Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CKiln
Beginner

NUC6CAY - No Video after BIOS Update

I have a NUC6CAY computer. It was working perfectly fine. I tried to update the BIOS with the same file used on a previous lot of these computers we purchased (same model number). The update appears to have completed correctly but on reboot I get nothing on the screen but the blue ring around the power is solid.

I tried using standard video and HDMI but not luck (monitor is fine as used on other NUC computers), the computer is fine (memory, CPU) as I had been using it with no problems.

I can't get anything on the screen to boot into the BIOS or do another update. I tried the BIOS security jumper removing it and booting and still nothing on the screen.

Any ideas? This is new out of the box and had been using for a few weeks prior to attempting this update.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

With the system powered off, press and hold the power button until the button LED changes to an orange color, then let go. This should put you into the Power Button Menu. This is like a default mode for the BIOS. If you see the menu, press F2. This should take you into Visual BIOS. Then restore default settings by pressing F9. Then save and reboot by pressing F10. This should cause the system to boot normally. If it still doesn't work you might want to try another monitor.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Hhmmm, can you get into the Power Button Menu (PBM)? When powering on, hold the power button down until the power button LED flashes amber. You should see the PBM appear in a few seconds.

Things to try at this point would be (a) clearing CMOS (best if done by disconnecting battery) and (b) reinstalling this BIOS via the jumper-based BIOS Recovery method.

Hope this helps,

...S

CKiln
Beginner

• I have tried the bios boot-jumper (moving to pin 2-3 and removing entirely). No change video simply shows "No Signal Detected".
  • Tried the Power On Button Menu -- holding this down the blue light with the ring around the buttons simply turns to device off and the power light is simply amber.
  • I have tried a different monitor using VGA port as well as HDMI and same results "No Signal Detected".

I would remove the CMOS battery but haven't been able to locate this. I actually have two computers with the exact same problem, both after BIOS update.

Any other suggestions or have I really "bricked" these units?

idata
Community Manager

Hello ckilner

I understand that you are having no video issues after BIOS update that you performed.

In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it's possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state, causing all types of inconveniences.

In this case, I would like you to recover the BIOS of your machines by following any of these instructions:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

Here you will find the latest BIOS for your machine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27753/NUCs-BIOS-Update-AYAPLCEL-86A- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27753/NUCs-BIOS-Update-AYAPLCEL-86A-

Please go ahead and perform the update and let us know the outcome.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Battery is attached to the processor side of the board. You essentially have to remove the board from the chassis to unplug the battery.

...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

Try to boot your NUC with security jumper removed and without USB stick with bios file inserted. After 30 sec - 90 sec, you shall see configuration menu (similar to the attached image)

Leon

Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

Try the Power Button Menu again but this time don't rely on the LED changing color.

With the system powered off, Press and hold the power button and count to 4 and let go. Even if the color does not change, this usually will get me into the Power Button Menu.

If you want to try removing the battery, it is located on the top of the board. This means you will have to remove the board from the chassis to pull the battery cable. Remove the (2) screws holding the board to the chassis. Unscrew the bracket holding the VGA connector from the back of the chassis. Gently pull on the back of the chassis while pulling up on the ports on rear of the board. The board should come out at an angle easily.

Pull the battery cable and wait for 30 seconds or so.

idata
Community Manager

Hello ckilner,

We just wanted to double check if you need further help.

Please do not hesitate on replying back if you need more assistance.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

RGoly
Beginner

Hi! I have same problem: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490RsvSAE/nuc6cay-no-video-after-bios-update

Has your problem been resolved? Thanks in advance,

best regards, Roman G.