Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.

NUC5i7RYH

Honglonglong
Beginner

I have bought a brant new NUC5i7RYH on 2017 March . 2022 May 14 my NUC cannot be powered on. I have searched the Intel Support and have known that  NUC5i7RYH is out of warranty. How can I fix the power on my NUC? NUCNUCNUC1NUC1

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

What *does* it do?

First of all, before anything else, because of the age of your NUC, I would recommend that you replace the CR2032 CMOS backup battery. Make sure that the polarity of the new battery is correct by ensuring that the colors of the cables match at the connector.

Note that, in the experiments below, I am repeating (i.e. asking for the power button to be pressed) just in case auto-power-on is disabled.

Test #1:

Disconnect power supply. Remove all SODIMMs. Reconnect power supply.

Do you see the green Standby Power LED come on?

At the same time, do you see the LED on the power button flash three times?

Hold the power button down for 8 seconds and release. Now, press the Power button again.

Do you now see the LED on the power button flash three times?

--> If you do not see the green Standby LED coming on when the power supply is connected, then either the power supply or voltage regulation circuitry on the NUC's board has failed (either is a non-recoverable situation).

--> If you do not see the Power Button LED flash three times, then there is a failure in the processor or memory bus circuitry (either is a non-recoverable situation).

Test #2:

Disconnect the power supply. Install one SODIMM. Reconnect power supply.

If not, press the power button.

Disconnect the power supply. Move the SODIMM to the other connector. Connect the power supply.

If not, press the power button.

--> If the LED flashed for both SODIMM connectors, then you have a SODIMM, memory bus circuitry on the motherboard or processor that has failed. But, to be sure, repeat the experiment with your other SODIMM.

Test #3:

Perform the same test with both SODIMMs installed.

Test #4:

There actually isn't a Test #4, but I wanted to delineate things. If you get here and you have indeed seen the green Standby LED lighting up when the power supply is connected and you indeed saw the Power Button LED flashing with no SODIMMs installed but it was not flashing with either or both of the SODIMMs installed, then you are in a state where nothing -- other than problem with BIOS (firmware) -- is preventing power on.

This is a good stopping point. Let me know your results.

...S