Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7 i5 to i7 swap - can I keep same windows install?

Just purchased a NUC 7 i5 (NUC7i5BNH) and installed memory, SSD, win 10 pro. Decided I wanted to go for the i7 instead (NUC7i7BNH) which I ordered and will return i5 and using same memory and SSD. Since the hardware is almost all identical other than CPU and GPU can I just swap the SSD and let Windows identify the small changes rather than re-install everything? If so should I re-install chipset and graphics drivers? Anything else? I realize I will likely need to re-activate windows. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Re: NUC7 i5 to i7 swap - can I keep same windows install?

Provided you have already logged into a Microsoft account, the digital entitlement for the Windows 10 license will have been recorded within your account. In this case, you can most-certainly upgrade from the i5 to the i7. It should automatically complete the reassignment of the digital entitlement when you logon. At the same time, a device re-enumeration will automatically take place and it will adjust for the differences between the i5 and i7. This shouldn't even require any driver updates...

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Great, thanks. Should be simple then. I did not register with my Microsoft account but will now as it sounds as though that will simplify the re-activation process.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Should just have to login; no registration process. Again, this is to real MS account; not some other account you registered with MS.

...S

0 Kudos