Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7 i3 i5 i7 BNH 4TB Internal Storage?

Samsung's 4TB SSD is on the market & 9mm 4TB HDD's are imminent. Has anyone located specs, or will Intel comment upon the capability of NUC7 BNH's mainboards to operate with an M.2 boot drive and a 4TB secondary? (i.e. the maximum 2.5" drive capacity for the mainboard with an M.2 SSD as a system boot drive)

Thanks

B.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello au.voyager,

These models are design to support this configuration, they are able to handle the transfer rates specified for the each driver form. If these two drives are inside the Intel® NUC Kit, it should operate as normal.

Regards,

Amy.

Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for the information Amy. Are you able to confirm NUC7's BIOS & mainboard recognise 4TB or larger SSD & HDD?

Kind regards

B.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

/thread/112371 au.voyager, please let me double check that.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

/thread/112371 au.voyager, thank you for your patience.

I was able to confirm that according to the standard, it should be supported; however, in order to check deeper please let us know if you have any storage model in mind or even fiscally. Just let us know the model.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for pursuing this Amy,

Presently the only 2.5" ~9mm 4TB drive in consumer market is Samsung's 850 EVO (MZ-75E4T0W). Its an SSD and whilst I'd like to use it in a NUC7 BNH, its prohibitively expensive. 15mm (thick) 2.5" 4TB HDDS are on the market but NUC7 BNH only accepts up to 9.5mm thick. ~9mm (thick) 2.5" 4TB HDD's have not been released yet but are imminent and it is my desired second drive (storage) in a NUC7i7BNH (once released) I appreciate Intel cannot test what is not released, however there should be some assurance able to be derived from the interface standards that you mentioned and particularly from the BIOS design/coding of the NUC7 i3, i5, i7 mainboards. Maybe Intel's BIOS coders would be able to comment upon its limitations or ability to recognise 4TB or larger SSD's & HDD's as a second storage device when a primary M.2 SSD (for operating system) is installed?

Thanks again, - looking forward to hearing from you

B.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks B.

Now that you provided the full model, please let me check more information for you.

I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

B, thank you for your patience.

I would like to let you know that we were able to test a Seagate 5TB Barracuda Sata 6GB/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 15mm on this very same Intel® NUC model, and it worked just fine. So, at this stage the 4TB should work fine too, there should not be any particular reason for it not to work since we tested a drive with a higher storage.

Check the specs here; https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST5000LM000/dp/B01M0AADIX Amazon.com: Seagate 5TB Barracuda Sata 6GB/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 15mm Internal Bare/OEM Hard Drive (ST5000LM000): Compu…

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

B, hope you were able to check my previous input.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks Amy, I appreciate the efforts. Well done to get the 15mm HDD inside the NUC7. I assume the case could not be closed as the NUC7 BNH specs list 9.5mm HDD bay?

B.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Sure you're welcome, we are here to help.

We actually tested the 15cm unit, and yes the 9mm won't fit but if you use a different chassis, or dis-assemble the Intel® NUC Kit, it will work.

Regards,

Amy.

Highlighted
Novice

Couldn't the original NUC chasis be slightly modified (primarily the drive cage) so that the 15mm can be accomodated? I've just purchased the NUC795BNH, along with the seagate 4TB drive. Didn't realize that I have wasted my money here since the 15mm won't fit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

mystic_dreamer, my apologies for the inconvenience.

We appreciate your feedback and it will be pass to the proper team.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

That's good news.

I'd like to know if someone tested, if a very large sas ssd i.e. the SAMSUNG PM1633a SAS 16TB is working inside a nuc7i7 ?

The sas drive should be backwards compatible to sata 6gb. But it is a little bit pricy just to try it out.

Regards,

Ullrich

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

I recently bought a nuc7i7bnh and tried to install a 4tb drive. But unfortunately it is true and do to its hight it doesn fit in the hdd tray. I am trying to acquire a spare hdd tray of this model to try and cut off the sides where the srews go into the harddrive. Perhaps it fits this way and I don´t have to dissambnle the whole NUC and buy another chassis. But I cannot find a spare tray. Can someone recommend me where to buy a spare hdd tray for nuc7i7bnh?

kind regards

Nils

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Well, the drive bay is not something that Intel carries in their store's https://click.intel.com/intel-nuc.html?limit=32 Intel® NUC Spare Parts section. My internet search did not yield any hits for this item at all. Bottom line, I see no source for a spare tray. Perhaps there's someone out there who moved their BN NUC into a 3rd-party fanless chassis and would thus be willing to part with their tray?

All that said, the design of the tray in the BN NUCs is such that the drive faces down (i.e. towards the chassis bottom plate). Because of its design - and taking cable routing requirements, etc. and etc. into account - the space for this taller drive would have to grow downwards by ~5mm. Whether, after making this modification to the tray itself, the bottom plate will fit over it and its screws be long enough to accommodate the additional 5mm necessary is an unknown. I have my doubts. If it doesn't fit tightly, then EMI issues, cooling issues, etc. could occur.

Perhaps you should look to see whether there is a fanless chassis that can accommodate 15mm drives...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi There,

thanks for the advice. I will look for a chasis that looks at least cool. If not I will wait until thinner hdd units come out and use the 15mm as exteral storage.

kind regards

Nils

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Amy,

HI. The idea of multiple NUC kits that stack like Legos (registered trademark) was suggested a while back. Could you bring this up again "Post Egg Nogg" season when the boss wants "3Otr. proffits" and the new I8 CPUs will be coming out.

Right now I'm running Akitio expansion over TBT for NVIDIA GTX 960 to do some crypto currency mining. I wish I had four or eight more PCIe slots.

Several for NVMe SSD drives as well as external graphics cards or ASIC boxes.

Next year I will ask for a FPGA companion for my NUC I7. Even SDR (software defined radios) are taking off.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I used this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3767666 on my NUC6CAYS to fit a 15mm hdd drive, fits perfectly

0 Kudos