Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BBaie2
Novice

NUC6i7KYK Windows 10 Bluescreen after applying October Update.

Jump to solution

Hi, I always get a Bluescreen when I try to access any SD card. Win10 crashes, I can reproduce this every time. I think it's a driver problem with the sd card reader. Bluescreen says "Internal_Power_Error".

1 Solution
10 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. I have checked this function on two NUCs: NUC6i5SYH and NUV8i7HVKVA. Both NUCs updated to the latest Windows 10 Version 1809, Pro and Home accordingly. The SD card can be accessed without problems on my NUCs.
  2. Is you Bios updated to the latest version 0059?
  3. Is the card reader driver installed: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25916/BayHub-Tech-Card-Reader-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC... .

Since this driver is unique for NUV6i7KYK, could be that you are right and there is a driver problem.

Leon

BBaie2
Novice

Hi Leon,

@2: Yes, it is the newest BIOS 0059

@3: Yes, the latest card reader driver is installed

I'm a hobbyist photographer and use the sd card reader frequently, so I can safely say that the sd card reader worked flawlessly before the update. It must be the october update, nothing else changed since.

SChau10
New Contributor II

My NUC6i7KYK (BIOS 0059) is running Windows 10 1809 (RS5) properly. The card reader driver is Microsoft inbox SD controller driver (sdbus.sys/dumpsd.sys/sdstor.sys), not the BayHub Tech driver. The card reader shows up in Device Manager as "SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller". As far as I can tell, the SD card functionality is normal and I'm not getting any OS crashes. I tested with a PNY 256GB SDXC card.

It is not uncommon for a manufacturer's device driver to have compatibility issues with the latest Windows OS release. You may want to change the card reader driver from BayHub Tech driver back to the Microsoft inbox SD controller driver for your NUC6i7KYK, at least temporarily, to see if it can provide any relief to the blue screen crashes.

BBaie2
Novice

I tried that. This driver works with some older 32GB no name sd cards I have lying around, but it doesn't work with 128GB SanDisk sd cards, they're not being recognised.

BBaie2
Novice

Hahaha! I found a working driver on the LENOVO web site: https://support.lenovo.com/pt/de/downloads/ds503732 😋

Thank you Intel staff for your stellar support... 😆

BBaie2
Novice

No, that ain't the solution, either. That lenovo driver works well as long as you keep the sd card in (you can read all data), but when you remove the sd card, the pc crashes with a blue screen.

This is giving me headaches now. I'd rather have Intel support have a deeper look at this. 😒

SChau10
New Contributor II

It really looks like the BayHubTech CR driver does not play nice with Windows 10 1809 (RS5). I went to Microsoft Update Catalog site to download the most recent BayHubTech driver (1.1.101.1024, 7/13/2018) and still managed to crash my NUC6i7KYK running Win10 1809 without trying too hard. A minidump file was left after the system rebooted. Windows automatically rolled the BayHubTech driver out and runs the inbox SD driver again.

I suspect Intel will not be able to help much, as they don't own the CR hardware & driver. Intel will at most be able to pass this crash issue back to BayHubTech and push them to deliver a driver WHQL-certified against Win10 1809 that works without crashing, and perhaps get this driver validated against NUC6i7KYK before posting it.

If I were you, instead of waiting for a cleaned-up BayHubTech driver, I would disable the integrated CR of the NUC6i7KYK and use a USB3-to-SD adapter plugged into one of the USB 3.0 ports.

BBaie2
Novice

After some testing with SD, SDHC and SDXC cards with driver 2.2.2.1080 it really looks like it's working again as expected. Yay! :-)

Many thanks to @Polarspan​ !

@SChau10​ , can you confirm proper behavior of your card reader with this driver version?

SChau10
New Contributor II

I just tried this 2.2.2.1080 driver with my NUC6i7KYK running Win10 Pro 1809 (RS5) and a variety of SD cards from 2GB to 256GB, and did not get any BSOD crashes with the insertions and ejections.

This is a rather old BayHub Tech driver with a 2/16/2016 date, but seems to work fine with Win10 1809.