Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PP5
Beginner

NUC6CAYH - Ubuntu 16.04 - Auto Power-On every day?

Hi All,

I just purchased an Intel NUC to be used with Ubuntu 16.04,

I have found a gui utility to schedule the machine to turn off each night,

However, I am trying to find a way to get the machine to auto power-on/Start up each morning.

I have tried the Power - Scheduled Wake Up options in the BIOS, however it doesn't work. It will not power on.

Is this technically possible, ie, schedule a Non-Windows OS on Intel NUC to power-own each morning from either the BIOS or a GUI App (I dont want to manually run a script each day).

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Please attach an image of your bios settings that did not work for you.

Leon

Edited:

I've checked in my NUC and I confirm that scheduled wake up function is not working any more. It was working in the past, but some bug was introduced in the new bios version. Sorry.

Leon

PP5
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for checking,

What is the process for getting Intel to check this and release an updated firmware/fix for this?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi MPspot

I've performed my test again. And this time it was working (i.e. NUC is automatically powering ON according to time schedule in BIOS). This is how I did this test:

1. Enter bios and set the power setting similar to the attached image (of course the time is according to your requirement).

2. Press F10 followed by "Y" to save the settings and exit BIOS.

3. Let the NUC completely restart to the Operating System (on my previous unsuccessful test I didn't wait till the restart process finishes and have forced Power OFF).

4. Shutdown NUC and wait to automatic restart.

Hope it will work for you

Leon

PP5
Beginner

Hi All,

I finally got it working,

Yesterday while re-attempting to get it to work, i noticed that the BIOS Time kept changing back to AM and about 11hours previous to the current time,

So i did a bit of searching and apparently its a known issue with Linux/Ubuntu where the time gets changed in the BIOS back to UTC time automatically.

So there was a command i had to run while in Ubuntu to set the System Clock to use the Local Time, not UTC time.

After doing this, i can confirm if is now working.

Thanks all.

PP5
Beginner

Btw,

Do you you know if there is an auto shutdown option in the Bios, i couldnt see one on mine so suspect theres not,

Or do you use a utility within ubuntu and if so, which one please?

Thanks,

LeonWaksman
Super User

I don't know any BIOS option to auto shutdown the computer. I'm using Windows 10 and not Ubuntu. Search net and you will find applications like: EasyShutdown or ComplexShutdown, but I've never used those application and can not recommend them.

Leon

PP5
Beginner

Thanks for re checkIng.

I thought i did allow the statem to boot and then gracefully shutdown though cant recall for sure.

I will re check toNight once home. Much appreciated.