cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC6i5SYH lost M.2 drive and doesn't boot Windows 10 from any other drive

Hi all,

I used my NUC 6 for half a year without any problems. I recently updated all software using the Windows Intel application, but after several reboots de NUC doesn't recognize the M.2 drive where the Windows installation is on anymore. Bios v44 it is (SY0044.bio).

First I tried to get it back to operation doing:

• Tried to turn M.2 off and back on in BIOS, saving and booting every time in between.
  • BIOS recovery.
  • Back to factory defaults using F9 and saving the changes with F10.
  • Clearing CMOS seems not to be successful. I tried all jumper configs: 1-2, 2-3 and disconnected. The date and time where not reset, so I guess CMOS was not cleared. Not sure if it is really needed.
  • Forcing it to boot from M.2 only results in the same message that no bootable media have been found.

Then I tried to boot from other devices:

• USB flash drive works with Acronis True Image.
  • Using Acronis, I put back the most recent Windows 10 install 2 days before the software updates which made the problems to start. Put it on 2 external USB drives.
  • In F10 Boot menu chose to boot from external drive(s), but it kept saying "Boot configuration data is missing".
  • This procedure did not woth with older installations either.

The screen which Windows Boot Manager repeatedly gave me is attached, saying: 'Windows failed to start. A recent software or hardware change might be the cause. [...] The boot configuration data of your pc is missing or contains errors.'

Besides the booting I thought it would be handy to check if the M.2 drive could be seen in the BIOS after all. So I went to the BIOS update app with only the M.2 drive connected. No drive was seen at all most of the times, but sometimes it was?!

So, I am lost after many more steps and tests I can't even remember. I think either the NUC should be replaced or the M.2. But I think the NUC, because overall OS boot fails.

Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Dennis

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

can you try your m.2 ssd in another device/notebook? perhaps a friend's?

I see you have an SYH, do you have a disk in the internal 2.5'' slot and tried acronis recovery to that and boot?

see, I suspect your m.2 ssd, the above would rule that out.

trying to boot from external usb thumb drive should work, (after all it does boot the acronis env). So i guess the NUC is OK.

However booting the machine from external USB disks with an acronis recovered windows on it is not guaranteed to work at all.

Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Hegenious.

Thank you for your reply!

I cannot try the m.2 in another system, because I have no second and I don't know any friend who has a system to try with. But, I took a 2.5", put the image on that, used BCD repair (Command line of Windows Repair Disk) and voila, the system booted in all it's glory.

So it seems to be a combined problem. The M.2 is not ok yet, as it sometimes shows up as a 32kb uninitialised drive which cannot be initialised (errors errors) and sometimes it doesn't pop up at all. So I ordered a new 512GB m.2 to see if it's the drive or the NUC which gives me the headaches. The current m.2 is an ADATA Premier Pro SP900 of 256GB recognised by the BIOS and Windows as 'SandForce{200026BB}'.

TBC!

Dennis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi okijk,

I double checked the picture and the error belongs to the operating system; It is not capable to start. I suggest you to try to repair OS using a bootable USB drive or original DVD.

As a workaround verify the following BIOS settings:

BIOS>Advanced>Devices>SATA: Verified if M.2 SATA recognizes your drive.

Chipset SATA mode is set as AHCI or RAID (default is AHCI)

BIOS>Advanced>Boot>Boot Priority: UEFI and Legacy Boot: enable both

Save changes with F10.

Let me know the results.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Mike,

The boot problem was solved with a Windows 10 repair disc indeed.

Further more, a new M.2 drive solved the problem. The NUC was fine, the Adata M.2 was broken.

Thank you all!

Dennis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Hi okijk,

I am glad your system is working properly now.

Mike C
0 Kudos