Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11427 Discussions

NUC6i7KYK Windows 7 - USB 3 working while booted to installer, but no input when booted to Windows 7

nfry
Novice

Initially I wasn't able to get keyboard/mouse input in the W7 installer, I was able to fix that and now have keyboard/mouse input in the installer, however after the computer reboots in the installation process, it then boots to the freshly installed Windows 7 and finishes the installation and configuration. At this point, I've lost Keyboard/Mouse input.

I then used WAIK to inject the USB3 drivers into the boot.wim file for Windows 7 successfully, and reinstalled using that, but I still have the same issue. I know that W7 itself is responsive and the issue is isolated to unresponsive keyboard/mouse because the system completes the installation and gets to the "Set up user" screen, with the cursor blinking and waiting for input. The telltale sign of no mouse recognized (cursor stuck in top left corner) is there at this point, and was there in the Installer before I had got it working with USB 3.

The system is listed as supporting Windows 7, but my question is- how? Has anyone else been able to successfully install Windows 7 that can provide me some guidance?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
FRice
Beginner

I installed Windows7 from a usb3 thumb drive. I added the usb3 driver to the iso. I also grabbed an HP/Samsung nvme driver so that I could install to my Samsung 951 nvme drive. I used a wired kb/mouse through all of the install. I then updated the bios and installed all of the drivers from intel's download area. I have since switched to a Logitech wireless kb/mouse. I haven't had any usb/keyboard/mouse issues. I installed W7 pro + SP1.

Only issue I am having is that the display drivers don't seem to recognize that my dell P2715q monitors can support 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz.

nfry
Novice

Thanks for your reply- would you mind elaborating on how you added the USB3 driver to the iso? I've seen so many different methods I think my brain is going to melt!

Also, I had a similar issue with running 4k@30 vs 60, You may have checked this already, but my issue ended up being that I was running an HDMI 1.4 cable instead of an HDMI 2.0, a cable upgrade fixed it for me. (This was on a system with a GTX 980Ti that supports HDMI 2.0)

FRice
Beginner

I just used the Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility from Intel's website: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility Download Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility It was very simple. The bigger challenge I had was getting the install to see the m.2 drive. I used this driver from hp: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=wk_149537_1 Drivers & Software - HP Support Center. I then extracted it on another machine and copied the drivers onto the install usb in its own directory. Then when the install prompted for where to install windows, I clicked on load drive driver and browsed to the directory on the USB that had the driver. The ssd was then visible to windows install, and everything installed smoothly. Then I just went to intel's downloads: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/89187/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK Drivers & Software for the rest of the drivers. Hope it helps!

I am using both a displayport adapter and an hdmi adapter. I have tried each individually with both monitors and as a pair. I will look into the hdmi 2.0 adapter, but I think it is a driver issue. Still waiting to hear back from intel.

nfry
Novice

The extra detail you provided is very helpful, I seem to have found an older version of the USB 3.0 Creator Utility that doesn't list the UC6i7KYK, but only some older models. Clicking on the link that you provided shows the right models. I hope that when I'm able to attempt this again tonight, the issue is resolved.

In regards to your display issue, I'm aware of only one adapter that will work with HDMI 2.0, it's a http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/displayport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-ada... Club3D product that was built to service connections to TVs from ATI and Pre-Maxwell Nvidia graphics cards. It's my understanding that a direct connection to the HDMI port on the NUC will work with 4k/60, but if memory serves me, the Club3D adapter is the only other way known to adapt DP to HDMI 2.0.

nfry
Novice

Okay, I've tested again now. I guess I did download the right USB 3.0 creator utility, but just in case, I downloaded it again from the link you provided and installed again. I'm having no problems using the Samsung NVME drivers at all. I also used two separate images of Windows 7 Pro, one created with RUFUS and one created with the Windows ISO tool. Both have the same issue of losing input after the reboot as setup completes.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

FRice
Beginner

Do you have a different KB/Mouse? Are they wired or wireless?

OOrke
Beginner

un1b4ll Yes, same here to,

Just regular mouse and keyboard wired, also mentioned in this thread long answer:

Short answer: Add the necessary drivers to the boot.WIM and install.WIM

The Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility tool will, my experience, not add the drivers to the install.WIM only to the boot.WIM

So you get stuck, no keyboard, mouse response, at the first input window after the installation reboot.

Because windows 7 has not found the USB3 drivers in the install part.

Typed on a still spontaneously rebooting NUC6i7KYK

nfry
Novice

I did it, finally. I wasn't able to add the USB drivers to the install.wim because it was erroring out on me every time. Turns out the permissions for the USB 3 drivers that are provided are all messed up, so I used https://blog.nicholasrogoff.com/2010/09/01/how-to-bulk-unblock-files-in-windows-7-or-server-2008/ How to bulk unblock files in Windows 7 or Server 2008 | Nicholas Rogoff's Blog to scrub the files and then they loaded into the install.wim and I was able to get it up and running.

But of course I'm not out of the woods yet!

Now I've been able to get EVERYTHING up and running with one exception. USB-C. There's a device showing in device manager that's the USB controller, and when I run the installer for USB 3.0 inside of Windows 7, it will show in the log that it's installing some files, but REMOVING the files that I had loaded into the install.wim, then I lose the ports (and anything connected to them, including keyboard and mouse), and the installer fails. After that, I've got no USB response whatsoever, and have to start over with a reinstall or reimage. Thoughts, anyone?

nfry
Novice

fariii I think I may have found the fix for your issue with 30hz. I was having the same issue when I got my W7 installed, and updating the HDMI 2.0 Firmware resolved it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26061/HDMI-2-0-Firmware-Update Download HDMI 2.0 Firmware Update

FRice
Beginner

Thanks for thinking of me. Installed, unplugged the monitor, rebooted, did the hokey pokey. When I click on graphics properties > Display> Refresh Rate drop box only has 23p, 24p, 25p, 29p, 30p. If I create a custom resolution @60hz, I get a beyond bandwidth error.

Is this kind of a lame forum? I posted my question last weekend and still haven't had a response from Intel. Similarly, there has be no response from intel to your query either.

Best,

Fred

idata
Community Manager

Hi all,

I'm sorry that it took me some time to come around to this post and to be able to help you.

I can see that you all have been to install Windows 7 but you still have issue with resolution.

At this point what I can suggest is the following:

Uninstall the Intel® Graphics driver please see http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel® Display HDMI/Audio Driver

Once you uninstall the Intel® driver download the Beta driver, you can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25957/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Window... Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

Once the driver is installed restart your system (it will ask to restart).

Follow these steps to change the display resolution:

1. Right-click the Desktop (or press Ctrl Alt F12) and select Graphics properties.
  2. If you are using Windows 8 or 8.1, you need to be in Desktop mode before you can right-click the Desktop.
  3. For Windows 8 or 8.1, select Display from the options presented.
  4. When the Intel® Graphics Control Panel displays, go to the Resolution section. Click the drop down and select a resolution size and refresh rate from the list that displays.
  5. Click Apply. You are prompted with this question, "Do you want to keep these settings?" Once you have the resolution you want, click Ok or Yes.
Also, make sure with your display manufacturer that your display supports this resolution and the refresh rate used.

If the problem still persists try installing the INF file for your monitor. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005952.html Monitor .INF FAQ for Graphics Drivers

Check with your monitor manufacturer on availability of an updated .INF file or monitor driver.

Make sure you also have the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26039/BIOS-Update-KYSKLi70-86A- latest BIOS version for your NUC, please see http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005850.html F7 BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Make sure you are using straight connection from the NUC to monitor (HDMI from the NUC to the HDMI on the monitor); straight connection will give you better results than using any adapters.

If the problem continues, do you have high quality HDMI cable?

If you are attempting to connect to a TV that supports 1080p, 4K, 3D or Deep Color, you will need to use a High Speed HDMI Cable. To verify you have one of these, look along the cabling itself for the printed text which says "High Speed HDMI Cable." If it is not there, you may not be using a cable that is required to work with your display device.

I hope this can be helpful.

Best wishes,

Ivan

idata
Community Manager

Hi all,

I'm just following on this thread to ask you if your issue was resolved with the information provided above or if you still need further assistance.

Thanks,

Ivan

FRice
Beginner

For me, yes, please see:

However, not sure that the OP had his issue resolved.

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for your response and I'm glad that your issue has been resolved.

Best wishes,

Ivan

JBran5
Beginner

How about an easier way to load Windows 7 instead of going through what they just went through?

JBran5
Beginner

There are going to be 1000's of us not going to Windows 10 just like we didn't leave XP until the last minute and this has kept me from buying the Skull Canyon NUC not knowing if I can load 7 on it.