cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RSara4
Beginner

NUC5i5RYB thermal pad

Hello,

I want to replace the thermal pad on my NUC.

• Can I get a recommendation of what type of thermal pad is required, any links on Amazon, Ebay or Aliexpress would be very much appreciated.
  • What are the dimensions of the thermal pad?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello rajil,

Thank you for posting your inquiry; it will be more than a pleasure to assist you.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

As well can you please tell us:

-Which of the thermal pads are you looking to replace.

-Reason why it needs to be replaced.

In the meantime, please take a look at the Technical Specification Sheet of the product, pages 55 and 56, and let us know if it is helpful.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.

RSara4
Beginner

My Intel NUC is past its warranty. I wanted to replace the thermal pad for the CPU as my NUC becomes very hot. Please can you confirm whether the CPU has a thermal pad or just a paste?

idata
Community Manager

Hello rajil,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, the actual CPU does not have any thermal pad as specified on the technical Specification Sheet of the product, pages 55 and 56, only Thermal Interface Material (TIM) which in this case we do not recommend to replace as the heatsink on the unit is no intended to be removed.

I would like to share some steps to try to fix overheating issues with your unit:

Isolate the components inside the NUC to check if they are the cause of the issue

No obstruction on the air vent

Set BIOS settings to default

Update the BIOS to the latest version

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Actually, there is both TIM for the processor and a thermal pad for the chipset (PCH) component. The pad is required because the PCH component does not stand as high as the processor.

Just saying,

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello rajil,

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please don't hesitate on contacting us back.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

GKell
Beginner

Just to answer your question:

https://www.amazon.com/Phobya-Thermal-120mm-20mm-0-5mm/dp/B0051C2L1S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=15360816... Amazon.com: Phobya Thermal Pad XT 7W/mk, 120mm x 20mm, 0.5mm: Computers & Accessories

Cut a 5mmx5mm square of the thermal pad - fits perfect.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Again, let's be clear: the thermal pad is for the PCH component, NOT the processor. Do not attempt to use a thermal pad for the processor. Also, the required thickness for the pad varies from one NUC model to another. The design engineers tell me that this particular pad should be fine - but they are answering ONLY for the RY NUC.

...S

RSara4
Beginner

My main concern is with the high CPU temperature where i plan to use the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011F7W3LU thermal grizzly paste. Is it worth replacing the PCH thermal pad as well?

The PCH temperature was also high when i took a reading last time,

nct6776-isa-0a00

Adapter: ISA adapter

Vcore: +1.81 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +1.74 V) ALARM

in1: +1.35 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM

AVCC: +3.31 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)

+3.3V: +3.31 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)

in4: +1.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM

in5: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V)

in6: +0.12 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM

3VSB: +3.30 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)

Vbat: +3.23 V (min = +2.70 V, max = +3.63 V)

fan1: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)

fan2: 8333 RPM (min = 0 RPM)

SYSTIN: +26.0°C (high = +0.0°C, hyst = +0.0°C) ALARM sensor = thermistor

CPUTIN: +85.0°C (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C) ALARM sensor = CPU diode

AUXTIN: +86.0°C (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C) ALARM sensor = CPU diode

PCH_CHIP_CPU_MAX_TEMP: +99.0°C (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)

PECI Agent 0: +100.0°C (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)

(crit = +105.0°C)

PCH_CHIP_TEMP: +0.0°C

PCH_CPU_TEMP: +0.0°C

intrusion0: OK

intrusion1: OK

beep_enable: disabled

RSara4
Beginner

I finally got around to opening up the NUC and cleaning the fan. This brought the temperature down to 64C under moderate loads and 72C under full load.