Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
THerr4
Novice

NUC6CAYH: First screen flickering with HDMI, now USB 3.0 ports do only USB 2.0 speed !

Jump to solution

Hi Intel,

this is frustrating. When i bought the little one in April, all was running smooth until i started updating the BIOS and other drivers about 6 weeks ago. With the firmware that was originaly on, Windows 10 Pro was running fine with no issues. About 6 weeks ago, after i got the, then latest updates, i also noticed that screen flickering that seems to appear randomly (connected to my ASUS VN279QLB monitor over HDMI). Then, about 2 weeks ago, i did another update and that appears to have crippled the speed of the USB 3.0 ports. With my USB 3.0 sticks and external HDDs i always got betweens 130-175 MB/sec downloading. Now they all MAX OUT at 38 MB/sec. I unplugged all cables, put them all back in again, reboots, loading defaults in BIOS, Windows 10 Pro and the NUC all have the latest updates. But USB 3.0 speed IS GONE !! Only question i have. Is Intel aware of such USB issue ? Or is my NUC toasted for some reason and i should send it back?

Cheers ... hoping for an helpfull answer

1 Solution
Chris_V_Intel

Hi all,

We have found a solution to the graphics flashing issue and the BIOS can be downloaded from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27407/BIOS-Update-AYAPLCEL-86A- Download BIOS Update [AYAPLCEL.86A]

View solution in original post

5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, Intel is aware of the issue and have reproduced it themselves. The BIOS team is looking at it. Fix should be in next BIOS release.

For the screen flickering issue, a user reported that they found that the refresh rate was set to a wonky value. Make sure that it is set correctly for your monitor.

Hope this helps,

...S

JESCA2
Novice

I have the same problem, I recently noticed the speed down of usb 3.0.

The worst thing is that I have an external hard drive with blue light if it acts in 3.0 and white light if it is 2.0

In another pc when connecting it turns blue and white in the nuc, so in nuc it acts as 2.0

24 November 2017

12 Diciembre 2017

Chris_V_Intel

Hi all,

We have found a solution to the graphics flashing issue and the BIOS can be downloaded from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27407/BIOS-Update-AYAPLCEL-86A- Download BIOS Update [AYAPLCEL.86A]

View solution in original post

THerr4
Novice

Thanks for looking into it. That flickering was more like a short split second (very heavy) tearing, like when you have vsync disabled during a game and part of the screen gets distorted. So after the problems appeared i switched from 60Hz to 50Hz with the HDMI connection. That solved the issue for me. Video with my dvb-c stick looked smoother also, since im getting 25/50 fps content here in Germany. So i think i will stick with the 50Hz. But as i write this i switched back to 60Hz with the new "0045" firmware. No screen glitches so far at 60Hz.

But the bigger issue: >>> SLOW USB 3.0 ports <<< </strong>

The USB 3.0 ports still only work at 2.0 speed. No more then 38 MB/sec. Even with the latest 0045 update. That has to be fixed. My blue light indicator on my external 3.0 devices are off, meaning USB 3.0 is not enabled for them. I hope this issue is seen as rather urgent for the BIOS team.

Best holiday wishes ,

T.H.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The USB issue is being worked as we speak and the fix will be included in a subsequent BIOS update.

...S