhmmm... I can think of two possibilities, (1) the power supply is failing (not making the transition from Standby power to full power) or (2) something else has failed on the NUC board.

For (1), do you have access to another power supply to try with this NUC?

For (2), unplug everything from the NUC, connect only power supply and try powering on. If it seems to then power up (should see three flashes on blue LED because no memory plugged in), power down, connect only monitor and try powering up again. If is again seems to work, add SODIMM back in and power on again. If it displays BIOS splash screen, try again with Keyboard connected and see if you can get into BIOS Setup. If it works, add mouse and see if can get into BIOS Setup, set date and time and then use F9 key to reset BIOS configuration and then F10 key to exit with save. If this work, add boot drive.

Let us know what happens...

Ultimately, it sounds like you are going to have to RMA the unit...

First, verify your warranty. Go here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/services/000006303.html?wapkw=warranty+check Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty.

Next, use the appropriate link below to lookup contact information for Intel Customer Support (ICS):

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @11 Intel Customer Support Contact Information for US and Canada

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Europe, Middle East and Africa

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/apac-contact.html Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Asia-Pacific

http://www.intel.la/content/www/xl/es/support/contact-support/lar-contact.html Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Latin America

I suggest that you actually call ICS. Alternatively, you can try using forms service or you can try using the http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_desktop_ww_english_Chat Intel Customer Support Chat Service - but note it is only offered in English and is subject to office hours (9-5 M-F) in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Andreas,

I agree with Scott and to my regret have no other ideas neither.

Leon