Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7 audio jack popping

I have received my NUC7I5BNK a few days ago, and I'm noticing some strange noise when I plug my earbuds in the audio jack. My earbuds are Soundmagic E10C with an in-line remote and microphone. When I plug them in the NUC jack the realtek manager pops up. If I set them as headphones everything works as intended. I can hear a very faint pop after stopping any audio, which I assume is the audio jack being cut out when not in use. When I use the headset setting in the realtek manager however, I can hear the same faint popping sound regularly every few seconds when no audio is being played, which is annoying. I am not sure of this is the normal behaviour of the realtek chip, I thought that maybe it is polling the audio jack when it is expecting a microphone maybe.

Could other NUC owners advise if they have noticed a similar thing? The pop is very faint and only happens when not audio is being played. I am still in my amazon return window so I want to make sure that this is normal, as I don't want to go through an unnecessary return. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

I forgot to mention in my message, I am running Windows 10 with all drivers up to date.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

evalf: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

I tried to replicate the issue on the Intel® NUC7I5BNH, and I got the same result, the popping sound is barely noticeable but it is there.

So, we will start a research on this matter, but just to confirm, did you tried a BIOS update to the latest version 0048?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26934/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95061 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26934/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95061

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

After receiving no reply to my questions, I decided to exchange the NUC. The exchange has the exact same problem, and I also had other issues with the HDMI video and audio output that I noticed with the original NUC. After researching these other issues on the forum I realised that some of these had been going on several generations of NUCs and unfortunately never fixed by Intel. I reluctantly ended up returning the NUCs to amazon as these issues made it unsuitable for my use as an HTPC. I'm hoping that Intel will fix these issues and maybe will buy another one in a year or two, after carefully researching these forum to make sure there are no such issues anymore.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

evalf: Thank you very much for letting us know that information. We are sorry to hear that the NUC was not working as expected. We as Intel respect and appreciate the feedback provided by all the peers in our communities. On the research we do, we always need to confirm the BIOS version that the NUC currently has, so we can try to replicate the issue, that is why I asked for the BIOS version.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I have the same problem as described. I have updated my NUC7i5BKH with the latest BIOS firmware. No improvement with the popping running Windows 10 64bit.

Any further suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Same problem on NUC7I7BNH with Apple earpods . This noise is very annoying. Sometimes peaks of ticks deafen me.

I think the issue was about the audio card power management but I found nothing in the current Realtek driver http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/fix-for-realtek-sound-popping-and-or-high-pitched-tone-squea... Fix for Realtek sound popping and/or high pitched tone/squeal | NotebookReview

Intel, make something, quiclky, PLEASE

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

bergman, Delurk: In this case, please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for that is that every scenario is different, even if the same product is being used. An agent will help you in order to try to fix the specific problem the NUC might have, so please submit a new thread to get further assistance:

/community/tech https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos