Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

NUC6CAYH and HDR support with current driver (>= 4849 )?

This question has been raised before but the thread is closed now and there hasn't been any new information in wake of the HDR driver release.

Does the NUC6CAYH support HDR with the latest drivers on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update?

Starting with 15.60.0.4849 HDR support was introduced. The overview states it is only available on HD620 or better. However, the HD500 in the Atom Trail is based on the same GPU architecture and uses the same driver. So I am wondering wether Intel has purposely disabled HDR support on the lower end CPUs or if it does indeed work.

I ordered a NUC6CAYH to build a HTPC, but if HDR is not an option I will cancel the order and get an NVIDIA SHIELD instead.

Thank you for your information.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

ColinMacLaren: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® NUC communities. We will do our best to provide the information you are looking for.

In regard to your inquiry, as you mentioned previously, the HDR feature is supported on Windows® 10 and on the Intel® HD and UHD 620 graphics controller or higher, so that feature will not work on the NUC: please verify page 13:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/graphics/HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper...

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

idata
Community Manager

Why is that so? It is based on the same chipset as the HD620. The only reason I can imagine is that Intel wants to boost sales of their highter end NUCs thus artificially disabling features on the lower end devices.

idata
Community Manager

ColinMacLaren: As you can see on the document, the Intel® HDR technology works with a combination of firmware and hardware requirements, like the Intel® management engine and Security Guard Extensions. Those requirements are meet and only available on 7th generation processors or higher. Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

idata
Community Manager

And Apollo Lake IS a 7th generation processor. So this is just an artificial limitation to force consumers to buy the NUC7I3BNH / NUC7I5BNH for proper HTPC use.

idata
Community Manager

ColinMacLaren: Yes, correct, the thing is that it is not a 7th generation Core® processor, it is Celeron®.

Regards,

Alberto R

idata
Community Manager

The HD500 in the Apollo Lake CPUs is based on the same Gen9 architecture as the HD620+ that is used in the Kaby Lakes. So there shouldn't be any reason to disable HDR feature on the lower end chipsets despite Intel wanting to better distinguish their more expensive offerings. So I had to return the NUC6CAYH and go with an NVIDIA Shield TV instead although I would very much have preferred a Windows-based solution.

idata
Community Manager

ColinMacLaren: Thank you very much for providing that information, we are sorry to hear the NUC will not work as you expected.

Regards,

Alberto R