Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DNitt1
Beginner

NUC6i7KYK Replacement Fan??

Can't find a listing for a replacement fan. I do see RMA's listed for this problem, but is it still covered? Can anyone tell me what you've done?

Mine is whining and stops every once in a while.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello dnitta,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

If your unit experiences these behaviors, the fan assembly on the Intel® NUC is failing:

• Grinding noises when fan spins, like ball bearings going bad
  • Knocking and ticking, like a fan blade is hitting something
  • Fan squealing
  • Loud rattling noise

To address this issue, please check out the following options:

Option 1: Receive and install a new fan.

You can request a replacement fan kit and replace the fan yourself. Review the fan replacement instructions before deciding on this option.

Option 2: Request an RMA replacement for the entire Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK.

Submit a https://supporttickets.intel.com/ warranty replacement for the Intel NUC.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
AVala4
Beginner

I had the same problem. My fan was buzzing a lot, I could stop it by rotating the nuc or knocking on the roof. After few days it became louder and i couldnt stop it anymore so i went to the forums and found someone saying they fixed it by lubricating the fan. So i tried to do that and my fan stopped working. Is there any way to get spare fan. I dont even know if warranty still applies after i did something that stupid.

DNitt1
Beginner

Fans weren't available until January 2019 according to the Support agent. He suggested that I send my NUC in and have another one sent to me. I opted for them to send me one first and sent mine back to them. I was charged for the new one( And I mean New!) and was refunded when they received the old one.

I did the same thing you did but went one step further. I tried to open the fan to see if I could fix it. Pretty much destroyed it. A broken fan is a broken fan! Go and get a new NUC!

AVala4
Beginner

I probably did more less the same thing as you, i took the thingies holding the metall top ot the fan so i could access the fan and put something like wd 40 on the part which connect the motor and the fan itself. So warranty still applied, it didnt count as physical damage?

DNitt1
Beginner

Didn't void the warranty. I'll try to find my documentation and post it here for you.

DNitt1
Beginner

AGREE

Sent: Friday, November 2, 2018 12:22 PM

To: mailto:'supportreplies@intel.com 'supportreplies@intel.com' <</span>mailto:supportreplies@intel.com supportreplies@intel.com>

Subject: RE: Intel Customer Support - Case # : 03707XXXX[ ref:_00DU0XXX._5000PkbXXXXXX ]

Here is the information requested. Thank You!

• Name on the Credit Card:

ME

• Billing/Shipping Address of the Credit Card:

My address

City,Zip

• Phone Number to contact you:

My Phone#

From: mailto:supportreplies@intel.com supportreplies@intel.com [mailto:supportreplies@intel.com mailto:supportreplies@intel.com]

Sent: Friday, November 2, 2018 11:18 AM

To: Me

Subject: Intel Customer Support - Case # : xxxxxxx [ ref:_00DU0XXXX._5000PkbXXXX ]

Hello ME,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

This is the Cross-Ship Agreement email.

Please read the information below and reply with the information requested and your agreement to the terms.

Case # : 0370XXXX.

1. Your credit card will be charged a US $25.00 non-refundable fee for expedited shipment of your replacement unit(s).

• The replacement unit(s) will be shipped within 48 hours.
  • Shipping is Next Business Day (NBD) except for Canada (2-3 Business Days) or Carrier/Location restrictions.
  • If you are a Canadian customer bear in mind that the charge will be in US dollars so you may see a conversion fee from your bank at the moment the refund is processed.
  • A Prepaid Return Label will be included with the replacement unit.
  • Please save the Tracking/Waybill Number for tracking purposes in case of loss or damage.
  • Return the defective unit using the Prepaid Return Label within 30 days.
  • On the outside of the box, include 1) NAME, 2) ADDRESS and 3) RMA Number.
  • If Intel receives the defective unit within 30 days from the charge date, the refund will be applied to the same credit card charged.
  • Both charges ($25 + product cost) will be processed in a single transaction.
  • Refunds may be forfeited if the defective unit is not returned to our warranty return center within 30 days.
  • Billing/Shipping Address of the Credit Card:
  • Phone Number to contact you:

7. Once we have received your reply email with your agreement below, an Intel Customer Support agent will contact you at the above phone number during the day.

8. Please state in writing that you are in agreement of the above terms.

Best regards,

Marvin R.

Intel Customer Support

Under contract to Intel

Intel will use your personal information solely for the purpose it was collected. We will not use your personal information for a different purpose without first asking your permission. In order to fulfill the purpose, we may need to share your personal information within Intel Corporation, Intel subsidiaries worldwide, or with authorized third parties.

<span style="font-...

AVala4
Beginner

Im going to try do the same thing as you did. Thanks!!