Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC6i5SYK, Windows Home 10 crashed, not able to boot off anything on updated BIOS 0045, need help

Jump to solution

Specs:

NUC6i5SYK

Samsung 850 EVO m.2 SSD 250GB

HyperX Impact DDR4 2133 16GB RAM (8x2)

Windows 10 Home

BIOS 0028 (upgraded to 0045)

Computer was set up for my parents. Windows 10 crashed, no Windows recovery disk/USB drive to be found, and it wouldn't boot. The Intel NUC screen would come up, the circle would rotate once, then the system would lock up.

Was able to F2/F7/F10 – the HD wasn't showing in Virtual Bios. Saw BIOS was 0028, so I USB flashed 0045 on, and with it the HD is now showing. Set to default settings and saved.

After installing 0045, attempted to boot again off HD. NUC screen comes up, circle rotates, then NUC resets and starts the process again. And again. No booting, just the screen then reset.

Put in Windows 10 Home install USB stick and tried to boot off everything on F7 screen. Attempts to boot off Windows install USB stick show "Loading Files" for a fresh install, but then NUC resets and goes back to screen with rotating circle and no booting. One F7 install USB stick attempt brought be to the Windows Boot Manager screen stating that the winload.efi file was missing or containing errors.

So I'm currently at 0045 BIOS on default settings, and not able to boot off anything on system. What can I do to fix the booting from Virtual Bios? Is my HD toast?

Need help for the parents, they want the computer back working. Thank you!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hi PJK1,

I read the NUC was on BIOS 0028 when the problems started.

There have been many many problems (and posts on this board) with the NUC6i5 voltage regulation circuitry overstress.

After running fine for days, weeks or months, your NUC may start exhibiting the symptoms you describe: running wheel, reset, boot from other media, reset etc.

It encountered a fatal bugcheck that can't be resolved.

In short, the NUC is now dead.

Finally, BIOS 0042 fixed the whole issue, and at the time Intel urged everyone to upgrade ASAP their running NUC's BIOS version.

Very unfortunately, once the issue you describe has already occurred, upgrading the BIOS to 0042 (or above) won't fix the issue. Some circuit component is degraded beyond repair.

Search for 'WHEA' will give you countless posts of users with the same problem. I guess that like me and others you didn't come across this board until after your NUC died.

The good thing, if one can call it that, is that Intel fully acknowledges and has documented the issue, and are willing to replace units with this issue.

Good luck,

hegenious

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hi PJK1,

I read the NUC was on BIOS 0028 when the problems started.

There have been many many problems (and posts on this board) with the NUC6i5 voltage regulation circuitry overstress.

After running fine for days, weeks or months, your NUC may start exhibiting the symptoms you describe: running wheel, reset, boot from other media, reset etc.

It encountered a fatal bugcheck that can't be resolved.

In short, the NUC is now dead.

Finally, BIOS 0042 fixed the whole issue, and at the time Intel urged everyone to upgrade ASAP their running NUC's BIOS version.

Very unfortunately, once the issue you describe has already occurred, upgrading the BIOS to 0042 (or above) won't fix the issue. Some circuit component is degraded beyond repair.

Search for 'WHEA' will give you countless posts of users with the same problem. I guess that like me and others you didn't come across this board until after your NUC died.

The good thing, if one can call it that, is that Intel fully acknowledges and has documented the issue, and are willing to replace units with this issue.

Good luck,

hegenious

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hello PJK1

1.Try to burn 0045 BIOS using full recovery method (i.e. remove BIOS security jumper for BIOS update and replace back it after update). The complete procedure you will find under the following link: http://nucblog.net/2016/05/skylake-nuc-bios-44-recovery-is-needed/ Skylake NUC BIOS 44 Unleashes NVME SSDs But BIOS Recovery Is Needed - The NUC Blog 2

2. If still the Windows will crash, you can try to restore Windows to early saved point or to refresh Windows. The procedure how to do it you will find here:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html?filter[1]=Backup Restore

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi PJK1,

Please let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for the information! Sorry I didn't get back here to reply to everyone.

I did a search for WHEA and it read like a what's what of some things my father has mentioned. Opted to straight away call Customer Service and sent the NUC in for warranty replacement.

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi PJK1,

Thanks for the update, great to know that you are now waiting for a new unit; please let me know, if there is something else I could do for you.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos