cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JKrev
New Contributor I

NUC6I7KYK doesn't respond to F2 (or F7, or F10) during boot

Jump to solution

I have been unable to get my NUC6I7KYK to respond to the F2 key (or any other key for that matter) during the boot sequence. The machine is running the most recent BIOS but I also tried the immediate previous one and ran into the same problem. I know the keyboard function keys are OK because they work fine (during boot) on my other computer. It's been a while since I've changed any of the settings on the NUC but I did make some changes a long time ago so I know it used to work.

I do see the F2/F7/F10 options displayed during boot. I've considered the possibility that somehow the thing might have gotten set up for Fast Boot so I've tried the instructions for bypassing it but either that doesn't work or there's some trick I'm missing.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
JKrev
New Contributor I

Never did try the more invasive ways of getting to the BIOS since subbing in a new keyboard worked (still don't understand why the old keyboard worked on one computer but not on the NUC). This allowed me to proceed with the other debugging I was trying to do, which did not involve any problems with the NUC.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Starting from the powered off state is a little easier. Immediately after powering on, start hitting the F2 key over and over until it is accepted. Other alternative is to power on holding the power button down for 3 full seconds before releasing (note: holding it down for 4 full seconds powers back off, so you will know if you hold it down too long). This will display power button menu and you can use the F2 key to get you into BIOS Setup from there.

Hope this helps,

...S

JKrev
New Contributor I

I've already tried both of those suggestions but ran through them again just to be sure. The F2 key simply does nothing during the boot sequence (although the F2/F7/F10 options are displayed on the screen). The 3-second power button routine brings up the usual menu but all of the F* key presses are ignored. ESC brings the machine back to the usual boot sequence, however. The function keys do work. In particular, F2 works and brings me into the BIOS on my other computer.

In case it matters, the keyboard is connected directly to one of the USB ports on the NUC. I've tried two of them, no difference. Normally I run the keyboard and mouse through the hub on my monitor but figured it would be better to simplify the topology while trying to get this sorted out.

Really hope I don't need to get the hammer out for this one...

JKrev
New Contributor I

Well, even though my keyboard works well enough to satisfy my other computer, the NUC seems to be a little pickier. F2 on a different keyboard works. It's probably not worth pursuing this one any further.

LeonWaksman
Super User

If you have reached the Power Boot Menu, you shall see there [F3] Disable Fast Boot (it will be displayed only if Fast Boot is enabled).

You can also try to enter your Bios settings from Configuration Menu:

1. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom cover from your NUC.
  2. Remove the yellow security jumper (see Product Technical Spec, para. 2.2.4.1, page 39: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC6i7KYK_TechProdSpec.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC6i7KYK_TechProdSpec.pdf ) and close the bottom cover.

3. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min, you will see the Configuration Menu - similar to the attached image.

4. Now try to disable the Fast Boot (press F3) or press F2 to enter Bios.

5. When you finish, switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper.

Leon

idata
Community Manager

Hello, kdok.

I would like to know if the troubleshooting steps provided by lw1948 worked for you.

Antony S.
JKrev
New Contributor I

Never did try the more invasive ways of getting to the BIOS since subbing in a new keyboard worked (still don't understand why the old keyboard worked on one computer but not on the NUC). This allowed me to proceed with the other debugging I was trying to do, which did not involve any problems with the NUC.

View solution in original post