Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GerKel1
Novice

NUC6I5SYK Linux error in log: DMAR: [Firmware Bug]: Your BIOS is broken; bad RMRR

NUC6I5SYK shows error when booting linux:

kernel: DMAR: [Firmware Bug]: No firmware reserved region can cover this RMRR [0x000000007b800000-0x000000007fffffff], contact BIOS vendor for fixes
kernel: DMAR: [Firmware Bug]: Your BIOS is broken; bad RMRR [0x000000007b800000-0x000000007fffffff]
BIOS vendor: Intel Corp.; Ver: SYSKLi35.86A.0072.2019.1001.1636; Product Version: H81131-505

'Your BIOS is broken' sounds alarming to me.

Is it a real threat or just some typically hysterical linux-journal babble?

Thank you in advance;

GerKel

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello GerKel1,    

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I need to inform you that due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help.  

You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your concern.   

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician 

MRoss5200
New Contributor III

What distro of Linux are you using and what kernel version? Does this error stop the Linux from working? Could this be a false positive error? Are you overclocking your memory beyond 2133MHz?

These questions need to be answered since your post does not provide enough information.

Saw this on an Arch Linux forum post that might answer your question:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=253883

GerKel1
Novice

Hello @MRoss5200 and thank you for your reply.

I'am using Archlinux, mainline kernel 5.8.13-arch1-1. 
Memory (Crucial DDR4 2133) is not overclocked. All stock settings in BIOS.

The "error" appeared with one of the latest kernel (5.X) updates but I did not notice any impacts beside the alarming red "Your BIOS is broken!" entry in logs.

I found the thread in the archlinux forum too but everything there is speculation only.

heitbaum
Beginner

hi @GerKel1 - I just posted the following security related post. Hoping intel come back to us with commitment on fixing the cpu microcode issue and you DMAR issue. Both security related. I’m sure an easy fix for Intel.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/NUC6i5SYH-Bios-update-for-Microcode-000000e2/m-p/1232307#M...

both within the security fix timeline.

the NUC product line is such a great solution.