Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12513 Discussions

NUC5i5RYH does not detect Crucial P5 plus NVME SSD

gunbird
Novice

Hi,

I just bought a new nvme SSd to extend the life of my NUC5i5RYH but it is not event detected by the BIOS.

On Crucial website, the disk is marked compatibled with NUC5I5RYH.

I sent back the first disj thinking maybe it was a faulty unit, but the second wasn't dteceted either.

I tried to put another NVME SSD from another machine I had (a kingston A2000) and I was detected without issue.

The only difference between the two is that the kingston is PCIe 3.O wheras the crucail is PCIe 4.0.

But it seemed to me that PCIe was backward compatible.

Any thought, help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

This is not the first time that someone has complained about a Crucial SSD not working with the 5th gen NUCs - though it has been a long time and it wasn't done with a PCIe 4.0-compliant version. Regardless, this is a NUC that only has support for PCIe 3.0, so you are only going to get PCIe 3.0 performance out of any drive. Further, since they didn't exist back when this NUC was last validated, there is no guarantee that it will support any PCIe 4.0 drives that won't work in PCIe 3.0 mode.

My personal opinion: don't waste the extra money they cost or time trying to get a PCIe 4.0 drive to work.

Sorry,

...S

gunbird
Novice
Do you think I should have more luck with a PCIe 3.0 crucial P3
Is there any report with this model ?

Regards
LeonWaksman
Super User

To be on the safe side and avoid compatibility problems, my suggestion is to follow the list of validated by Intel M.2 PCIe SSD for your NUC.

Leon

gunbird
Novice

In the best world I wld have done that but unfortunately most of those drives are very old and impossible ot find in new conditions.

I went with another PCIe 3.0 model from western digital.

I will report how it works here for anyone use.

Regards

gunbird
Novice

Ok, after several testings, here's what I can share to the community :

• Crucial NVME P5 plus : not detected
  • Western Digital NVME SN570 : Not detected
  • Kingston NVME A2000 : Detected, works perfectly
  • Crucial NVME P2 : Detected, works perfectly

I ended up, using the Crucial P2. It's the most recent drives I found that works ont the NUC 5th generation (NUC5i5RYH).

Kingston A2000 was released in august 2019 whereas Crucial P2 dates from april 2020 and can still be found new online.

Hope this helps.