Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LHoan3
Beginner

NUC6i7KYK - I found an issue with usb and thunderbolt port

Without thunderbolt devices plugged in, everything work fine but...

When i connect to a monitor through thunderbolt port, my HDD connected to front usb port will be disconnected after few minutes.

(I'm using windows 10 64bit and I already installed all lastest firmwares, drivers, bios and restarted my NUC).

Please check it.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Vfrank,

I understand that you are having problems when connecting a monitor via USB-C while having a USB HDD connected.

Regarding this, To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, please provide us with the model of the HDD you are connecting.

Regards,

David V
LHoan3
Beginner

I attached the report.

My HDD is "WD my passport" 2TB

idata
Community Manager

Hello Vfrank,

Thank you for your response,

I was reviewing the information and everything seems to be good and up to date,however I was unable to check the USB-C firmware version.

Please download the following USB-firmware updater, run it and let it update:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26788/Thunderbolt-3-Controller-Firmware-Update-Tool?produc... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26788/Thunderbolt-3-Controller-Firmware-Update-Tool?produc...

After this is done, restart the system and try again to see if the unit is ejected. Something else that I want you to try if the issue happens again is to connect the "WD My passport" unit to one of the USB ports on the back and then the monitor and see if that happens to those USB ports as well.

Let us know the outcome please.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello Vfrank,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
LHoan3
Beginner

Now I have only one thunderbolt device that is "usb-c to hdmi adapter". I already connected to a monitor but I still could not install thunderbolt firmware. I dont want to buy another thunderbolt device just for installing firmware so I switch to hdmi and minidisplay port.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Vfrank,

First, bear in mind that Intel* does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. We can recommend you to update your graphics driver, that in some cases will fix the problem

In order to do the graphics driver update, please download the ".zip" file from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-65-?pr... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-65-?pr...

After that is done, please follow the steps below:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

Let us know the outcome please.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello Vfrank,

I would like to know if you were able to update the driver by following the instructions.

Regards,

David V
LHoan3
Beginner

I already installed all drivers include graphic driver. You can use any usb-c device to test it.

Now i just use hdmi or mini displayport without problems.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Vfrank,

I understand that you have been trying the unit with the adapter USB-C to HDMI, however, Have you actually tried USB-C to USB-C? Have you tried connecting something different than a monitor to the USB-C port? Let me know so I can have more information about the problem.

Regards,

David V
LHoan3
Beginner

Now my NUC has another problem. It freezes randomly while i'm watching movie, I must hold power button to turn it off.

Dont ask me to install lastest bios or graphic driver because I have done already.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Vfrank,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

David V
LHoan3
Beginner

Today I watched movie for few hours without freezing. I hope it's just software problem

idata
Community Manager

Hello Vfrank,

I am glad to hear that you haven't had the problem when watching the movie. Let me know if the issue persists. Also, I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello Vfrank,

Regards,

David V
LHoan3
Beginner

I have been watching movie for 2 weeks and there is no more freezing. It might be software or graphic driver problem. I'm happy now.