Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JWALL12
Novice

NUC5i7ryh and Intel Network Adapter

I installed the latest Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection Driver, dated 27-Oct-2017, located here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27249/Intel-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Connection-Driver-for... Download Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection Driver for Windows 8.1*, for the Intel® NUC

And it appeared to install without any issues. However, I am concerned about it after looking at the driver Properties page from Network Adapters in Device Manager. When I look at the network adapter's Properties page and Driver tab, it shows "Digital Signer: Not digitally signed." Then, in Driver Details, I can see four files listed, one of which is "C:\Windows\system32\e1d64x64.din". It shows Unknown for Provider, File version, and Copyright. These does not seem right to me.

I want to enable the Secure Boot functionality in NUC's BIOS. First, however, I believe that I need to get this issue fixed because, if I am not mistaken, Secure Boot will not work properly with an unsigned driver. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello wheeler2,

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC Community.

You should be able to enable Secure Boot even if the driver is not digitally signed. I will check for more information on the digitally signature for this driver.

Regards,

Amy C.

JWALL12
Novice

Hello, Amy.

I appreciate your response to my earlier question. I have tried searching around for a thorough explanation of how to make use of all the BIOS features, especially the security features, but I have been unable to locate a definitive user guide. From what I did see, it appears as if many persons had problems booting after enabling Secure Boot, and I would like to avoid that issue for sure. When I click off to enable the capability for Secure Boot, should I also enable the option for "Install Intel Platform Key"? What exactly does this latter option entail? Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Sure /thread/119490 wheeler2.

Check the BIOS Glossary for more information on the settings: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/BIOSGlossary_NUC.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/BIOSGlossary_NUC.pdf

The Install Intel Platform Key option generates a new Secure Boot Platform Key during next boot.

Regarding the driver details information, I confirmed that Intel is currently working with Microsoft on fixing an issue that prevents the information from being properly displayed in the driver details tab.

Regards,

Amy C.

JWALL12
Novice

Thank you, Amy. I did enable Secure Boot and chose to install the Intel Platform Key. I verified its operational status with Powershell. I rebooted and all appears to be fine for the most part, but one slight problem occurs now. When booting, the splash screen no longer shows any of the F-key bootup options, which appeared previously, specifically:

F2 Set up

F7 Update Bios

F10 Boot menu

The input functionality still works, which I checked by tapping on the F2 key while booting and I did enter the BIOS setup menu, but the initial display of these options no longer appears. The machine just boots into Windows eventually. I double-checked the BIOS setting for "Boot Display Config", which still has these three options selected to appear, but their display no longer works. Any ideas about how to get the display back? I do have the latest BIOS installed on this NUC (i.e., RY0367.bio).

Thanks, again.

idata
Community Manager

Sure, you're welcome.

By any chance did you enable/disable Fast Boot? In order to disable Fast Boot without entering BIOS setup, power down the system for 5 seconds, then power it back on while holding the power button for 2 seconds (the system will beep). You can find this description in the BIOS Glossary.

Regards,

Amy C.

JWALL12
Novice

> "By any chance did you enable/disable Fast Boot?"

I did not, and I double-checked again, but it is not enabled. Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for the confirmation.

Then, let's try with a BIOS recovery. The latest version is https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27230/BIOS-Update-RYBDWi35-86A-?product=87570 Download BIOS Update [RYBDWi35.86A] and find the steps here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Regards,

Amy C.

idata
Community Manager

/thread/119490 wheeler2,

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

JWALL12
Novice

> ... "The Install Intel Platform Key option generates a new Secure Boot Platform Key during next boot."

Now that another bios update has been provided, I downloaded it and installed it. In order to do so, it was necessary to disable secure-boot functionality temporarily. Otherwise, the update fails to happen. After updating, when I then re-enabled secure-boot, are we supposed to once again select to "install Intel platform key", or should be just assume that the previously generated one will be reused. Does it matter one way or another in light of the current bios security fixes, or for another reason? Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Hello wheeler2

Thank you for your contacting us regarding the questions about your BIOS settings; it will be more than a pleasure to assist you.

In this case please go ahead and re-enabled secure-boot, this time without selecting "Install Intel Platform Key". The reason why is because the key will be re-used by the OS and the board, so there is no need of creating a new one that may cause instability on the actual system.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

idata
Community Manager

Hello wheeler2,

I was taking a look to your thread and I wanted to know if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back if necessary.

Best Regards,

Diego S.