cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7I7BNH Cooling Solution

Jump to solution

I bought a NUC7I7BNH in May 2017. I use it mainly as a media server for PLEX mostly without issue but I have always had issues running games on it. The games I've run have been Football Manager and Minecraft, all on low settings. I have observed that once I use it for any graphically intensive task the temperatures skyrocket and the machine soon powers off due to high temps (100 degrees C).

In truth, this wasn't always the case, everything was fine until I installed a set of updates through the intel driver & support assistant which is when I started to notice the temperature spikes. I didn't notice them right away but it's the only other variable that makes sense to me at this point.

I want to know if there's a mod I could maybe purchase or build that would provide my NUC with some serious airflow or cooling that would allow me to run even those games without hitting 100 degrees.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Actually, this shouldn't happen anyway. What you need to do is the following:

1. Reinstall the latest available BIOS release - but this time do so using the BIOS Recovery method. See here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005532.html?wapkw=bios+recovery for more information.
  2. Once this is complete, power back on and, when the BIOS POST Splash Screen appears, press the F2 key to enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS).
  3. Press F9 (followed by click on Y) to reset the BIOS Configuration.
  4. Press F10 (followed by click on Y) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit Visual BIOS.
  5. When the BIOS POST Splash Screen appears, again press F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  6. Make any changes that you require (Boot Order, etc.) or you desire (disable NUMLOCK, etc.) in the BIOS Configuration.
  7. Press F10 (followed by click on Y) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit Visual BIOS.
  8. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted

Actually, this shouldn't happen anyway. What you need to do is the following:

1. Reinstall the latest available BIOS release - but this time do so using the BIOS Recovery method. See here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005532.html?wapkw=bios+recovery for more information.
  2. Once this is complete, power back on and, when the BIOS POST Splash Screen appears, press the F2 key to enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS).
  3. Press F9 (followed by click on Y) to reset the BIOS Configuration.
  4. Press F10 (followed by click on Y) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit Visual BIOS.
  5. When the BIOS POST Splash Screen appears, again press F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  6. Make any changes that you require (Boot Order, etc.) or you desire (disable NUMLOCK, etc.) in the BIOS Configuration.
  7. Press F10 (followed by click on Y) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit Visual BIOS.
  8. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Oops, you can repeat steps 5-8 making changes in the fan speed control programming to see what works best.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Are you saying this should address my temperature issues? I'll give it a go, but what changes am I to expect are these steps?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Well, for starters, you could try the Cool scheme. If that doesn't work well enough, you can set it to Manual and play with the parameters yourself. You could, for example, increase the minimum duty cycle of the blower to, say, 40%. You could also increase the Duty Cycle Increment so that the fan reaches 100% at a lower temperature. These changes are made in the Advanced / Cooling scene in Visual BIOS, BTW.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User
  1. In additional to settings bios according to Scott's suggestion, I would recommend to clean dust from the blower using compressed air duster (one like this https://www.amazon.com/Dust-Off-DPSXL4A-Electronics-Duster-Compressed/dp/B078539Q3X/ref=sr_1_1?keywo...).
  2. Are you hearing that the blower is produces more noise under loads?
  3. You may monitor CPU and Blower RPM using HWmonitor https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html or other application.

Leon

Highlighted
Super User

If you decide to clean the dust from blower, it can be done through the air inlet opening, however since the blower is located on the board upper side, in order to get better access to blower, the board should be removed from the case. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Intel+NUC5i7RYH+Disassembly/98011

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks Leon, I'm going to clean it this weekend and observe any changes.​

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks, I believe this really solved my problem. Temperatures have been way more stable and generally lower.

0 Kudos