Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC5i7RYH BIOS updater not working

Have problem with 2016 NUC. Windows 10. Trying to rip DVD or large file copy, or if unit comes under power draw, system will shutdown. Have to unplug, wait 30min+, then can power on. I've downloaded latest BIOS twice (both 384 and prior version) to USB and tried F7 and Visual BIOS to update with same result. System shuts off after first reboot and power button LED flashes RED once per couple of seconds. I unplug power, wait 30 min, then can power on again.

Specs:

500GB Samsung m.2 2280 SSD (win 10 boot drive)

Crucial 2x8GB RAM DDR3-1600

Seagate/Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB 5400RPM data drive

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

1. Try to update your Bios using Bios recovery from Power Button Menu:
  2. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file RY0384.bio on this stick and insert it into front USB slot with amber color (NUC shall be OFF). You may use also one of the rear USB ports (do not use front blue USB port, since sometime the USB stick is not recognized during boot process).
  3. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.
  4. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
  5. When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.
  6. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
  7. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  8. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
  9. If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings. 

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

My power button boot menu only lists the 3 options for (from memory) Boot Menu; BIOS update (F7); BIOS Settings.

I recopied the .bio file to my USB drive (8GB FAT32) and used the front yellow USB port.

I booted up the NUC as I normally do and pressed F7 (no F4 option, did not try if hidden option) for BIOS update.

NUC could see the USB drive and file (same as it did in front, blue port), so I selected the .bio file, Y to confirm, and, again, the NUC shutdown and the power button flashed red/amber instead of blue. No reboot, nothing on the screen, etc.

I've unplugged power and have to wait another 30min or so before I can try again.

I've also previously set BIOS settings to default (F9) and saved/exited

Other ideas?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. "My power button boot menu only lists the 3 options for (from memory) " you don't remember correctly. See para. 3.6.4 in Technical Product Specification.
  2. "I recopied the .bio file to my USB drive (8GB FAT32) " you should prepare (full format)your USB as described in para. 2 in my post above.
  3. "I normally do and pressed F7" Bios update using F7 is not the same as Bios recovery using F4. I'm not sure that Bios recover will solve your problem, however, I would give a try.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I've reformatted the USB drive. (not quick FAT32). I've copied the BIOS file to the USB drive.

No matter how I press the power button, I never get the Power Button Menu. I've tried from an O/S (Win10) restart and cold boot. I've removed the power and will wait 30min and try from a cold boot. If I hold the power button (Top, near front panel) for 3 seconds, I get solid blue. If I press and hold for 4+ seconds, It shuts off again.

When my NUC shuts itself off (too much CPU iTunes sync, etc), I must pull power and wait 1hr before doing anything.

During a normal boot, with the USB drive into any USB port, I can attempt a BIOS update. The NUC sees the USB drive and the .bio file. When I select the file, and <ENTER> for Yes, the NUC starts to reboot, then shuts off and the power button LED flashes Amber. Any button press at the point does nothing and I must remove power and wait at least 30 min and try again.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello MWarg1

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to inform you that due to the Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH has been discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. We hope the community may provide additional suggestions. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html

You can verify this product's discontinuance status at HTTP://ark.intel.com/ > Product Status > "Discontinued".

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. Since you can't reach the Power Button menu, you may try Bios Recovery with the Yellow Security Jumper removed:
  2. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
  3. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 50 in Technical Product Specification.
  4. Insert the USB with the RY0384.bio file into front USB slot with amber color (NUC shall be OFF). 
  5. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes. The Power LED should blink during recovery process.
  6. When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
  7. Power your NUC ON.
  8. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  9. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Hope this will work

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you!

This procedure did work. I did have to leave the power cord out for over 1 hr after the procedure before the NUC would fully turn on again.

I did get into the BIOS and set and saved the defaults.

So far I'm running Chrome, IE,, iTunes, and listening to a podcast while typing this.

All processes are showing low to moderate power usage and no high speed fan spinning followed by a shutdown.

Later today i will try to sync my Iphone and iPad.

Stay tuned!

Thank you !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC had been running for a few hours, updating my iTunes libraries, backing up files, and surfing the web

iPad backup was corrupted during prior backup. Deleted backup in attempt to do a full backup again.

Part way through, i hear the fan spinning, then, plunk, power shuts down.

Will try again in a couple of hours. Need to see if i can find a data only cable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Could be that be that your NUC is overheated as result of dust accumulated in the cooling blower and on the cooling solution. In order to undust it, you need to remove the board. Use this guide to see how to remove the board. See this video to help you with the undusting.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you!

I followed the iFixit instructions and the YouTube video after the one you linked too. Found a buildup of dust (not as much as in the video) and cleared out all dust. NUC has been running fine ever since. I unsuccessfully tried to sync my iPad (full backup as prior were corrupted due to NUC shutdowns). It nearly completed. I will try again later this evening after ambient temperature drops.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos