cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC5i5MYHE does not recognize PCIe SSD

Hi,

I'm trying to use a PX-G256 M6e PCIe SSD in the M.2 2280 slot of a NUC5i5MYHE, but the BIOS does not recognize the SSD:

In another thread a user stated to successfully run a PX-G256 M6e in a NUC5i3MYHE with BIOS version 0028.

The latest BIOS version offered on Intels support page for the NUC5i5MYHE is 0022.

Does anyone successfully run a PCIe SSD in the NUC5i5MYHE?

If so, which model and with which version of the BIOS?

Thanks for any hints,

Michael

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Would you take a picture showing SATA configuration?

Allan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Allan,

here's a screen shot of the SATA tab:

It looks slightly different from the one posted in another thread showing the NUC5i3MYHE BIOS version 0028.

Michael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Have you checked the list of compatible devices for your NUC model?

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034985.htm Intel® NUC Boards and Kits — Tested Peripherals

I recommend waiting for another community member that may have experienced same issue to post any information about this matter.

Allan.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Michael, this may well be a dummy question but your drive is not SATA but PCI based thus you may have to configure something else in your BIOS. Have you reset your BIOS and tried to do from scratch?

Although this is not an intel Bios but to make the SSD work the bios had to be set in advanced mode. See below:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Allan, as already discussed in another thread, the compatibility list does not include any PCIe SSD. But the product description clearly states that the NUC5i5MYHE supports a M.2 PCIe SSD. So, did Intel test the NUC with such a drive? If so, with which models? If not, what does Intel plan to do in order to support such drives? Regards, Michael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

zzddrr, yes, I already reset the BIOS to its default values several times, with no different results. In the Intel BIOS there is no option comparable to the one you showed from the ASUS BIOS. Thanks nonetheless, Michael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Michael, I have a feeling that you only need the correct settings in the BIOS. See my post above. You're right! There people who use this NUC with PCIe based SSDs but they all had to change the Bios to make it work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Have you looked at under the PCI tab? Or somewhere under an "advanced" tab. There is another option for you. At Legitreviews they reviewed your SSD (that is where I got the image) and they also fiddled around with various NUCs. Send an email to the writer of the article as I think he will be faster than Intel on its own forum....

On a separate note, I can see how incompetent these intel responses are. If these are genuine intel representatives then I must tell you that we waste our time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Alan, do you have any answers to my questions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

I am testing my demo NUC model NUC5i5RYH with an Intel M.2 SSD. See picture below:

Allan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Alan,

thanks for your ongoing support.

The SSD you are testing is a SATA SSD, not a PCIe SSD, isn't it?

Although that's not the config I try to use, the result would be interessing nonetheless.

The NUC5i5RYH was reported in a test to support a PCIe SSD (a Samsing XP941, if I remember that correctly), but it has a M.2 socket type B&M and therefor has 4 PCIe lanes connected to the SSD, while the NUC5i5MYHE has only a M.2 socket type B with 2 PCIe lanes. So, the two models are not comparable regarding the M.2 / PCIe connection.

As mentioned before, a user stated to successfully run a PX-G256 M6e in a NUC5i3MYHE with BIOS version 0028.

Do you know of any differences between that BIOS version for the NUC5i3MYHE and BIOS version 0022 for the NUC5i5MYHE?

Regards, Michael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Alan,

the problems I had with the NUC5i5MYHE and the Plextor PX-G256 M6e were obviously caused by a hardware defect in the NUC.

My dealer exchanged the unit and the new did recognize the M.2 PCI SSD:

/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-317675-245791/MYi50022.SATA.M2.BMP

I'm running it for about 2 weeks now without any problems :-)

So, thanks again for your support and best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Great to hear the replacement NUC is working properly.

Allan.

0 Kudos