Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC6i3SYH

Jump to solution

Hello,

Troubles with my NUC getting stuck at the first screen. (Shows F2 and two more F button options). At that point I was able to go into BIOS. 

I decided to update BIOS. That of course failed but I got an error message "Memory Size Decreased".

As I tried to reboot again there was no more video output. I've tried removing the RAM and M.2 one by one. No luck. Two lights on the NUC. One next to the Power Button. And the other at the ethernet port. The CPU fan turns on, and it's clean now.

Is there a point in trying the mini DisplayPort? Gotta find a cable.

Is this past the point of any recovery? Can I reset BIOS somehow and would that help get video back?

Thank you,

CM.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Let me be clear: If you power on with no memory installed, you should see three flashes on the power LED. If you are not seeing this, then the board has failed.

In this case, after verifying that your warranty is still active (here: Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty), you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through this forum). Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local phone numbers, by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

As you press the power button to power on, what is the Power LED doing? That "Memory Size Decreased" message is an indication that something has happened in the memory path. This could be a failure in a SODIMM, a failure in the memory controllers of the processor or a failure in the memory buses on the motherboard. 

Establish a baseline first. Remove both SODIMMS and power on, You should see the three flashes of the Power LED. Place a SODIMM in one socket and power on then. If the LED continues the flash pattern, move this SODIMM to the other socket and power on then. If this also results in the flash pattern, repeat using the the other SODIMM.

BTW, this type if failure can result in seeing no video initialization, so that is consistent.

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Scott and thank you so much for replying!

Power LED is OFF the entire time the NUC is ON (only two LEDs are on, one by the Power button and one at the Ethernet port)

As mentioned in my original message, I've removed the RAM (one stick) and M.2, one at the time and powered on to see if at least POWER LED comes alive. No luck. ALL this after I lost video. Because the message pointing to the RAM only showed up when it failed to update BIOS.

CM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Let me be clear: If you power on with no memory installed, you should see three flashes on the power LED. If you are not seeing this, then the board has failed.

In this case, after verifying that your warranty is still active (here: Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty), you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through this forum). Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local phone numbers, by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Prior to posting on this forum I chatted with Intel and they confirmed my NUC was out of warranty. And they don't repair NUCs this old(?!).

I've purchased a similar (used/for parts) unit to try get mine back in business. Best case scenario I can use the  board as is. Worst case scenario I scanvance the BIOS IC.

I'll get it working!! Thanks for your help.

CM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Actually, they don't repair NUCs regardless of age.

...S

0 Kudos