Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MJone13
Beginner

NUC6CAYH Freezing/Crashing... LAN troubles, etc

I picked up a NUC6CAYH with the plan of using it for Libreelec. I realize this is not a supported OS, but there are many others using the NUC6CAY for this without issue.

I have 2 x HyperX Impact 4GB 1866MHz DDR3L CL11 SODIMM 1.35V HX318LS11IB/4 installed. (tested with memtest for 48 hours without issue.) I have used both a Samsung 830 SSD, and an ADATA SP600

I have consistent crashing and freezing with Libreelec, that others are not experiencing. Sometimes it runs without crashing for an hour or so, sometimes only minutes.

I have experienced freezing in the visual bios, requiring a hard reset, at least a few times, and with both 0041, and 0042 bios.

I decided to install windows 10, as a test of an "approved" OS. Windows Setup experienced a crash during install, and after install, the Win 10 install itself experienced a BSOD. Additionally with Win 10, I am unable to install the LAN driver, no realtek lan is recognized... nothing is shown in the device manager either (no, it is NOT disabled in the bios)

I can gather info if it would help, but I am thinking there may be something wrong with my NUC.

What needs to be done to get a replacement?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The fact that you ran MemTest86 means didly. The memory is still likely the problem. Nothing faster than 1600 can be used. Test again with 1600 memory.

...S

MJone13
Beginner

Scroll down on the product page, 1866 should be compatible.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc6cayh.html NUC6CAYH

Are you saying that it doesn't work as intended even though it is listed as acceptable?

n_scott_pearson

I don't work for Intel, so I really don't care what their site does or doesn't say. The symptoms of the problems that you are describing are telling me that there's a high likelihood of a memory problem. If you ignore this and replace the unit, you could see the same problem with the replacement unit -- and will have wasted weeks finding out. Testing with 1600 memory now will avoid this wasted time.

As a general comment, the gain in performance from faster memory is almost insignificant. Increasing the amount of memory will make vastly more of a difference.

...S

MJone13
Beginner

Didn't have any extra "compatible" ram on hand. Went ahead and ordered some that is "Intel Validated" for my NUC. I will post back after installed and tested.

MJone13
Beginner

Thanks for the advice Scott.

Regardless of the fact that I ran the memtest86+ for 48hrs without issue, it appears that the Kingston HyperX Impact 4GB 1866MHz DDR3L Part# HX318LS11IB/4 (used in this NUCBlog http://nucblog.net/2017/01/apollo-lake-nuc-nuc6cayh-review/ review) was not working properly. I received and installed the new "Intel Validated" ram I ordered - Crucial CT2KIT51264BF160BJ, and everything has been running fine with zero crashes since.

Thanks for the Help!!

n_scott_pearson

Good to hear. Enjoy your system!

...S