Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CLi41
Beginner

NUC6i7KYK Fan always on upon shut down! Help ~ Problem with the HDMI??

Recently bought the Skull Canyon Nuc and went through the Windows 10 install /drivers/bios/firmware updates...

After the whole process discovered that after "shut-down" the fan will turn on itself very very high and persists,

but on a restart and the NUC is powered on the fan spins low and quiet, only on high loads do the fan kick in a bit but never full blown like when its shut down.

I tried windows 10 recovery/ another clean windows 10 install/update BIOS again/ re-installation of every single drivers but to no avail trying to figure out the problem.

Until once I unplugged the HDMI cable while the NUC was shut-down the fan stops! Must be a bad update on the HDMI 2.0 Firmware???

~ I messed up updating the HDMI 2.0 firmware on a non Device (Dell U2414H) and crashed, and only after did I do a proper HDMI 2.0 update on a compatible device, thinking it'll be fine.

Firmware updated with a 2.0 HDMI connected device (Samsung 6 series 4K TV), while remaining plugged to the TV the NUC shuts down perfectly with no fan activation.

But once booting in or shutting down while connected to a non HDMI 2.0 Device (Dell U2414H) the fan issue starts again and will become persistent until another update of the 2.0 firmware is done.

HELP!! how do I fix this and is the HDMI firmware issue or do I actually have a faulty unit.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Will-L,

Could you please let me know your BIOS version?

Do you remember if the issue happened after the incident with the HDMI firmware update?

Regards,

Amy.

Ea1
Beginner

I have the exact same problem. I got my NUC 3 days ago. Did the same installation (Win10/drivers/bios). I noticed it started to do the same behaviour (fan always on, power light on) after I did the BIOS upgrade. Before that it was fine. Also, fan stays on while putting computer to sleep now (in addition to staying on when doing a shutdown).

The only way I can shut down the NUC is either hold the power button for a few seconds (not a clean shutdown!), or do a restart in Windows and quickly press the power button when I see the BIOS screen...

I have a Samsung series 6, 4K HDTV as well.

I installed the latest BIOS. Can we flash to a previous BIOS version? I can't find previous BIOS on Intel's download center...

Ea1
Beginner

Found a solution!!

- go into BIOS and make sure the setting "IGD Minimum Memory" is 256MB or less. Anything higher and the shutdown/sleep fan/light problems are back. You can find it under "Devices>Video"

Long version:

- flashed bios to older ver 41: problem is still there

- flashed back to latest bios ver 42: problem is still there

- loaded default bios settings (F9): problem is gone!!

- put back my custom settings in bios: problem is back

- reloaded back default bios settings, then customized only a few settings at a time until I could isolate the problem. Finally found out it was the "IGD Minimim Memory" settings if set above 256MB

Since I have 32GB of ram, I figured I could put everything to the max values in the Video tab...

Hope that solution works for you!

CLi41
Beginner

Hi Eric, glad you solved your problem, and I have 32GBs of ram too. I too have tried flashing back to the oldest version of the BIOs available from the intel site for the NUC but problems persists.

My BIOS settings was always on default so the "IGD Minimum Memory" setting was already lower than 256MB, tried it again at 256MB too but no luck.

Had even pulled the jumper to flash a new BIOS but nothing seems to fix this

Thanks for the help anyways! Chatted with Intel support and they say it might be a faulty fan controller so will have to return the unit.

CLi41
Beginner

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. KYSKLi70.86A.0042.2016.0929.1933

Unfortunately not really sure when this problem exactly started, went through the Windows 10 install /drivers/bios/firmware updates in one go.

idata
Community Manager

You can always try replacing the unit, since you already tried flashed the BIOS and also tried the recovery.

Regards,

Amy.

idata
Community Manager

/thread/111718 Will-L, were you able to replace the unit?

Regards,

Amy.

SBoui
Beginner

What did you end up doing? I'm having the same problem.

ronei
Beginner

I have the same problem. Was there a fix?

idata
Community Manager

For /thread/111718 Will-L case we recommended to replace the unit.

For us to further assist you and to help you with the specific problem, please create a new thread, make sure to add all the details in regard to your system. This way the next agent will have a better look at your specific scenario, you can add this thread as a reference but I recommend creating a new thread in order to isolate your case.

Regards,

Amy C.

EBara6
Beginner

FYI, I purchased a NUC6i7KYK two weeks ago for audio recording, and this problem just started happening right after I added an HDMI 2.0 bi-directional switch box. The fan would blast up to high speed after shutting down. All cables were HDMI 2.0 as well as the switching box. I plugged the NUC directly back in to the monitor and it stopped.

Then I tried one last thing- I swapped the NUC and my other computer into the opposite ports of the HDMI switch (ports 1 & 2 --> ports 2 & 1). Even though the ports were exactly the same, the NUC is fine now, turns out it just didn't like one of the ports.. :/ The other (older) computer seems to like it.