Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC5i7RYH Why Can I Not Get 3840 x 2160p @ 60 Hz From Mini DisplayPort?!

NUC5i7RYH:

• 5th Generation Intel Core i7-5557U processor
  • Intel Iris Graphics 6100
  • Memory types:DDR3L-1333/1600 1.35V SO-DIMM

I put in 16GB of this RAM. Windows 10.

I use this dongle to attach this NUC to my AVR (Onkyo NR-646), which is hooked up to my 4K projector (Optoma UHD65). This setup allows for 4K @ 60Hz with a UHD Blu Ray player, Roku and PS4 Pro.

The product technical specifications (page 22, 1.5.1.4) state I should be able to get 4k @ 60Hz from my NUC but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how. I have tried the mDP-to-HDMI in every HDMI port of the AVR (not all are HDCP 2.2, does not seem to matter) but I cannot set the resolution to be 3840 x 2160p @ 60Hz. I can set 3840 x 2160p @ 30Hz or 1920 x 1080p @ 60Hz. I attempted via Windows setup as well as the Iris Graphics application. No dice.

The NUC thinks the Onkyo AVR is the display whether I use the mDP or HDMI ports. Is there a way I can tell it to look at my projector instead? Would that even help? All my other devices pass 4K @ 60Hz through the Onkyo AVR just fine, so I remain at a loss as to why the NUC has so much trouble with it.

This is a shame because I purchased this unit as a home theatre PC. I appreciate how Windows allows passthru of HD audio (for Plex, etc) and the Windows Netflix app is one of the few that allows UHD and Dolby Atmos, so I would really like to be using my NUC to it's full potential.

Any assistance is much appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

This sounded like an interesting experiment so I decided to give it a go.

I have a HT setup in my Rec Room built around an Onkyo TX-NR575 4K AV Receiver and a Samsung 6000 Series 40" 4K TV. Normally, I have a NUC6i5SYH NUC connected to this receiver. It utilizes a mDP-to-HDMI adapter that allows it to do 4K@60p without issue.

I replaced the NUC6i5SYH with a NUC5i5RYH, using same adapter, same everything. The display connection came up at 4K@29p. I was able to adjust it to 30p but that's all that it offered. I attempted to manually create a configuration for 4K@60p, but it said that this would exceed the bandwidth of the connection. Well, according to the DP page on Wikipedia, 4K@60p requires a bandwidth of 12.54 Gb/s. The DP 1.2a output of this processor in this NUC is rated at 17.28 Gb/s. It should have had bandwidth to spare.

I too do not understand why it will not work - but I am going to talk to the experts and find out.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

MRubi6, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. Just to let you know, the Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH is under a status of: "End Of Interactive Support", as you can confirm in here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/87570/intel-nuc-kit-nuc5i7ryh.html So, I will move your thread to the proper department for further assistance. As an option you may want to try our Discontinued Products Community to get recommendations from fellow community members.: https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/discontinued-products Or you may also find the Discontinued Products Website helpful to address your request: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html One of the things that you can try is to test the NUC directly connected to the TV and verify if you can get 3840 x 2160p @60 Hz resolution that way. Additionally, here is the link for the Home Theater set up recommended by Intel®, just in case you want to check that configuration: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008497/mini-pcs.html Thank you for your response, Scott. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

BTW, I also tested with a direct connection to the TV. It made no difference; 4K@30p was all it would do. Again, this is with known-good adapter and cable that deliver 4K@60p using SY NUC. In theory, the mDP outputs from these processors is identical in capability.

0 Kudos