Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GGoch
Beginner

NUC6CAYH temp sensor issue causing high fan speed

I have a NUC6CAYH that reports 127C for the motherboard ambient temp in the UEFI interface. This is making the fan run at 7000 rpm all the time. The NUC otherwise works fine. I have tried flashing the UEFI to the latest 0059 version but is still doing it. Is there a fix for this or do I need an RMA to fix??

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

​If you know how to remove the board, you may check if some screw holding the blower and thermal solution is not loose. However if you don't know how to do it, I'll suggest that you should requast RMA.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Actually, this value is an indication that the thermal diode on the board is blown. There are two ways to proceed. If your system is still under warranty, you can have the unit replaced. Otherwise, you can switch to using the other thermal diode (which is near (under) the SODIMM sockets) for fan speed control decision-making. This is done in BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS). Click on Advanced and then Cooling. In the CPU Fan Header window on the right, change the setting for the Primary Temperature Sensor parameter to Memory.

Hope this helps,

...S

GGoch
Beginner

Well it should still be in warranty kinda sad one stupid diode should make it malfunction. The visual bios doesn't seem to have the option to select a thermal sensor to use as primary.

I did just set it to fixed at 65% which gets it down to 5000 rpm or so. ​

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @GGoch​ 

Scott's advice is the best solution for you.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Oops, sorry, you are right; you cannot disable the sensor. I hit the wrong button on the KVM and thus was looking at the wrong NUC (doh!) 😖.

Ok, so, you can stick with a manual setting (which won't protect you if the processor gets really hot) or you can look at getting a replacement.

After verifying your warranty is still active (start here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/services/000006303.html?wapkw=warranty+check), you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through the forums). Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local phone numbers, sorted by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_desktop_ww_english_Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S