cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoePS
Beginner

NUC5i5RYH 'hangs' at the first boot phase

Dear all,

The NUC5i5RYH 'hangs' at the first boot phase, gets stuck and tries to boot again and again. Only the logo 'Intel® NUC' is being displayed, but without boot commands along the bottom of the initial start (boot) screen. This issue has occurred after an unexpected power outage (blackout for 15 minutes), when the NUC was in sleep mode.

Thus, it doesn't have any impact, when I press the keys DEL, F2, F5, F8 or any other key at the beginning or during the initial boot phase. The blue LED light on the top side shines regularly, it is not blinking. And I can press the power on/off button to do a hard shutdown or to turn it on, but nothing else.

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips to analyze and solve this fundamental issue.

Regards, JoPeters

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

JoePS
Beginner

Many thanks Alberto,

The BIOS Recovery helped, but hasn't solved the basic issue. I downloaded the .bio file to an USB stick and removed the BIOS security jumper (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC5i5RYB_NUC5i3RYB_TechProd... https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC5i5RYB_NUC5i3RYB_TechProd..., chapter 2.3, page 49). Using a USB keyboard I performed the recovery, which has updated the BIOS to the most current version.

Subsequent to all recovery steps, I was able to get into the BIOS settings with the F2 key at the beginning of the boot phase. I checked all settings, which seemed to be correct. Thereafter, Windows 10 started correctly. I checked the device manager and carried out 'sfc /scannow', but no errors where found. I did a restart, which went fine. Windows 10 worked well, as if nothing has happened.

Then, I did a regular shut down and unplugged the power cord. After several minutes absence of current, I plugged the power cord and started the NUC. The same issue occurred as before. Thus, I had to repeat the BIOS recovery.

As of now, I can turn the NUC only to sleep mode, otherwise it wouldn't start properly.

From my perspective it seems to be a hardware failure, which had been caused by the power outage.

How can I find out the root cause, please?

Regards,

JoPeters

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello JoPeters,

The failure happens if you disconnect the power cable in both states: Windows is in Sleep state or Windows was Shut down.

Question:

1. If the Windows is shut down and you don't disconnect the power cable, Windows reboots?

2. Did you see any warning concerning CMOS battery? Failed CMOS battery may cause to boot failure.

Leon

JoePS
Beginner

Hi Leon [lw1948],

Thanks for your reply.

1. Yes, if I don't disconnect the power cable (but did a regular shut down), the NUC boots properly.

2. No, there was no warning or error message after the 'new' boot, subsequent to the BIOS recovery.

Regards, Jo

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Jo,

Although you don't see battery failure indication, such failure may cause to boot failure. It suppose not happen, since only RTC should be affected, but we saw in this forum, that the battery affect boot also. Since all the time that you have stand by power on the board, failure is not returning, I suspect that the battery is to weak. Please try the following:

1. While your NUC is shut down, disconnect the power cable in order to cause failure situation.

2. Reconnect the power cable and press the power button to verify that the failure is back.

3. Press the power button to switch NUC OFF again.

4. Enter the Power Button Menu: Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. You should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. Alternately, the system will emit three short beeps from the PC speaker or headphones, if connected, then stop. If you see the LED color change or you hear the beeps, release the Power Button - NUC shall reboot into Power Button Menu.

5. When you see the Power Button Menu, press F2 to enter bios settings. Here you may see if the date and time are correct.

In any case I it is worthy to replace the CMOS battery: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006787/mini-pcs.html CMOS Battery on the Intel® NUC . You need battery like this one for example: https://www.amazon.com/CR2032-Battery-Wire-Leads-CMOS/dp/B074PB82DT/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qi... Amazon.com: CR2032 Battery with Wire Leads (CMOS): Home Audio & Theater

And finally, if you have this NUC lass than 3 years, it is covered by international warranty and you may ask to replace it.

Leon

idata
Community Manager

JoPeters: I just wanted to check if the information provided previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R