Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swilc2
Beginner

NUC6i5SYH SSD not found after removal and re-installetion of HDD

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone can help.

I bought a NUC6i5SYH last November as a ready to run computer, with SSD, HDD, RAM, and windows 10 pro installed.

the computer has been working perfectly (apart from the loud fan) until around a month ago when I removed the HDD.

I started the computer once without the HDD installed, after I re-installed the HDD the BIOS doesn't recognise the SDD anymore (not populated) only the HDD and therefore the computer can't BOOT.

I contacted the seller who informed me that I had invalidated the warranty as I'd opened the computer but they would repair at a cost.

I let the IT team in my company look at the NUC but they couldn't fix the problem either even after installing the latest BIOS and think it could be a hardware problem.

After reading the threads here I'm not so sure it's hardware related as there seems to be a lot of problems with the BIOS and the SDD.

I have tried everything I can think of and also a lot of the suggestions in the other threads here :- checked that SATA SMART is ticked, PCI devices M2 is ticked, BOOT is set to RAID, disconnected the CMOS battery for a few minutes. I also tried to BOOT with internal UEFI shell ticked in the BOOT configuration. Nothing works, I would be very grateful if someone could help, as I don't want to scrap the computer.

Shaunw

0 Kudos
10 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

When you remove the HDD, is the SSD recognized again?

Check if the screw which is holding the SSD in place, is fastened.

Leon

swilc2
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Thanks for the quick answer.

No the SDD is still not recognised when I remove the HDD again.

I have checked the SDD it's correctly installed and the screw is fastened

Shaun

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Shaun,

Please enter your bios setting (press F2 after you are powering ON your NUC).

Then while in Bios settings, press F9 (followed by Y),to set bios to default settings.

Now press F10 confirmed by Y, to save the default settings and exit bios.

Leon

swilc2
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Tried what you suggested, unfortunately it didn't help.

After the procedure I removed the HDd again to see if the the BIOS could find the SSD but it still states that the M.2 is not populated.

Shaun

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello Shaun,

In order to verify if the problem is with your SSD or your NUC:

1. Can you check your SSD in other computer (in some laptop for example if you have one with M2 slot)?

2. Can you check other SSD from other computer in your NUC?

Leon

swilc2
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Unfortuntaly I don't have another SSD or another computer with an M.2 slot, I will buy a new SSD and let you know if it works.

Shaun

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Shaun,

It may be to riski to buy a new SSD, since we don't know if problem is caused by failed SSD or may be M2 slot in the NUC has failed. I think that better is to verify before you buy new SSD that the one you have, failed.

Regards

Leon

swilc2
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Sorry for the late reply I've been very busy with buisiness trips and so on.

I bought a case to make the SSD an external drive and tested it on three computers with different windows versions, win 7 & 8 found the drive but according to the properties it was full, win 10 found the drive but stated no volumn installed, so pretty obvious that the SSD had failed.

Bought a new SSD (western digital green 120GB) after checking which SSD's had been tested with the NUC, after installation checked in bios, disk was found in the M2 slot.

Installed windows from a boot USB stick, but made the mistake of performing a backup from the old SSD which removed the boot function of the SSD.

So I formatted the SSD and re-installed windows everything now works as as it should although the disk size is shown as 111GB and not 120GB must be a hidden partion that I couldn't find.

The fan is still noisy, I have seen there is way to correct this via the bios, do you think this is a good idea ref CPU overheating?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Best regards

Shaun

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Shaun,

The NUC6i5SYH blower shall be quiet. In idle you shall almost not hearing it. Yes I agree with you, you shall check the temperatures. You may download Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and check the temperatures. You also may use tool like HWiNFO64: https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php and get more information of your NUC hardware condition.

Leon

swilc2
Beginner

Hi Leon,

My blower is on all the time, no idle. Thanks for the links I will try both of them.

Best regards

Shaun