Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC6i5SYH BIOS settings Boot Devices -> Network Boot: [Disabled] and Intel Platform Trust Technology [Enabled] causes Windows 7-64 to hang while loading.

Approximately 10% of NUC6i5SYH's will hang at the Windows 7 loading graphic animation if Network Boot (PXE) is disabled AND Trust Technology is enabled.

BIOS version 57 and 61 have been tried without any change.

All Win 7's were installed via a PXE image. This should not make any difference though.

If both PXE and Trust Technology is enabled, there is no problem. Likewise, both off/disabled causes no problem.

Currently it is not an operational issue but a solution would be nice if anyone has suggestions.

Current workaround settings for those failing NUC's are shown below.

Thanks, Colin.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Colin_Fiat: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

Normally we recommend to use the NUC with BUIOS default settings, so just to confirm, is there any reason why you need to disable Network Boot PXE and enable Intel® Platform Trust Technology?

You mentioned you install BIOS version 0057 and the problem is the same, just for testing purposes, please install BIOS versions 0059 and 0060 and let us know the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26731/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89190 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26731/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89190

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26681/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89190 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26681/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89190

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

Intel® Platform Trust Technology has been enabled to enhance the performance of BitLocker. Currently no NUC's have had BitLocker activated; this will occur later, on a per unit requirement basis.

Disabling PXE Boot is potentially overkill as there are ISE restrictions and domain limitations, but with 4000 units in the field, some accessible to the general public, you never can tell. Having only 80 of this model with a different BIOS configuration to the other thousands is annoying.

I'll try with those other BIOS versions during next week and let you know.

As a side note, did you know that a NUC6i5SYH will freeze if Wake System from S5 is checked, Recurrence set to Daily, the Wakeup Hour set to 8 and then Native ACPI OS PCIe Support is checked? If none of these items have been set, the sequence will lock the keyboard and mouse. Sometimes ALT-CTRL-DEL will work. (Also seen when checking Intel Ready Mode Technology but, due to being really annoying, I've not tested with any other checkboxes.)

Colin.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Colin_Fiat: Thank you very much for providing that information and for the picture.

Perfect, tried those BIOS versions and once you get the chance please let us know the results.

In regard to the side note, I will do further research on this matter, and as soon I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

Bios 59 and 60 were installed but the same result - Windows stays on the loading logo forever.

Also, the mouse/keyboard hang still occurred with these two versions after changing the wakeup minute and then checking Native ACPI OS PCIe Support.

Colin.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Colin_Fiat: I just wanted to let you know that I tried to replicate the issue in our lab, these are the steps I tried:

1. Made a fresh Windows 7 64-bit installation in a NUC6i5SYH with BIOS version 0054.
  2. System started normally. Tried with factory settings. Tried with Network Boot disabled and the Intel Platform Trust Technology enabled.
  3. Restarted and shut the computer down a few times and everything was fine.
  4. During the 4th restart, it started with the Windows Error Recovery.
  5. Launched the Startup Repair tool as recommended by the system.
  6. Startup Repair couldn't repair the system.
  7. Keyboard and mouse drivers were deactivated during this process so it was not possible to view the details.
  8. Updated BIOS to 0061.
  9. Tested the system in the same way but there were no error this time. Restarted and shut the computer down about 10 times each, but there wasn't any problem.

Based on those results it seems to be there could be a problem with the NUC itself. Now, this problem, is it happening on 80 NUCs or just in one of them?

In regard to the side note, just to confirm, this behavior is showing on both BIOS versions 59 and 60 as well or just in one of them?

Regards

Alberto R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks Alberto,

Yeah, that problem with no USB 3 drivers in Windows 7 is annoying. Sometimes, if I am lucky, there's an auto 30 second countdown after a successful recovery repair which restarts. Only seen it a few times though.

Looking closer at logs and notes, during BIOS change first days, about 16 of the 200 NUC's locked at the startup logo. Based on this, the worst case for this model in the field will be 60 affected NUC's.

A quick check on a few NUC6i5SYH shows they have 0057. I have not tested with 0054.

However, as I mentioned, disabling PXE is not a problem due to it being security overkill and the extremely minimal chance of someone actually being able to network boot.

BIOS v60 does hang mouse and keyboard when changing from hour/minute to checkbox. I'll have to get back to you on v59.

Brace yourself, D54250WYK with BIOS v0035 will hang mouse and keyboard when minutes are changed and then Native ACPI is checked on.

Colin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Colin_Fiat: You are welcome. Thank you very much for providing those results.

Perfect, once you get the chance, please test the NUC with BIOS 0054 and 0059 and let us know the results.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Alberto, a quick update for you. When BIOS setting changes were continued, a higher rate of Windows Logo Hang was found than expected. A decision has been made to set all NUC models and BIOS versions to allow PXE boot with Trust Technology enabled.

Perhaps the next round of BIOS updates will not cause this problem with Windows. But, in the mean time, we will use the settings which work for all machines.

Thanks for your responses,

Colin.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Colin_Fiat: Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

We are glad to hear those settings worked for all the machines. Just to let you know, I will send your comments to the proper department for them to take it under consideration and hopefully to include the fix on a possible future BIOS release.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos