Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC6i7KYK keeps freezing (With Crucial Memory BLS2K16G4S240FSD/CT8902660), help needed please...

Hi,

I have an NUC617KYK, which was bought about a year ago, but was unused.

Last week I bought a new SSD and 32gb of Memory to finally get it going..

The Memory is;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGOF3E4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) SODIMM 260-Pin - BLS2K16G4S240FSD

The SSD is;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGOF3E4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive - CT525MX300SSD

I cannot get the NUC to remain stable, it constantly freezes.

The screen stays on, nothing is garbled, but the mouse and anything onscreen just freezes, if it is in sleep mode it freezes with a black screen.

It freezes during a Win10 install. It freezes after 10, 20, 12, 28 minutes, when Idle or under load.. No rhyme or reason really.

Usually just as I click the mouse though

I have managed to install Win10 by lowering the CAS Latency and taking the lid off, which definitely helped a little (enough to install Win10).

(Latest BIOS and latest MS Win10 Iso from MS, and latest driver set from Intel)

Debian 9.0 installed beautifully (in non-graphical install) and runs pretty smooth until pushed at which point it also freezes in the same way as windows.

Having gone through the forums here a little, I can see that my memory is technically unverified,

although I chose it because the crucial website listed it as compatible and a couple of online reviews used it in tests and seemed to have no issues.

Has anyone had any issues (or luck) with this memory?

I have tried changing the timings, speed, and multiplier down, but it hasn't made any difference, the NUC eventually freezes.

I'm a little unsure about how I should be changing the settings and basically just bumping them down a few notches.

I don't even know half of the memory settings in the BIOS, the last time I played with memory timings it was literally the turn of the century! (a Pentium II if I recall...)

Should I return the memory and get a verified set? or Is it the NUC that needs returning?

Or can a NUC guru help me out with memory timings (if it is that)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I keep seeing this issue come up over and over and over. The answer remains the same: You must use DDR4-2133 DIMMs with the KY NUC. It was not designed for nor validated to work with any faster DIMMs.

Some folks have said that they have been successful getting the system stable by dialing down the performance of faster DIMMs. A lot more people have said they they were unable to do so, however. If you really want to try to use what you have, I hope that one of the folks who got this working can explain what to do. I won't; my recommendation is to get the right DIMMs.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Scott, (Should I call you N.? :-) )

Thanks for the reply..

It does help, I really wanted to know whether it was the NUC or the memory at fault since one or the other needs to be changed.

It's a little frustrating that Intel don't make it clear that this particular NUC has issues with different types of memory..

I had checked their specs page.

https://ark.intel.com/products/89187/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK Product Specifications

and it makes no mention of verified memory and clearly states DDR4-2133+ 1.2V, 1.35V SO-DIMM,

So having mentioned 2133+ I (incorrectly) assumed that the crucial memory would work..

I had also cross-checked with the crucial website and it listed that this memory as compatible.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for//nuc6i7kyk http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for//nuc6i7kyk

I then further checked 2 reviews

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10602/memory-frequency-scaling-on-skull-canyon/2 Premium DRAM Options for the Skull Canyon NUC - Memory Frequency Scaling on Intel's Skull Canyon NUC - An Investigation

http://www.legitreviews.com/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-2400mhz-ddr4-sodimm-memory-kit-review_182281 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM Memory Kit Review - Legit ReviewsCrucial Ballistix Sport LT SODIMM Kits A…

Both of which appeared to have no issues with this exact memory.

It was only after having issues that led me to these forums...

I can change the memory since I bought it from Amazon (US), but I live abroad and use a service from my US address to get stuff here.

So that will take extra time and money, hence the reason I asked for help, If I can spend a few days configuring the memory, It will get me up and running quicker...

Whilst I don't need hand-holding maybe someone can point me the right direction with adjusting the timings (even just a link), or if anyone has experience with this memory...

I'd like to try to get it to work before sending the memory back.

gee gee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi GeGe,

Although memory speeds above 2133MHz should work and a few of them are validated by Intel (up till 2800MHz) your type is not tested and/or validated.

To see what type of memory is validated by Intel see:

http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC... http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC...

Memory configurators from memory manufacturers are mostly based on specifications rather then tested in real life where as the memory validated by Intel is.

Regards,

Leon Merts

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Referring to the Intel Product Compatibility tool. The are a lot of memory rated above 2133mhz that is Intel Validated work with the Skull Canyon.

You say 2133mhz is the only thing that is actually usable, how come intel has memory outside the specs documented and validated to work?

I'm using the 2666mhz version of the same brand / model as the thread starter. I can run endless loops of memory testing without problems.

Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the reply AlexanderR..

I can't even get a instance of youtube running... It eventually freezes.

Good to know someone has the same Brand/Model memory as me running without issues.

I've tried downclocking it to 2133 and lowering timings to no avail.

I was about to exchange the memory for a verified set.

However now I think I'll return the NUC 1st!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I had a different problem that you experience.

My nuc would lock up every time i played a .mkv file with mp-hc.

My nuc i stable in every other way. I only have / had issues when playing back video or running games. Youtube works flawless.

I installed an older random graphics driver witch has worked for me without any freezes.

iris pro 580, beta 15.40.18.64.4380

It's worth a try

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I have been told that the NUC6i7KYK was not designed for nor is it tested to work with memory faster that 2133MHz. There has not been any formal validation of faster memory. The references that you are referring to are, in most cases, for testing that was performed separately by the Intel Compatibility Labs. This was one set of DIMMs tested on one particular unit. There is no guarantee that these same DIMMs will work on another unit or even that this same unit will support these same DIMMs at some point in the future.

The issue is noise. The memory controllers in the processor generate noise. Various components on (and near) the board generate noise. The DIMMs themselves generation noise. This all adds up. In the design of the board, various steps (inclusion of termination resistors, trace length matching, etc. and etc.) are implemented to suppress this noise. While particular memory might work in a particular instance initially, as time goes by and components naturally degrade - and generate additional noise - you will eventually reach the point where this noise exceeds data detection thresholds and data integrity drops below recoverable levels. Because the NUC6i7KYK was not designed to support these faster speeds, it will reach this point far more quickly than it would otherwise. Whether this happens within your lifetime for this system is an unknown (noise is unpredictable). This is why we continue to recommend that you use only 2133MHz memory. You are free to use faster memory if you like, but if something fails and Intel cannot reproduce the issue on their test machines, resolution of the issue, if at all, will take a lot longer.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

The reason i went for faster memory i simply because i could find anywhere that sold any of the 2133mhz memory that is validated / recommended when i bought the nuc.

A friend of mine has 2133mhz memory that is on the validated list in his skull canyon. Every time i run into an issue with my nuc / we test the same configuration on his machine witch gives the same results every time so far. The machines is identical in every way except memory.

I ran faster memory on the i5 nuc i had before for 3 years without problems.

I've done a lot of memory testing on my nuc with memtest and other tools. I've never seen an issue during these tests.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have the problem across both Win10 and Debian9, when pushing the machine.. Win10 is the worst culprit. Debian seems to "idle" better.

So it's not really a driver issue, I think.

Actually Scott's 2nd post makes a lot of sense...

This is an older NUC (about a year), and a single sodimm seems to last longer than a pair before a freeze (Both Sodimms pass a memory check).

Neither Sodimm seems to be the better than the other.

Once the unit has "warmed" up the freezes are more frequent and in Win10 the unit becomes unusable, Debian is fine until pushed...

So I think it may be a combination of heat and noise..

I'm going to change both Nuc and memory and start from scratch!

0 Kudos