Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bandito
Beginner

NUC6i7KYK Blank Screen

Prior to this, I had never had any issues with graphics on my NUC61KYK. However, about a month ago, I started getting intermittent, momentary blanks screens on my NUC6i7KYK. It got progressively worse since then and is not to the point where the screen is blank constantly and the monitor input receives no HDMI input and goes in to power saving mode. I have tried installing every Iris Pro 580 graphics driver going back to 6519 up to and including Beta driver 8691. I have also let the Intel Driver & Support Assistant choose and install the driver. I contacted chat support and let the support agent remotely connect to my computer. They attempted to installed driver 8141. I have tried two different monitors: Samsung S27R350FHN and Samsung S27F352FHN both using HDMI ports. I also tried a complete OS re-installation. Nothing has been successful in resolving the issue.

All of this being said, the monitor works fine when I am in BIOS UEFI, Windows Safe Mode or if I uninstall the graphics driver via Device Manager and run things with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver. After the chat support agent attempted their fixes, they said the NUC needs to be replaced, I assume because of a hardware issue. My question is, can this be true if the NUC still works when in Safe Mode or with the basic Windows display driver? Can this be a hardware issue or is it a driver issue?

I am attaching the SSU and report from the IDSA but keep in mind these were run with only the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter running as that is the only way to see the monitor to run these.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Bandito

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding your concerns, it is correct that this could be a hardware problem even when the Intel® NUC seems to work fine without the graphics driver or when running in Windows® safe mode.

This does not seem to be a driver issue since we would have had a lot of reports of this issue, which is not the case. Also, we have several Intel NUCs on our lab and we have not experience this issue neither with different driver versions nor with different displays.

Most important, it does not seem to be a driver issue since you mentioned that you have tested all drivers from the oldest one avaiable 25.20.100.6519 up to the latest one 27.20.100.8587 and including the BETA driver 27.20.100.8691. Very unlikely that an issue will expand through 24 different driver versions.

In addition, a driver issue in the older versions would be observed ealier before and not after several months (or years) from their released date.

However, just to exhaust all options and tests, since you are already running the Microsoft® Basic Display Adapter, you may try letting Windows® to install a different driver by upating it from Windows® Device Manager:

1. Right-click Windows Start icon
  2. Click on Open Device Manager
  3. Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  4. Expand the Display adapters section.
  5. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  6. Click on "Search automatically for drivers".

Chances are that this could be an Operating Sytem (OS) issue (we see regular "new issues" being triggered with new OS updates), a NUC <--> Display compatibility issue, a cable issue or a hardware issue.

We understand that you have reinstalled the OS. Did you install the same version and build number that you were running? Did you try a rollback to a previous Windows® version? (Maybe a Windows® version when the Intel® NUC was working fine). Also make sure you test using different (high-quality) HDMI® cables just to rule out cable problems.

Since you already has the latest BIOS 0068, one more step you can give it a try is a BIOS Recovery following the steps on this link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005636/intel-nuc.html

There is the possibility of compatibility issue with display, but we understand that you have already tested 2 different displays, so this is less likely to be the issue, but still a possibility. If you have the availability to test additional displays it would worth the try.

It is worth mentioning that the Microsoft® Basic Display Adapter does not enable all the features and hardware capabilities of the integrated graphics unit (iGPU), so it is possible when installing a graphics driver, a hardware issue is being triggered that is not observed when runing the Microsoft® Basic Display Adapter, in the BIOS or in Windows Safe mode, hence, why (after all the troubleshooting and tests) the recommendation provided was to replace the NUC because this was pointing out to a hardware issue.

You may also test the processor with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. Its purpose is to verify the functionality of an Intel® microprocessor:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

However, if the issue persists, our recommendation is the previously one provided about replacing the device and checking with your place of purchase for options available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I had a situation similar to this (though with NUC7i7BNH NUC). I found that, if I used IGCC to change the refresh rate from 60Hz down to 30Hz, I could eliminate the blanking (which was the connection between the source and monitor being reset, which takes ~2 seconds). Not happy with operation at 30Hz, I subsequently found, through trial and error, that one of my HDMI cables was responsible. I think it was as a result of stress on the cable's connectors as I connected and disconnected the various NUCs I was testing.

Hope this helps,

...S

Bandito
Beginner

Thank you, Scott, for your reply. I will give this a shot to exhaust all possibilities.

Bandito
Beginner

Downgraded BIOS (BIOS Recovery) to BIOS 0067, let Windows automatically search for and install driver (it chose 8141), tested 6 other HDMI cables and a third monitor (HP Pavilion 27xw). None of this resolved anything.

Scott, regarding the lowering of the refresh rate to 30Hz, I am not sure how I can do that if I cannot see the screen at all to adjust the settings in IGCC. Is there some way to do that manually?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Are you saying that the screen is staying blank all the time or that the rate of the flashing blank screens is too high to accomplish anything? [Aside: talk about a sentence that says it all!]

I know of no way to do this. Maybe Intel Customer Support (@Bryce_Intel?) can talk to the driver team and figure out a way to do this programmatically?

...S

Bandito
Beginner

When the issue started, it was intermittent. However, it has reached the point that it is now blank all the time. This further suggests to me that it is a hardware issue. My theory is the iGPU was slowly dying (the initial "flickering") and finally went out completely (the current completely blank screen).

I wasn't sure if it was mechanically/electrically possible for the iGPU to go bad without the entire chip going bad. From Andrew's response, it sounds like that is a possibility. After troubleshooting and narrowing down all possibilities, I am more and more convinced it is a hardware failure.

Bandito
Beginner

Thank you, Andrew, for the detailed and in depth reply.

Regarding the OS, I am not sure I can go back to a previous version since I am only able to download the most current version from the Microsoft website. Is there someplace I can download and create a USB bootable installation media with older versions of Windows? Regardless, the NUC was working for about a week with the currently installed version of Windows.

I will try letting Windows install whatever driver it wants via the Device Manager but I suspect it will end up installing at least one of the drivers I had previously installed since I installed every driver I could download.

I will attempt the bios recovery and check the HDMI cable.

Thanks again for your help. I just want to exhaust all possibilities before I go out and buy a new computer.

Howells
Beginner

Im trying to install arch from a usb stick made with roofus on windows 10 with the latest arch iso. get the grub menu, then it very very quickly flashes some text in the top left that I can't read before it disappears and then I get a black screen.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Bandito

Thank you for your response.

If I may offer input here (regarding your inquiry about how to download and create a USB bootable installation media with older versions of Windows), if you do not have an older ISO image saved to test a clean install with a previous Windows® version, it seems that in order to do this you would need to have a subscription to Microsoft® Volume Licensing Service Center.

Windows® Licensing is out of our scope and our recommendation would be to check further with Microsoft® Support for options available. However, you may try a third-party tool to download and create the bootable USB following the steps in the below link*. I just checked it and it provides the option to download and choose older versions of Windows:

https://pureinfotech.com/download-windows-10-1909-iso-after-2004-releases/

We also agree that this is pointing out to a hardware issue, but since we are trying to exhaust all possibilities, it doesn't hurt to try it.

Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel®. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® for the merchants or services offered there.

We will also check the n_scott_pearson's concern to see if there is the option for changing refresh rate programmatically, but we cannot promise anything at this point.

Please feel free to share any feedback about the outcome of the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Howells

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

It seems that you are reporting another issue. To better assist you, our recommendation is that you post another question (creating a new thread). This will allow us to focus on one issue at the time. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi Bandito,

After reading your issue description and everything you have done with no success so far, my opinion is that this issue probably goes beyond driver installation or troubleshooting so if the product is still under warranty I would recommend that you reach out to our Support Service via Phone or Chat and request a warranty replacement. I am guessing the hardware Graphics subsystem is defective and when you load the graphics drivers the GPU is placed under significant load and then the system experiences the issue that you described.

Here is our "contact us" information for your reference: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@7

Regards,

Ronny G

Bandito
Beginner

Hello All

Just to follow up, I was able to do a clean install of an earlier version of Windows (version 1909) and installed every version of drivers I had. The issue still persists. If anyone has any further suggestions or recommendations, I would appreciate them.

Unfortunately, the NUC is out of the warranty period by a good 10 months. So, I guess I am left with a tiny boat anchor. It is unfortunate because my NUC6i5SYH is still going strong and has been stressed more than this NUC over the years. I have been a NUC supporter and promoter since the day they came out. Perhaps I was mistaken.

Thank you again to all who replied and offered suggestions.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Bandito

Thank you very much for your response.

Since you were able to perform the clean install of Windows® and test different drivers again and the issue stills persists, this points out to a hardware failure. We understand that this is not the answer you would like to hear but we think we have exahusted troubleshooting options. Having said that, we will proceed to close this thread from our side now, and it will no longer be monitored by Intel®.

However, interactions with community peers can continue on the thread in case community members have more suggestions and they want to jump in and help.

Thank you for your understanding and it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.