Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12507 Discussions

NUC6i7KYK HDMI audio glitch

AOgle
Novice

I have a very strange audio issue that I'd like advice on.

I recently replaced my NUC DC3217BY with the NUC6i7KYK. The computer sits under my TV for media playback, video calling, and gaming.

My TV is a Panasonic plasma from 2008 with Full HD resolution. The surround amp is a Marantz NR1601 (HDMI1.4a) with 7.1 surround.

Windows is set up to output 7.1 with 24-bit audio @ 96kHz. This setting is common between the two NUCs.

For media, I stream YouTube or Netflix, play video files using VLC, and play DVDs/Blu-Rays using WinDVDPro.

With my DC3217BY I used WinDVDPro11, on the NUC6i7KYK I use WinDVDPro12. The drive is a Pioneer BDR-XU03 connected to one of the rear USB3.0 ports of the NUC.

The DC3217BY setup was flawless. It is only nearly flawless with the NUC6i7KYK.

I can play everything, but when I open WinDVDPro12 to play a DVD or Blu-Ray, I notice the PCM indicator on my amp blinks off for about half a second every 10-20 seconds with an accompanying break in audio from the speakers. There is no issue with the video playback at all.

If I close WinDVDPro, the audio glitch continues on the same cadence regardless of what programs I open or what media I play.

The only way to get it to stop is either to put the computer into and out of standby or select a different audio playback device from the Windows 10 volume dialogue and then switch back to HDMI.

While WinDVDPro is open, if I change audio output to the headset jack or my Bluetooth headphones, there is no glitching on those outputs. When I revert to HDMI, the glitching resumes.

I have downloaded the Intel Driver Update Utility. However, when it scans my computer it keeps throwing up the same software and drivers as out-of-date. Attempts to install recommended versions fail. The graphics driver and the audio driver, however, are up-to-date. The chipset, Thunderbolt and a couple of others (including CIR) are flagged as wrong (I am not using the Thunderbolt port yet, the CIR seems to work without issue).

I have tried to run the HDMI v2.0 firmware update, but it will not install until I connect a HDMI v2.0 compliant device, which I do not have.

I don't believe I can blame WinDVDPro for the glitching as all it has to do is decode the audio and video from any disc that is playing, which it does correctly with all my other audio devices and there is no issue with the video at any point.

The fact that the issue starts when WinDVDPro starts is suspicious, but closing WinDVDPro does not fix it (I have to adjust audio output or put the computer to sleep).

The HDMI cables are all 1.4 high-speed and are 3' or 4' in length, so signal distortion does not seem likely (and anyway, audio is fine with every program except WinDVDPro).

My Marantz receiver is compatible with the audio settings I have.

Are there any known incompatibilities with HDMI audio that I can investigate?

Why doesn't the driver update utility work correctly to update all the drivers it says are outdated?

I have tried altering the settings for audio in Windows, but no sample rate or dynamic range bit-depth has any different effect. I have tried changing the way WinDVDPro works with audio from the DVD/Blu-Ray discs, but again no change.

0 Kudos
80 Replies
idata
Employee

Alex, thank you for sharing your results.

Please let me review this, I will keep you updated as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy.

idata
Employee

In regard to your second question, t he issue you pointed out with the Intel® Driver Update Utility is under investigation, an upcoming version will show some improvement. We are working on additional fixes, which we hope to have ready soon.

Regards,

Amy.

idata
Employee

I'll try that, usb type c to hdmi passes through audio too hey? thanks.

TJinY
Beginner

Did this thread just went into the ignore stash ? cvare CommunityAdmin

Chris_V_Intel

Calvinz, I do apologize, I know I have been lax in responding to this, but I will tell you when it something that can't be easily reproduced and only a few people are mentioning this issue, it is VERY hard to get any traction with the team.

That being said, I still want to help, I'll PM you.

AOgle
Novice

Hello,

It has been a while since I last contributed, sorry about that.

I do wonder if this thread has gone a little off-topic with discussions of HDMI2.0, Quad HD and Dolby Atmos...

My setup still has the audio glitch.

I updated all my drivers, today, and got the new version of the Intel Driver Update Utility. I am sad to report that the new version is no better than the previous for suggesting updates to drivers that it then fails to install. See this screenshot of the latest update. The only two that installed properly were the last two and even then the Gigabit driver seems to be reporting the old number in Device Manager after reboot.

Anyway, the audio glitch still appears through my Marantz amplifier.

I read through the posts here, and some are interesting...

I connected my NUC6i7KYK directly to my TV and audio was fine. However, the TV can only support Stereo.

I installed the Dolby Atmos software (since Windows 10 now offers that option) and it stopped audio on my computer altogether.

Perhaps this is not surprising since my setup is only Full HD over HDMI1.4a.

After re-installing the Intel GFX driver, audio is restored, with glitch.

Either the computer isn't outputting it properly or my amp is not interpreting it correctly. Since the amp worked fine with the same output settings on my DC3217BY then I have to assume my amp is fine.

It doesn't matter what audio setup I use: stereo, quadrophonic, 5.1, 7.1.

I do wonder whether it's to do with audio coming from the DVD/Blu-Ray not being passed correctly.

As I said at the outset, this only begins when I play discs through WinDVDPro (I don't have any other software that can play discs), but it remains with the system until after I reset or change the audio output.

The incompatibility is only with the HDMI output.

Chris_V_Intel

Welcome back Wiggle.

Yes, we realize that the download utility is...difficult to deal with. The good news is a new tool is under developmet from the ground up. Won't be out for a few months, so I would suggest you just use downloadcenter for now (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/89187/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK).

BTW, I uploaded a new GFX driver version: 15.45.18.4664, it should be live later today (PST), so you may want to try that as well, though I'm not sure it will fix the issue.

I agree, I don't think it's your receiver either, as too many people have complained about this with different receivers and HDMI 1.4 AND 2.0.

I've actually had Calvinz above send his NUC in to our team to see if we can replicate anything, as so far we haven't been able to.

Just to refresh, as you said this is only on HDMI, Type C, or mini DP to HDMI works fine?

AOgle
Novice

I confess that other Intel processor-based computers I have seem to be working much better with version 2.8.1.9 of the update tool, so I can't wait to get back and ensure that is installed on my computer at home.

I shall run through all the updates again (I am particularly keen on the BIOS upgrade that fixed hyperthreading so I can enable that).

I have only used HDMI from the NUC to the amplifier or the TV, I have not tried USB or miniDP. I do not have adapters for those. I wonder if I can find one...

However, HDMI would be my cable of choice.

AOgle
Novice

Oh, sorry, I mis-read your reply in response to my own.

When I said the incompatibility was only with HDMI, I did not mean that I had tested display adapters. What I meant was that the audio glitch does not happen on Bluetooth or analogue audio outputs. I have not tried the S/PDIF connector (although I most often switch to and from that after DVD playback to return computer audio to normal). I suppose I could plug it into my amp to confirm it works.

LAnde9
Beginner

Hi Cvare

Do you have a release date for the new tool you mentioned in may?

"Yes, we realize that the download utility is...difficult to deal with. The good news is a new tool is under developmet from the ground up. Won't be out for a few months"

Do you have a beta I can try?

Chris_V_Intel

I don't, I'm sorry. But I'm hoping in the next couple months!

LAnde9
Beginner

Please try contacting the developers again.

I spent a 1000$ for this Nuc one year ago.

And still there is no solution.

Quite unacceptable.

My old NUC6I5SYH is working like a dream without sound problems and my Nvidia shield.

Only the nuc6i7kyk is not working.

Please help me

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi LarsLars,

I understand your frustration and i apologize for that, this issue has been really hard to duplicate.

I don't know if the latest graphics driver addresses this issue but I thought I should let you know that there is a new driver release: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26836 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26836 version: 15.45.19.4678. Can you please give it a try and report back?

Regards,

Ronny G

LAnde9
Beginner

HI Ronny G

It was already the driver that I was using.

Just to be thorough:

* I disabled windows automatic driver updates

* rebooted to safe mode

* I uninstalled Intel graphics drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller DDU from 3dguru.

* rebooted

* reinstalled the driver

* rebooted

and tested with the files from Cvares post Apr 7, 2017 12:23 PM

Paris: http://www.demo-world.eu/download-2d-trailers-uhd/%3Ffile%3Dlg_paris_uhd-DWEU.mkv%26pic%3Dlg_paris.j... 2D Demo Trailers (UHD) Download Center

Sydney: http://www.demo-world.eu/download-2d-trailers-uhd/%3Ffile%3Dlg_sydney_uhd-DWEU.mkv%26pic%3Dlg_sydney... 2D Demo Trailers (UHD) Download Center

HD Club Showreel: http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php%3Fcat%3Duhd%26id%3D35 Demo Ultra-HD - HD Club - Showreel

I experienced dropouts in all of these.

I can see there seems to be a pattern

Dropouts at the ca. first 10-20 seconds and at 2 min 40 - 55 seconds and so forth

And then there is irregular dropouts.

Regards,

Lars
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi LarsLars,

Thanks for your confirmation and additional information.

I will run this again by the NUC team and I will get back to you.

Thanks,

Ronny G

LAnde9
Beginner

Hi Ronny.

Nevermind. I can not have a useless mediacenter standing anymore.

a waste of spacve

That is not why i bought that expencive thing!

I threw my NUC in the trash.

You guys have a horrible customer Service.

It has been an issue on your forums for over a year >:/

http://NUC6I7KYK (Skull Canyon NUC) Occasional Dropout of Dolby Digital (AC3) over HDMI look here

Never buying crap like this again

AOgle
Novice

I installed the latest Driver Update Utility, this weekend (2.9.0.2).

I have a new Thunderbolt dock to go with the computer, but it does not seem to be affecting performance.

The audio glitch is still present on my HDMI output when playing Blu-Ray and DVD in the external player through WinDVD.

Actually, I did just have a thought as I was about to type 'optical discs', but realised that I have not tried trusty old CDs in there...

Could be an interesting experiment.

Side note: Unfortunately even v2.9.0.2 of the Update Utility still nags me that my IR and Thunderbolt drivers are out-of-date. In each case of trying to update, the IR only offers to uninstall itself and the Thunderbolt just fails to install.

AOgle
Novice

OK, from my perspective it looks like this thread can be wrapped up (apart from the Update Utility acting up, but that's not the purpose of it).

I played a CD in WinDVD Pro 11 and the glitch came up almost immediately.

I stopped the playback, closed WinDVD Pro and fixed the glitch by swapping the audio output temporarily.

Then I opened Windows Media Player and got it to play the disc: no glitching.

Since Windows Media Player does not play video discs (and I can't believe I didn't try this sooner), I downloaded VLC for the desktop. I prefer the UI of the Store app, but that one is hobbled to not support disc playback for some reason.

Anyway, everything I throw at VLC plays flawlessly.

I shall direct my attention to Corel about their product and invite them to look into a fix (their UI is better than VLC, so I think it will be worth it).

Perhaps the fine fellows at Intel could stretch to a WinDVD Pro licence to check out where the issue lies...

It's such a shame that the Windows media experienced is riddled with players that work for some filetypes but not others, or work for all but have a bad UI.

Chris_V_Intel

Thank you for letting us know your experience and I hope you enjoy your NUC!

AOgle
Novice

Actually, it seems we may have to keep this going if only to document what is going on.

Corel went through a protracted and messy uninstallation process and eventually performed a clean installation only to get things back exactly as they were.

In the end, the tech support chap said that VLC works because of "layers" that somehow make things work and that WinDVDPro does not use these but outputs the raw audio directly.

Anyway, I am soon to try a clean re-installation of Windows 10 to see if that can help at all. I am all out of other ideas.

AOgle
Novice

OK, I finally bit the bullet and tried a re-installation of Windows 10 without preserving anything.

Some notes from this:

- I updated my RAID driver from Intel before the re-installation and this seems to have contributed to a much faster primary storage drive (I have two Intel 600p drives in RAID0).

- General computer performance seems to be significantly improved and I am no longer being told to update drivers from Intel that are already up-to-date.

- The computer fan is much more consistently quiet now with the same thermal profile as before (a custom one I created to favour keeping the processor at around 50°C).

- The IR input now responds more reliably to power commands from my TV remote.

- Bluetooth has fewer dropouts.

- I had to fight to get my Razer Stargazer (Intel RealSense SR300) camera to work properly with Windows Hello, which seems to be driver related.

- I can now keep the default setting for allowing applications to take exclusive control of the HDMI audio output and giving them priority without the video output also stuttering to a halt.

- initially, WinDVD Pro12 had a much reduced instance of the audio glitching (same blip, but once every 30 seconds instead of once every couple of seconds). This was with me turning off exclusive application control, as I had it before.

- After turning on exclusive mode, I now get the proper audio feed output from WinDVDPro (proper Dolby from the Blu-Ray) but with glitches at the rate I first complained about.

- I no longer need to change audio modes after exiting WinDVD Pro 12 to recover the audio for other applications.

It really does seem like there is some sort of driver issue at play here.