cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC6CAYH screen goes black every few minutes

Jump to solution
CategoryQuestionsAnswers (N/A if not applicable)DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issue Screen goes black for a couple of seconds every 1 to 5 minutes.

Always (100%):

Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system.nuc6caysHybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?N/AMake and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)HP W1907vHow much memory [RAM] in the system (<strong style="font-style: inherit; font-size: 1...
Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi all,

We have found a solution to the graphics flashing issue and the BIOS can be downloaded from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27407/BIOS-Update-AYAPLCEL-86A- Download BIOS Update [AYAPLCEL.86A]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello RoboEgg,

Thank you for contacting Intel Support,

I understand that you are having problems with your Nuc unit since it turns off the screen after a few minutes of use, I apologize for any inconveniences this may be causing.

Regarding the issue, we can try a few steps to try and solve the problem.

1) Check the BIOS version, make sure that it is the 0042 which is the latest:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/95062/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6CAYH

2) For testing purposes try a different refresh rate, 30Hz would be OK.

3) For testing purposes try a different connection, for example HDMI, also if possible try a different display (Monitor, TV, etc.)

4) For testing purposes please try a different cable when connecting the unit.

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

1) I have checked the releade notes for BIOS 42 and there is no mention of a fix for the black screen problems that are affecting large numbers of J3455 NUCs.

2) A refresh rate of 30Hz is no selectable.

3) I have tried connecting to my TV with HDMI. This works with no black screens. My computer moniter only has a VGA input so HDMI/DVI is not on option.

4) Tried other cables no difference.

Sorry David I don't find you reply of any help.

After seening many other J3455 NUC owners on your communities with exactly the same problem and hearing that a busness user found 20+ out of 120+

J3455 NUCs exibiting the black screen problem I realise this is infact a hardware problem affecting large numbers of NUCs. Working at Intel you must be aware of this?

I'm sending my NUC back for a replacement. I hope to get a good one mext time.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Stop press:

Latest advice from newuser17 is that updating to BIOS 41 solved all his black screen problems. So the latest BIOS may fix the problem - even though there is no mention of this in the release notes. I will give BIOS 42 a go. I will report back with the result.

BTW my NUC currently has BIOS 38.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

So far results look good with BIOS 42 only one black screen in about an hour. This is a big improvement over BIOS 38. Will keep you posted.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Ok after a few days testing I'm now seeing black screen for a couple of seconds about every hour on VGA port with BIOS 42. this is a big improvement over BIOS 38 however it is still quite annoying.

To avoid the hassle of returning the NUC for a working one I've bought a second hand HDMI monitor. No black screens with HDMI .

Now just waiting for Intel to sort out the UBS 3 speed problem.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi all,

We have found a solution to the graphics flashing issue and the BIOS can be downloaded from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27407/BIOS-Update-AYAPLCEL-86A- Download BIOS Update [AYAPLCEL.86A]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos