Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LHerr6
Beginner

NUC6i5SYH Doesn't boot, led is turned off but the fans are on.

There also no beeps coming from the audio jack, and three button method to update BIOS doesn't seem to work (there's no beep and it just shuts down).

The USB ports do seem to have power (I can connect a USB fan and it turns on).

I've already tried with another brand new SSD and nothing changes. Same with a bootable USB.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Lincolnhn,

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC community.

I would like to check a couple of things;

• Is this a brand new unit?
  • Could you please let me know what is the RAM brand and model that you are using?

Regards,

Amy.

LHerr6
Beginner

I bought the unit 8 months ago.

The memory: HyperX Impact 2x4GB 2133MHz (HX421S13IBK2/8).

I've tried turning it on after removing one memory stick, and then tried it again switching it with the other memory stick.

It has the 0059 BIOS. Also, I forgot: the fans turn on as soon as I plug the unit, without me needing to push the power button.

LHerr6
Beginner

Update: trying to get the 3 second beep to appear for a while, now the fans only turn on when i push the power button, not when i plug it. Also, tried the memory thing (trying only one stick at a time in one slot) but with the upper slot (I did it with the lower slot the first time). Nothing.

idata
Community Manager

/thread/113705 Lincolnhn, thanks for the update.

Please try to do a BIOS recovery to the latest version available which is 0060. Here is the file; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26731/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89190 Download BIOS Update [SYSKLi35.86A], and here the steps for the update; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005532.html BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC. You can also try to clear the CMOS battery, see the instructions here; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000006787.html CMOS Battery on Intel® NUC.

Please share the results.

Regards,

Amy.

LHerr6
Beginner

It finally booted once, but there was no beep after three seconds, so I couldn't try the power button BIOS recovery method. Then, after the initial Intel screen, it showed "Me Fw Downgrade - Request MespiLOCK Failed" for half a minute, then booted normally after that.

I've tried to update the BIOS by security jumper, but after following the instructions and waiting 5 minutes, nothing happens (there's no LED blinks like in a normal BIOS update). I will keep trying though. I haven't tried the CMOS thing, will report back shortly.

LHerr6
Beginner

Just to be clear (I'm a little nervous about that CMOS battery clear), the instructions linked are for a battery removal, I have to follow just to step 5 and plug again the cables right?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You want to (1) unplug the NUC's A/C power, (2) remove the board from the chassis, (3) unplug the cable for the battery, (4) wait 15 minutes, (5) plug the cable for the battery back in, (6) restore the board to the chassis (use two screws removed previously to lock down) and (7) connect external cables and power system back on.

The message you say indicated that an attempt to downgrade the Intel Management Engine firmware was taking place. You are supposed to be using the Recovery Method to install the latest available BIOS, not any previous version.

Hope this helps,

...S

LHerr6
Beginner

Thanks! The error appeared before I could try to update the BIOS from 059 to 060, I didn't do anything but start it and the error appeared (I was trying the three second button recover and the beep-menu didn't appear). Any ideas?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Try the method using the physical jumper.

LHerr6
Beginner

I cleared the CMOS battery, and nothing changed. I've been trying to update the BIOS with the jumper method, but it doesn't seem to boot, the led stays off, fans on, I wait the 5 minutes and try again, been all morning at it.

idata
Community Manager

/thread/113705 Lincolnhn, I am sorry to hear these two methods did not help to address the no boot issue. At stage, the next step is to replace the unit and for that purpose please use one of the options below;

Regards,

Amy.

idata
Community Manager

/thread/113705 Lincolnhn, I just wanted to check on your thread, and confirm if you were able to replace the unit.

Regards,

Amy.