cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RFry
New Contributor I

NUC6i5SYH - Sudden Power Off

Jump to solution

Has anyone else experienced their NUC suddenly powering off, or maybe restarting, randomly?

I have had a couple of occasion whilst watching a film that the NUC just powers off. I checked the NUC when it happened and it was cool to the touch as per normal. I powered on and went into the BIOS and the temperature was 40 degrees - so does not seem to be heat related. I have my NUC configured to Stay Off on power failure hence why I asked about random reboots as well as this is how it might appear for some users.

No other equipment in the house experienced power loss - not even a UPS that starts beeping when one occurs - so it does not look to be that - maybe the NUC is more sensitive to power fluctuations, not sure what Power Sense does in the BIOS.

Windows 10 event viewer does not show any entries before the power off and only entries afterwards when I power the NUC on - the usual entries about not being properly shut down.

I am running BIOS39 but according to event viewer could have also occurred on dates when I was running BIOS36

Has anyone else experienced this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RFry
New Contributor I

I have not seen this issue again yet - AFAIK the only change I have made was to disable Round Trip Memory Optimisation in the BIOS.

View solution in original post

24 Replies
RRako
New Contributor I

Strange! I also wanna know what Power Sense really do....maybe dislabling Power Sense can also help to people with WHEA....But random restart....that's new issue

JPols1
New Contributor II

For what I know, the "PowerSense" option, when active, should monitor the total power consumption of the NUC, if it is more than 65W, this option sends a PROCHOT# (Processor Hot) signal to the CPU that immediately starts to activate the Thermal Control Circuit (the same as if the processor has reached a maximum safe operating temperature). This is for safeguarding the external AC/DC adapter that shutdown itself, as a security measure, when it reach the 65W power limit.

I think that for our NUC it is best to leave it enabled.

I think it should be turned off only in case someone have installed something in the NUC that drain more power (total consumption more than 65W) and that at the same time is using an aftermarket external adapter...

SKell7
New Contributor III

No, I think you'd want it on *especially* if you're using an aftermarket power supply. My guess is the option got introduced precisely for those (if you buy a board only e.g.). The "power sense", as I understand it, will not monitor a certain power level (like 65W) but instead detect when the power supply goes into brown out, that is drops voltage because it's overloaded and then causes the CPU to throttle via # PROCHOT (which is a bi-directional signal line).

WIth Intel's supplied power supply you will probably not be able to overload it. The max. sustained power limit (PL1) for the i5 is 23W. Even if you add other peripherals (DRAM, USB etc.) I don't think you will even come near 65W.

JPols1
New Contributor II

I now have found also this ,it seems to monitor the power consumption of the NUC as I have said.

aybe we have to attend a gentle reply of N. Scott Pearson that can resolve this "mistery"....

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, that's a possibility as well...

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You may also be running into overheating issues. You might want to look closely at the temperatures that are occurring while you are watching your films. If the temperature is going up above ~90°C, you may want to lower the temperature setpoints in the cooling settings in BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS)...

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hi all,

Thanks guys for the information provide. Fryrpc, please let us know if the issue persist with the BIOS version 0039, the BIOS version 0036 used to present that issue that was fixed on 0039, also keep in mind that your NUC's RAM has to be DDR4-2133 1.2V.

In this document you can see the new fixes / features for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH, BIOS version 0039

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25864/eng/SY_0039_ReleaseNotes.pdf https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25864/eng/SY_0039_ReleaseNotes.pdf

Regards,

Hellen.

d-
Beginner

Hi all,

Just installed a new NUC6I5SYH here with:

- 8Gb RAM

- 256Gb M.2 SSD

- 1Tb WD RED Hard disk

This machine is for office use only, not running any heavy stuff.

The original BIOS was quite unstable and I was unable to boot 50% of the time.

Then I upgraded to 0039 and now I have this power-cut issue too.

I will check that in a few hours and will try to

- reset the bios

- disable power sense

- disable watchdog

I'll let you know if it's better

MAREL
Beginner

Please increase cooling on bios as well. Coolness is better than silence

d-
Beginner

I did not touch the cooling parameters.

If by default the cooling system is crashing the machine I would say there is something wrong

RRako
New Contributor I

You are on BIOS 0039, that's good. I don't think that these random restarts are caused by any heating. This is something different. -> check Event Log regarding Warning and Error messages, maybe it's only SW-related issue...

d-
Beginner

I had a look but the only critical message found was that the system recovered from an unexpected shutdown which can be caused by a power cut or something similar. Nothing else. I just changed the bios param now, we will see it if it's better

RRako
New Contributor I

And what brand of RAM do you use? Kingston ?

d-
Beginner

Yep,

Kingston ValueRAM (1x, 8Go, DDR4-2133, SO-DIMM 260 pin)

RRako
New Contributor I

So if everything is in default (BIOS), BIOS is 0039, and nothing in event logs, there;s only 1 last chance - to reinstall Windows and see...if still bad -> RMA

d-
Beginner

huh, the machine is brand new and the windows 3 days old :-/

If the machine crash again, I'll check on the electricity side too as it's plugged on a multi-multi-socket installation, there is maybe something on that side.

Or even try with another power supply from a laptop.

MPeal
New Contributor I

Yes, I am experiencing exactly the same issue. Power up from cold, runs for around 10 minutes and the restarts to a black screen. Y or N options. Will reboot and the operates without problems.

I have returned mine for replacement. Issue only started after BIOS 0039. No obvious solution. Tried BIOS recovery option. Still no good. Intel have an issue with this unit.

d-
Beginner

Hmmm weird, exactly the same on my side !

It's always around 10 minutes after the startup !

Then the machine stays on for a few hours and crash again later.

Did you disable some stuffs in the BIOS ? like bluetooth or wifi ?

MPeal
New Contributor I

There is some more advice in this forum. Look for "Random Restarts"

They are recommending disabling "fail-safe watchdog" in the boot configuration menu. Also disabling fast boot in windows.

http://www.windows10update.com/2015/05/windows-10-tutorials-66-how-to-enable-or-disable-fast-startup... http://www.windows10update.com/2015/05/windows-10-tutorials-66-how-to-enable-or-disable-fast-startup...

Cannot check if these suggestions work as I have returned my unit for replacement.

RFry
New Contributor I

I have not seen this issue again yet - AFAIK the only change I have made was to disable Round Trip Memory Optimisation in the BIOS.

View solution in original post