Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

NUC5i7RYH CMOS battery / time resets / no bootable device

Jump to solution

HI,

I have an NUC5i7RYH which has woked perfectly for almost exactly 2 years. All updates have been applied. It now has these issues.

1. First boot in the morning and I get the following.

a. A message "No bootable device" (although not every time). Sometimes I have to powercycle the device several times before it will boot.

b. The clock time on starting Windows 10 has slipped back by a few hours.

I have replaced the CMOS battery twice (I thought maybe the first one was also defective). No improvement.

If I do not unplug the power overnight, then it boots normally.

Help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Final answer....

The unit has been replaced by Intel.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Reset bios to default settings:

- press F2 during boot, to enter bios settings.

- Press F9 confirmed by "Y" to set bios default settings

- press F10 followed by "Y" to save the settings and exit.

Could be that some upgrade was not complete. Follow the mentioned steps which would help:

- Left click on the "Start" button (in the lower left side of the monitor)

- Left click on "Command Prompt (Admin)

- Write the following in the Command Prompt window: sfc/scannow

- Press "Enter" on keyboard

- Wait till the system file checker process finishes and reboot NUC

If the above will not help you should recover your bios: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC . If you will choose the Power Button Menu option, release the Power Button immediately when the Power Led changes color form blue to amber. NUC will reboot into Power Button Menu. With the USB inserted into slot press F4 and the recovery will begin. The RY0367.bio bios file download from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27230/BIOS-Update-RYBDWi35-86A-?product=87570 Download BIOS Update [RYBDWi35.86A]

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Why are you unplugging the NUC overnight?

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I have always unplugged my computers and other electrical stuff overnight or if I go away for a day or more. I thought that is what most people do? Maybe not in the age of recharging devices overnght.

Leaving it turned on 24/7 is just putting a bandaid over the problem. The NUC is still under warranty, so if it is a hardware problem I can get it fixed.

Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

Modern electrical devices do not need the power pulled unless you will be gone for a number of days. They draw so little power when off it is not an issue of cost. Sounds like some settings are getting lost when you pull power. Check the event log in the BIOS to see if you have any error messages listed. Changing the CMOS battery does not effect the settings in the BIOS other than the Time/Date. Could be you are getting a static surge when you pull power? Is the Power Adaptor plugged into a grounded socket? Try leaving it plugged in but powered off overnight and see if you get the same errors when you power it on again.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

- No error messages in BIOS log

- So the CMOS battery is only for the clock? Where are the other BIOS settings saved?

- I can unplug and plug in the unit with no issues provided it is reconnected to the power inside of at least 30 minutes.

- Leaving the unit plugged in all night gave no issue in booting.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

This morning had the same issues, but took four power ons and power offs before the boot device could be found.

Anyway, I have now

1. Run the scf utility => no problems found.

2. Recovered the BIOS to the latest version. This gave me a Windows 10 BSOD on booting, but after the report was sent to Microsoft the NUC rebooted itself and all was OK.

3. Reran scf => no problem.

4. Run the Transcend SSD check utility. => no problem.

5. Installed a new batch of updates just arrived from Microsoft.

Turned off the NUC for twenty minutes and it booted fine.

Next step is to leave it off overnight and see what happens tomorrow.

idata
Community Manager

Well, this morning the unit took over six power cycles before it found the bootable device, the clock has slipped back five hours.

Disappointing.

No progress.

Next plan is to use a different M.2 SSD and reinstall windows.

Might take a couple of days to organise it.

Any other suggestions?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Next day, after disconnecting the power adapter, wait few minutes (2-3) after reconnecting the adapter, before pressing on the Power Button.

Leon

idata
Community Manager

Hi Leon,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it will prove anything useful. Depending on where I am with this, I will try it tomorrow. Problem is I only get one shot per day, as turning the unit off and on, even with a 30 minute delay, all works fine. I wish it was simply bricked.

I bought the unit and installed an SSD to get it to boot from scrath in fifteen seconds or so. It has been doing this reliably for almost exactly two years since I made the purchase.

Now something has gone wrong.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

To answer your question, the BIOS Configuration is stored in the Flash device along with the firmware.

I have come to the conclusion that you base unit has a problem and needs to be replaced. Contact Intel Customer Support directly to set up RMA process.

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am now tending to agree, Hope the problem can be replicated by Intel after I remove the RAM and drives.

Bummer.

idata
Community Manager

Final answer....

The unit has been replaced by Intel.

View solution in original post