Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SRang5
Beginner

NUC5i7RYH not turning on

Hi,

​This is for my nuc5i7ryh.

Was trying to connect a egpu via M.2 m key slot on my nuc.

While doing this, nuc went sleep and now I'm having hard time to start it.

On pressing the power button, blue light blinks once, cpu ​fan shakes a little.. but even the bios screen doesn't come up.. monitor remains black.

Using 2x8GB RAM and a 128 gb SSD. Been using the nuc for over 3 years now. Past time the same happened, i left it and turned on the next day and everything was fine.. unfortunately I'm not able to save it this time .

Really appreciate any help to fix this.

Already tried the bios jumper fix (fully removing with recovery bios file on usb, moved the jumper to 2 &3 pin, removed all ram, optical devices and even tested with wired mouse, keyboard with another ssd.. no luck what do ever.

Have a doubt if this could be graphics related as it happened while connecting egpu using a riser.. Gpu i was trying to connect was Zotac gtx 1050 ti mini.

​egpu never worked before as it always stayed undetected.

Please help.. ​

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Here are some thoughts:

1. Have you tried powering on with everything disconnected and all SODIMMs and M.2 devices removed? Should pulse power button LED three times when you press the power button.
    1. If that succeeds, try adding in just one SODIMM and see if it powers on and stays on.
    2. If this succeeds, power back off and move the SODIMM from the one SODIMM socket to the other. Power on and see if it stays powered on.
    3. If this succeeds, power back off and add second SODIMM. Power back on and see if it stays powered on.
    4. If this succeeds, power back off, reconnect keyboard, mouse and monitor to NUC and power on. If you see splash screen, attempt to go into BIOS Setup using F2 key.
  2. If, with everything removed, it still just powers back off, try doing a full CMOS reset.
    1. Fully disconnect from A/C power, lift board far enough out of chassis that you can then unplug the CR2032 battery (from the opposite side of the board).
    2. After waiting 15 minutes, put it back together.
    3. Power on and see if stays powered on.
    4. If this succeeds, power back off, reconnect keyboard, mouse and monitor to NUC and power on.
    5. If you see splash screen, attempt to go into BIOS Setup using F2 key. If you make it,
      1. Set date and time and then press F9 (followed by Y) to reset BIOS configuration and then press F10 (followed by Y) to save this configuration and exit.
      2. When you see BIOS splash screen, again press F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
      3. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration (BOOT Order, etc.) that you absolutely need and then press F10 (followed by Y) to save this configuration and edit.
      4. When you see splash screen, power off and reconnect boot drive, etc.
      5. Test can boot to O/S.
  3. If steps 1 and 2 don't work, do you have another power supply you could try? The symptoms you describe could be the result of the power supply not transitioning from standby to high current states.

That's all I can think of for now. Try these things and respond with success/failure information and we'll go from there...

...S

SRang5
Beginner

Hi,

Yes, have tried those options as well.

I have removed all the components and tried. No luck

Tried removing the bios battery and tried the next morning.. same effect.. No luck

Tried another power adapter .. No luck

Tried cleaning the fan, there was dust collected between the fan & heat sink .. No luck.. so ruled out heating issue.. Never gone too hot so far.

If i press the power button at this time, the power light blinks just once, main fan stuts but stops.. back to square one.

No luck so far with powering up the unit.

As soon as i connect the power cable, a yellow light glows on the motherboard. I also hear a whizzing sound from the processor.. However this is not the main fan. I dont see it spinning whatsoever.

Am i right to assume that it means the processor and MB works fine its just display / Video problem? ( I tried different monitor but without power up, not sure if this assumption is correct).

Thank you for your reply.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, that is not a valid assumption. That LED coming on only means that the power supply is able to generate the trickle of standby power necessary; nothing more. It does not mean that the power supply is able to generate the full power load. It also does not mean that the board's components for distributing main power are working properly.

I am sorry to have to say that you may have fried something when you attempted to hook up that eGPU,

...S