Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC5i7RYH Missing Memory

I just recently purchased a NUC (NUC5i7RYH) Installation was pretty much straight forward.

1. Windows 10 Pro (32 bit)

2. Crucial CT2Kit 102464BF1160B 2 X 8 GB DDR3L 1600MT/S PC3-12800 SODIMM 204 Pin

3. Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD *MZ-N5E250BW)

4, Seagate Internal hard disk laptop SSHD (hybrid) 1TB (2.5 / SATA 6GB / s / 5400rpm / 8GBMLC 64MB

The problem: 16GB of memory is installed, but only 2.5GB is usable. The bios shows both memories 8GB / 8GB Total 16GB

Where is the missing memory?

See attached:

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hi Becketo,

One look at your attached file revealed the issue: "System type 32-bit Operating System"

32bit OS can not address RAM in excess of 4GB (3.6GB to be precise).

Your NUC is a 64bit platform with an x64 (64bit) processor, and for you to take advantage of the full 16GB in your system, you have to install a 64 bit operating system, Windows x64 or Linux x64. No, there's no easy workaround.

Highlighted
Beginner

Hi hegenious,

Thanks for your help. Just as I suspected. I am glad it wasn't a hardware issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello:

Thank you very much hegenious, for the information provided.

To Becketo, as you can see on the answer provided by hegenious, you need a 64 bit OS to be able to use 16GB.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi hengenious,

I did find a workaround. I had purchased an OEM of Windows 7 Pro (32 bit) and installed it on my NUC.

Then I installed or upgraded to Windows 10 Pro (32 bit).

I had a USB of Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) used on my other computers which are running 64 bit that I downloaded from Microsoft.

I took a leap of faith and decided to re-install on my NUC Windows 10 with the 64 bit. It asked me for a product key, but I just ignored it and hit next.

The OS completed successfully changing the 32 bit to 64 bit. I just thought this might help others.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

yes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Becketo:

Thank you very much for that information, it is very helpful, and yes, it will definitely help others.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos