cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC6i5syk BIOS does not update

Jump to solution

My NUC6i5syk will not update the BIOS. I am currently on 0028 and trying to move to 0039. I am using the F7 method.

After hitting F7 and updating the media, I select my thumb drive, then select the file. I then press enter to start the process. At this point my monitor goes to sleep mode and my NUC slow flashes an orange blinking light. I have let it sit there for over an hour and nothing happens. I finally give up, power the machine off. When I start it back up it tells me something went wrong with the BIOS and that I can revert back to the previous version (0028). Then everything works again, but the BIOS remains on 0028.

I am running Linux so I am not able to use the windows method for updating the BIOS.

Is my unit defective?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

I had the same problem with the same symptoms as you.

I tried 3 different USB drives with no success.

How I solved it:

Put the .BIO file somewhere on your local hard disk, instead of a Pen drive.

Enter BIOS, press F7 from within BIOS, then browse to the .BIO file on the hard disk.

The update should now work perfectly.

Good luck,

heg

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello lothar,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

In this case I suggest updating to BIOS version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25696/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A- 0033 first and then https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25822/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A- 0036 and last https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25864/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A- 0039.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005850.html F7 BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Please let me know if that works for you.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

@lothar,

have you tried another usb pendrive? sometimes it can help. Check that the pendrive is formatted with FAT32.

@Ivan.

the bios 0033 isn't downloadable anymore, so what to do? for doing the update from 0028 is needed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Yes, I'm sorry; in that case he will need to jump to BIOS version 0036.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

I had the same problem with the same symptoms as you.

I tried 3 different USB drives with no success.

How I solved it:

Put the .BIO file somewhere on your local hard disk, instead of a Pen drive.

Enter BIOS, press F7 from within BIOS, then browse to the .BIO file on the hard disk.

The update should now work perfectly.

Good luck,

heg

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing with us how you were able to update the BIOS, I hope this can help others to solve this kind of problems.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Thank you Ivan,

the problem seems to be that the BIOS updating with a USB stick is hit or miss for some users, depending on the stick.

The HDD method just works, but requires an OS to be installed in the first place so not appropriate for users that want to do the BIOS update out of the box.

lothar, any success?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks for the information hegenious, with this unit you should be able to update the BIOS with the F7 method with no problem, I have updated the BIOS using the F7 method and it worked without any issues.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for the replies, I was able to update my BIOS to 0039 using hegenious's solution. I first tried other thumb drives but no luck. I then tried the hard drive trick and it worked.

I am using Linux Mint 17.3 (XFCE) and the only directory on the hard drive available to me was EFI. (path is /boot/efi/EFI) I placed the files there and did the F7 update. worked like a charm. Note that you need to have root access to copy files into that directory, I just opened a terminal and did sudo thunar.

Hope this helps others too!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I also had a problem to flash the new bios with F7 at the menu at the left top corner at the screen (which you will get after ~3sec. pressing the power), but with F7 inside the BIOS it works without any problem…

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hi lothar,

I'm happy to see that you resolved the issue by following my tip.

And thanks for expanding the solution to the Linux Platform, much appreciated.

Me too, I hope it helps others

@Intel, is it possible that you add this 100% working solution to your knowledge base. The solution works on Windows as well as Linux.

Thanks.

heg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback and your collaboration on this thread is very much appreciated.

All this will be taken into consideration hegenious.

Thank you,

Ivan

0 Kudos