Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12546 Discussions

NUC5i5RYK powers on but not all the way

octalsandroses

I just purchased a UPS to be able to gracefully shut down my Intel NUC5i5RYK. I shut everything down, and when I plugged it into the new UPS, it started up with the fan on full blast. 

I'm running Ubuntu 21.04.

The BIOS screen doesn't come up. The power button only works to power the device on, but not off. It sounds like the fan is working at max capacity.

Did I fry something? I'm really hoping everything is okay. So far I have tried to plug the NUC directly into the wall (and not the UPS), but during testing, since I cannot power it down with the power button, I find myself just unplugging it while it's trying to start up. I feel like this might be counterproductive and making things worse.

I tried to download the latest BIOS to a USB drive and plugged it into multiple ports, and still no avail. I have tried using HDMI and Mini DisplayPort, and same thing happens.

Is there anything else I can "reset"? Is there a way to confirm if something is actually broken here? Am I missing something obvious?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @octalsandroses 

1. You may reset BIOS by disconnecting the power adapter and the CMOS battery for about 15 minutes. The CMOS battery connector is located on board upper (the invisible) side. In order to reach the connector you need to remove the board from the NUC case. This guide will show you how to do this. 

2. I would suggest to update BIOS using BIOS Recovery with the Yellow Security Jumper Removed:

2.1Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios  File RY0385.bio . Format your USB with Quick Format option           unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows.
          2.2 Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
          2.3 Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 52 in Technical Product Specification
          2.4 Insert the USB with the RY0385.bio file into rear USB slot. 
          2.5 Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and                  will end after 2 -5 minutes.
          2.6 When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power, adapter, the                  USB and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
          2.7 Power your NUC ON.
         2.8 Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
         2.9 Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let                   the NUC fully reboot.

Leon

View solution in original post

32 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @octalsandroses

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to inform you that due to the Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK has been discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.

Note: You might need to search for the proper Product Category and click on its "Show more" link if the product is not visible in the top rows.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @octalsandroses 

1. You may reset BIOS by disconnecting the power adapter and the CMOS battery for about 15 minutes. The CMOS battery connector is located on board upper (the invisible) side. In order to reach the connector you need to remove the board from the NUC case. This guide will show you how to do this. 

2. I would suggest to update BIOS using BIOS Recovery with the Yellow Security Jumper Removed:

2.1Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios  File RY0385.bio . Format your USB with Quick Format option           unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows.
          2.2 Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
          2.3 Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 52 in Technical Product Specification
          2.4 Insert the USB with the RY0385.bio file into rear USB slot. 
          2.5 Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and                  will end after 2 -5 minutes.
          2.6 When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power, adapter, the                  USB and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
          2.7 Power your NUC ON.
         2.8 Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
         2.9 Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let                   the NUC fully reboot.

Leon

octalsandroses

@LeonWaksman - thank you very much for your in-depth solution!

I tried the following:

1. I attempted to remove the motherboard but unfortunately one of the screws seems like it is stripped. I don't have a precision screwdriver on me, but I can pick it up this weekend. Do you think the CMOS battery is the key to all of this? Is there any way to reset it other than pulling the motherboard out of the case? If I can't get out the screw safely, I'm worried I might mess something up even worse.

2. I tried doing all of that, but alas, the same results. I formatted a USB thumb drive to FAT32, put only that .bio file on the drive, plugged it into the back of the NUC, powered on the NUC, and the same sound was happening with nothing appearing on the monitor.

3. I tried a new power adapter, same issues.

My next troubleshooting steps are going to be:

1. Trying a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable instead of DisplayPort.

2. Trying to get a set of precision screws to attempt to get that screw out.

I'm attaching a video of what is currently happening in the hopes it will shed more light on the issue.

Anything else I should try (or not try)?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Do I think the CMOS battery is the key to all of this? I really don't know. You asked the way to reset, so this is the way - disconnecting the Power Cord and the CMOS battery.  

I don't know what happened to the power supply circuit in your NUC and if it was damaged by the UPS and you need buy a new NUC.

On the attached video I can see that the HDD LED is not blinking. Looks that the POST is not started/finished.

Regards

Leon

LeonWaksman
Super User

Could be that since you never replaced ( more that 7 years) the CMOS battery (CMOS Battery on the Intel® NUC), the battery is discharged and you need replace it. You need to buy battery like this one for an example.   If you can measure the voltage of the battery installed, it should be above 2.8 VDC (open circuit measurement).

When you remove the board and disconnect the battery, after waiting 15 minutes, you may try to power ON the board with the disconnected battery.

Leon

octalsandroses

@LeonWaksman  Thank you so much for your response! I was able to get past the stripped screw, and disconnected the CMOS battery, but that did not improve things. I ordered a replacement CMOS battery, as well as an SSD enclosure to see if that could be causing any issues.

Separately, so far I've tried:

1. Different video outputs (HDMI / DisplayPort)

2. Different power adapters

3. Unplugging CMOS for 15 minutes, plugging it back in, and booting up again.

4. Booting up with CMOS unplugged completely after waiting 15 minutes, and trying to boot up.

5. Removing the SSD and booting up

6. Removing 1 stick of RAM and booting up.

7. Removing the BIOS jumper and booting up.

All of them have gotten me the exact same results. I am hoping that the CMOS battery replacement provides some insight.

That being said, when I went to unplug the CMOS battery, I did notice some black "char" looking stuff adjacent to the fan. When I went to sweep it out of the way with a brush, it smelled lightly of smoke. I'm hoping it's just dust accumulation from the last ~6 years and overheated. Is it possible something caught on fire and put itself out? Would I be able to pinpoint what did cause an issue if so? Starting to lose hope, but enjoying the troubleshooting process! If it's dead, at least I'll have tried everything!

motherboard.jpg

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @octalsandroses 

Clean the Thermal Solution and replace the battery. I would try this.

Leon

octalsandroses

@LeonWaksman Okay, I replaced the battery with this one and it is behaving the same way.

When you said "The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes." should something on my monitor? Or am I supposed to just wait 5 minutes and assume something might have happened?

Also when you say "Thermal Solution", do you mean whatever that dust-looking stuff near the fan is? Or is there something separate I should try cleaning?

Thanks again for all of your help!

EDIT: I put the BIOS jumper back, powered up, and saw the menu pop up for the Intel NUC for a second on my monitor! The hard drive was not plugged in so it wanted me to press any key to continue. I tried to get into the BIOS menu, and saw something flash really quickly about the CMOS battery. I tried the same thing again and I can’t get it to do that again. Do I need to give the CMOS battery time or do something in particular?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Something sure cooked. Time to pack it in and get a replacement.

It looks like you had zero airflow for quite some time. You do know that you need to clear the blower every 3 months or so, right?

...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @octalsandroses 

1. When the Recovery process start, you should see video output on the monitor, telling you that the process starts and then the details of all steps in this process. 

2. You don't need to remove the copper pipes and/or the radiator from the  bord, only to clean the dust accumulated on it.

3. When you disconnect the battery you may see a warning about this during first boot and you need to click on enter to continue this first boot.  Once you will boot into Windows, the day time in BIOS will be set. You can set it also manually if you can boot into BIOS. 

4. Some time, the polarity of the wires on the CMOS battery connector is inverted. If you can, please compare with the polarity on the old battery. 

Leon

octalsandroses

@LeonWaksman - Thank you for the information.

The major difference I noticed was when I plugged in the NUC right after putting the jumper back in its place. The device powered on with the fan on much lower speed and quieter. That was the first time I got to that point. Do I need to follow the exact instructions above each time I want to try something new?

I checked, and from what I can tell, it appears like the polarity is the same? If the polarity was flipped, would it have powered on to the point that it did the other day? In the photo below, the new battery is the yellow one, and the original one is in black wrapping under the NUC. According to this review, it seems like it might be possible?

Also, would it be helpful to leave the NUC plugged in to the power adapter for awhile? I assume the CMOS battery is independent of the power adapter, but if there's something that I should do when installing a new battery, I'll try it out!

batteries.jpg

LeonWaksman
Super User

The polarity (looking on the colors) looks OK. But you are right, according to the review in Amazon it would be safer to check the polarity with DVM (if you have one). Except for checking the new battery voltage, I don't have other idea that may help you. 

The fact that the blower run on lower RPM may indicate that after un dusting, the CPU temperature is lower. So, this may be a good sign.

Leon

n_scott_pearson

Leon's instruction #3 is exclusively for, and unique to, the battery replacement case. In this case, you will need to go into BIOS Setup and set the current date and time.

Dell uses batteries with the opposite polarity, so there are definitely batteries out there that are wired, um, incorrectly (for us). That said, it looks like the battery you purchased is correct.

The battery is used to maintain the date and time and the contents of the CMOS memory while the system is unplugged. Modern BIOS implementations do not store any information in the CMOS (they use flash memory instead) - but they do use the reset of this memory to indicate that the BIOS should boot (once) with a basic configuration and not with what is stored in the BIOS flash.

Hope this helps,

...S

octalsandroses
After a lot of finagling, I finally got it working again! I backed everything up just in case. I was using my original power adapter plugged into a surge protector. I wanted to test out if plugging into the UPS originally was the issue, so I carefully plugged it back into the UPS, and lo and behold, I’m back to square 1. I will try to follow the steps again to see if I can fix things again and maybe avoid a UPS in the future. Is it possible the voltage output is different and causes the computer to put itself in a state of not being able to post?
One thing I think that helped was plugging it in and letting it sit for awhile before powering it on again. Is that a common fix too?
n_scott_pearson

You are using a quality UPS that generates a pure sine wave output, right?   ;^)

Current UL (etc.) specs require capabilities in power bricks that are over 90W that create a requirement for pure sine wave power input. I realize that your NUC's power brick is only 65W, and thus doesn't necessarily have this requirement, but...

What UPS are you actually trying to use? 

...S

octalsandroses

@n_scott_pearson  Unfortunately, no. I’m trying to use APC BE600M1 600VA (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FWAZEIU/)

I did some research before deciding to not spring for pure sine wave and I’m starting to think that was a mistake.

Do you have any idea how I managed to revive it in the first place or have any tips for what to do to get it working again? I tried multiple power adapters from a surge protector that ended up in the same result. I tried unplugging the CMOS battery for 15 minutes and resetting via USB flash drive but I’m kind of stuck on what to try next. Clearly something did the trick last time but I’m not sure what specific combination ended up being the solution!

I reset the BIOS not two days ago. I will be returning that UPS and either going with a powerful surge protector or pure sine wave UPS from here on out.

n_scott_pearson

I am not sure what's going on or what step(s) actually fixed it. It originally sounded like a ground loop or something like that, but that's definitely too simple in this case. Remote debug is difficult; often a guessing game; if only I had it in my hands...

...S

octalsandroses

@n_scott_pearson @LeonWaksman - thank you both very much for your help with this.

It really does feel like I'm just trying everything possible at this point.

The SSD and RAM and the BIOS jumper have been removed. I'm using a new AC adapter and have just reset my CMOS battery. I have a Flash Drive with the RY0385.bio file on it, plugged into the back of the case. I try to turn on the NUC, and the same thing happens.

Is there anything else I could be missing? I feel like last time I fixed this it was either leaving the CMOS battery unplugged for a long time or messing around with different configurations of the BIOS jumper, but none of the solutions make sense for what the issue was. I don't want to give up on this little guy since I already got it working once again! Is it possible the CMOS battery arrived not fully charged? How would I check that without a voltage meter? Thanks again!

n_scott_pearson

A full power-on cannot be achieved with RAM removed. Only a small portion of the power-on process can be performed using CAR (Cache-As-RAM). This is enough to flash the Power LED to indicate that no RAM installed, but not much beyond that.

If your goal is to perform a jumper-based BIOS Recovery, you need to power on with jumper removed and RAM and flash drive installed.

...S

octalsandroses

Thank you @n_scott_pearson ! That did the trick! I'm back in business!

One last question: What is the size of the internal screw that attaches the motherboard to the casing itself? I want to replace the stripped screw, and don't feel comfortable with the motherboard only being held in place by 1 screw.

In the end I think the two main issues were:

- CMOS battery failure

- UPS not outputting pure sine wave.

For anyone else with a similar issue, the following worked for me:

• Unplug the CMOS battery for 15 minutes
  • Use a surge protector or regular outlet (not UPS)
  • Remove the BIOS Jumper and the SSD hard drive.
  • Leave the RAM in (important!)
  • Plug in the USB Flash Drive with the .bio file into the front of the NUC (in the yellow port).
  • Plug the keyboard into the front panel.
  • Plug in the AC adapter.
  • Give it a few seconds.
  • Hold down the power button until something shows up on your monitor.
  • Reset the BIOS with on-screen menu.
  • Put the BIOS security jumper back on 1-2.
  • Install the hard drive again
  • Power on the NUC