Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC6CAYH and dual-ram ?

Hej, does this model support dual-ram config? Now i have two sticks but i think about buying new "dual ranked" 2x4gb setup of ddr-3 from store to get a few more fps in light pixel-graphic games. Is there any sense? My cpuz screen:

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

my mistake, ofc, now i have 2x Micron 4GB 1600MHz DDR3L Series (4GB 1Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-11-B2)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Yes, NUC support dual channel memory configuration. And yes, in graphics games you can get very big improvement in computer performance. You can read the following article, dealing with this subject: http://nucblog.net/2015/09/dual-channel-vs-single-channel-does-it-matter/ Dual-channel vs. Single-channel, does it matter? – The NUC Blog .

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Can you give the P/N of your RAM? This Micron 4GB 1600MHz DDR3L Series (4GB 1Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-11-B2) is partial specification not P/N.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, all memory is required to have x8 organization. Support is NOT provided for SODIMMs with x16 organization. Secondly, getting dual-ranked (2Rx8) memory instead of single-ranked (1Rx8) memory is not going to get you any better performance (no extra FPS). Third, only memory with 4Gb or 8Gb technology ICs can be used. Finally, since issues have been reported in the past with 2Rx8 memory (though not necessarily against the AY NUCs), I would avoid it if I were you.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

There is a difference between dual ranked memory and dual channel memory mode. Actually single ranked memory is more expensive than dual ranked memory and theoretically the single ranked memory module will give slightly beter performance over dual ranked memory module. However dual channel memory is something else. In dual channel memory we are using for example a kit of 2 modules each having capacity of 4GB. In single channel mode we are using 8GB single memory module. Dual channel mode theoretically doubles the RAM access bandwidth on the computer, and therefore gives much higher performance (and yes, more FPS). This may be clearly seen in the test I've have given a link to it.

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I always assumed and was under the impression dual channel memory only worked/benefited in combination with Hyper-Threading, the Celeron Processor J3455 in NUC6CAYH doesn't support Hyper-Threading as far as I know

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Dual channel RAM operation and Hyperthreading are independent of each other.

You may enable either one without the other. So is not important that Celeron CPU doesn't support Hyperthreading to use Double Channel Memory mode. The Celeron J3455 Memory Controller has Bandwidth (single) 19,200 MB/s and for Double Mode has Bandwidth 38400 MB/s

Leon

0 Kudos