Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11457 Discussions

NUC5i5RYH Windows 10 wrong drive letters

psmart55
Beginner

I have THREE 5i5RYH's which have begun to experience intermittent problems with drive letters  spontaneously changing.  This can occur while Windows-10 is running, causing the C drive to disappear.  A similar failure can occur at boot up, with C being incorrectly assigned to the system reserved partition, and the former C drive becoming D.  After a couple of attempts the system will reboot and runs fine for days. 

The only common element I can Identify is that the three systems all are 5i5RYH running Windows 10.  The same problem occurs with the latest 385 BIOS and an older 371.  I've used several different SSD drives (M.2 and SATA), plus an older mechanical drive.  Two systems have been running for years, and the third was just setup last month specifically for the purpose of troubleshooting this problem.   All three NUC's display the same behavior.  Our other PC's are fine.  It's just the 5i5RYH's that are afflicted.

Anyone else seeing this problem?  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You are saying this happens only with Core i5 version? It doesn't happen with Core i3 or Core i7? I have both Core i5 with Windows 10 Pro and Core i7 with Windows 10 Home and they run just fine; I have certainly never seen any glitches like this.

...S

psmart55
Beginner

I don't know about other NUC's since I'm only using the5i5RYH, but I have a dozen other assorted Windows-10 PC's that are fine.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
That observation really means nothing. If no one else is seeing this, it is difficult to diagnose. Since this is a model that has been discontinued, Intel isn't going to involve themselves in this process.
...S
McKinney124
Beginner

@myccpay wrote:

I have THREE 5i5RYH's which have begun to experience intermittent problems with drive letters  spontaneously changing.  This can occur while Windows-10 is running, causing the C drive to disappear.  A similar failure can occur at boot up, with C being incorrectly assigned to the system reserved partition, and the former C drive becoming D.  After a couple of attempts the system will reboot and runs fine for days. 

The only common element I can Identify is that the three systems all are 5i5RYH running Windows 10.  The same problem occurs with the latest 385 BIOS and an older 371.  I've used several different SSD drives (M.2 and SATA), plus an older mechanical drive.  Two systems have been running for years, and the third was just setup last month specifically for the purpose of troubleshooting this problem.   All three NUC's display the same behavior.  Our other PC's are fine.  It's just the 5i5RYH's that are afflicted.

Anyone else seeing this problem?  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

I would like to inform that there can be many events which might have resulted in the system files errors. An incomplete installation, an incomplete uninstall, improper deletion of applications or hardware. It can also be caused if your computer is recovered from a virus or adware/spyware attack or by an improper shutdown of the computer. All the above actives may result in the deletion or corruption of the entries in the windows system files. This corrupted system file will lead to the missing and wrongly linked information and files needed for the proper working of the application.

psmart55
Beginner

Since the problem afflicts three separate computers in the exact same manner, it's very unlikely to be any of the causes you suggest.  The problem even occurs with a clean Windows installation.