Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

NUC7CJYH1 no bootable devices

No matter what format or USB drive I cannot get one to boot. I have used actual windows 10 media creator tool and it will not boot on the NUC. I have tried Rufus also with no luck. I partitioned and formatted the drive with GPT and it still won't boot from the flash drive . Unsure of what to do

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Jmz,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

First, you can start by setting BIOS settings to default by pressing F9. Save the settings and exit.

Second, restart the unit and access the F10 menu when the splash screen shows up. Please take a picture of the options available and attach it to the thread.

Also, please provide the BIOS version installed.

Wanner G.

idata
Community Manager

The device listrd on the boot menu is not my flash drive. That option shows up even if all devices are removed. Also if I change os from Windows to Linux in the BIOS the settings aren't saved after choosing save and exit in the bios . It seems hit or miss what settings are saved

idata
Community Manager

Hello Jmz,

Thank you for your response.

Is Legacy Boot enabled? Make sure it is disabled, restart your unit, and try booting from the thumb drive again.

I also recommend you to perform a BIOS recovery. You can follow the instructions on the link below under the BIOS Recovery by the Power Button Menu section.

BIOS Recovery by the Power Button Menu

https://www.intel.vn/content/www/vn/vi/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

Also, please find the Recovery BIOS file below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27563/BIOS-Update-JYGLKCPX-86A-?product=126135

Additionally, just for testing purposes, use a different operating system image or version to check if the thumb drive is detected.

Wanner G.
idata
Community Manager

Legacy boot is off. I have tried Windows and Linux installers and multiple USB devices. I have already tried the BIOS recovery.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Jmz,

Are you able to boot from the flash drive in another unit/system?

Wanner G.
idata
Community Manager

Yes on every other device in the house

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Try completely clearing the Secure Boot configuration and then, if it isn't already, disable the feature. Can you then see the devices?

...S

idata
Community Manager

If I disabled it, save and reboot it doesn't stay disabled

n_scott_pearson

That's why I said clear its configuration.

idata
Community Manager

Yes and that doesn't change my issue

n_scott_pearson

In Visual BIOS, click on Advanced then Devices and Peripherals and then on the Onboard Devices tab. Are both the LAN and WLAN entries in the (left-hand) Onboard Device Configuration window enabled (checked)?

...S

idata
Community Manager

Yes

Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

Looks like BIOS 0037 is available. You might try flashing that onto your NUC to see if the problem goes away. I tried my JYH NUC and it seems to function correctly. You may have a bad NUC. If the BIOS update does not work, contact Customer Service for a replacement unit.

Also, what revision of the EC firmware and TXE firmware does yours have? It is displayed on the Home page 2nd Dot. Mine is: EC FW: 02.23, TXE FW: 4.0.0.1242.

n_scott_pearson

That's good advice from Mitch. If, after installing BIOS 37, the firmware revisions do not match, I recommend that you reinstall BIOS 37 using the jumper-based BIOS Recovery method. After doing so, remember to go into BIOS Setup and use F9 to reset the BIOS configuration to defaults.

...S

idata
Community Manager

Ok, so downloaded new BIOS and put on flash drive. Held power button for three seconds and all I get is power button flash 3 times and a pause and repeat. Pull bios jumper and boot it up and I get the menu and press f4 and it immediately says power off and replace the jumper and turn back on. Updating in bios says error updating capsule.

Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

You don't hold the power button down for 3 seconds when the recovery jumper has been pulled. The system will boot to the recovery menu or the BIOS recovery countdown automatically.

idata
Community Manager

Yes I know. Each sentence is a different attempt

Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

Did you do a low level format of your flash drive as a FAT32 formatted drive and not a quick format? This tends to be more compatible with BIOS recovery. Also, make sure you only have one BIO file in the root of the drive. Multiple BIO files will cause the recovery to fail.

idata
Community Manager

Raw formatted to every Windows format with no change. Fat32, fat, ntfs, exfat. They all result the same. These are fresh newly partitioned drives with no other files on them